Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I'm still for having them put one in space and firing it up. Could make a simple one and attach a solar panel. Might not go anywhere fast, but it would categorically eliminate systemic error possibilities.

It's expensive, but getting this far along is enough to justify the cost.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm still for having them put one in space and firing it up. Could make a simple one and attach a solar panel. Might not go anywhere fast, but it would categorically eliminate systemic error possibilities.

I think you'd just have something that would quickly burn up and a bunch of nerds would argue whether its orbit was decaying the right way. These things produce so much heat that thermal expansion of the heat sink is the primary possible error source.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Rather than throwing one up that makes millnewtons per KW, I'd rather they try to get the thrust up first and then launch one. Spend a year or two and a few billion dollars getting me 1N/W, and this shit is going places.

iannis

Musty Nester
A watt (W) is a derived unit of power in the International System of Units (SI) defined as one joule per second. Power measures the rate of energy conversion or the rate at which work is done. One watt is the rate at which work is done when an object’s velocity is held constant at one meter per second against constant opposing force of one newton.

A newton meter per second (N·m/s) is a derived SI unit of power. It is the amount of work done by a force of one newton when moving an object through a distance of one meter during one second.

m/s // j/s == m / j

I think at 1 N/W you just decided entropy doesn't exist.

Edit: actually my units are wrong. I think it's even worse than that.

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think at 1N/W you have a perpetual motion machine.

Ok, .1N/W? Whatever. I'm not a goddamn scientist. I don't know SI units. I just want a nuclear reactor to be able to levitate itself off the ground and fly directly into space electrically in 1g. Is that too much to ask??

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
No. DoE owns some national labs. They get a ton of work from DHS/DoD/others. Almost all their Non-Nuclear Weapons Related programs are non-DoE funded

A slight correction. All nuclear weapons are under the DoE and that is the #1 mission of the national labs.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Not False. HAHA!

But seriously, you're wrong. They are in the hands of the military, but under control of civilians, by law, and their design, manufacture, and upkeep is done by the DoE. The military only gets to carry them around.

Civilian Control of Atomic Energy

Manhattan Project assets transferred to the Atomic Energy Commission at midnight, December 31, 1946. The AEC exercised governmental control over military, regulatory, and developmental aspects of the atom until 1975 when the agency was disestablished. In its place, Congress created the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to oversee the nuclear power industry and other civilian uses and the Energy Research and Development Administration (ERDA) to coordinate energy development including nuclear power. The AEC's weapons program was folded into ERDA. In 1977, ERDA and the energy programs from a number of other agencies were brought into the new Department of Energy.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Not False. HAHA!

But seriously, you're wrong. They are in the hands of the military, but under control of civilians, by law, and their design, manufacture, and upkeep is done by the DoE. The military only gets to carry them around.

Civilian Control of Atomic Energy
Hmm I stand corrected. I should know that as I support the agency the Manhattan project has evolved into, albeit not on thw nuke matters side.

Also surprised by the funding profiles of some of the labs

iannis

Musty Nester
Not the best 3 minutes to outline what he's talking about.

It sounds like what he's saying is that gravity interacts with itself in some negligible way, but at the scale of galaxies the negligible force becomes observable. It also doesn't sound like he's saying the conceptualization of space in special relativety is wrong, it sounds like he's incorporating it directly into his idea. "Not exactly right" would be more descriptive than "wrong".

The ones in dutch with english subtitles are better.

Basically dark matter does exist, but it's the force carrying particle of gravity. That graviton is not itself truly massless. That SOUNDS like his idea. No idea if it is or not.

iannis

Musty Nester
Which, I suppose after barely thinking about it for a day, means that some of Einstein's conceptions about what happens as you approach c in regards to a massive particle cannot be entirely correct, either.

Because gravity must move at at least and no more than c, and what this guy is proposing (it SOUNDS like, if i'm wrong i'm wrong) is that gravity itself interacts with gravity... which therefore means it has mass in some way and currently cannot truly move at c. Maybe in the way that photon gasses can be said to have mass? Dunno, out of my depth. Trying to frame the concepts behind the math in a non mathematical way, and I probably don't understand his concept in the first place.

Which is probably why no one has pursued this somewhat obvious idea as more than a general idea. Because it would seem to take an awful lot of tedious work in patching up holes. Like... how could gravity effect gravity if it has to move at c. That's absolutely nonsensical on it's surface.

Last edited:

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
My understanding is that tests of extreme sensitivity have been performed against predictions from Einstein's theories of relativity and it has passed all of them to the limits of our ability to perform measurements.

So someone claiming that their hypothesis is correct and Einstein is wrong is going to have to have some pretty serious proofs.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Interesting speculation about how the EMDrive might actually work from the ADMX team... Maybe the EMDrive is pushing again friction with Dark Matter.

Ethan Siegel said:
And the dark matter explanation is highly speculative, requiring many unknowns to have a very particular outcome to account for such an effect. But if the EMdrive really works, a recoil with dark matter is a possible culprit. If it turns out to be the case, the dark matter mystery will be solved once and for all by the most unlikely of candidates: an inventor tinkering with a seemingly impossible engine, only to be vindicated by the missing mass of the Universe.