Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Pretty cool that they discovered a site via lidar. Have you seen any cool point cloud visualizations of what they used to find the site? I wonder how abstract it is.

Jive Turkey

Karen
UT Says 'Body Farm' Study Debunks Widely-Used Forensic Practice - The Knoxville Mercury

UT Says ‘Body Farm’ Study Debunks Widely-Used Forensic Practice

Researchers at the University of Tennessee Knoxville say a first-of-its-kind study debunks a common standard used in forensic science–a finding that could potentially impact court cases around the world.

The study conducted by UT’s Anthropology Research Facility, commonly referred to as the “Body Farm,” shows that human remains decompose at different rates and patterns than pigs and rabbits. That’s important because forensic court cases worldwide routinely use animal models to estimate the time since death for human remains, yet the new study reveals that those methods can yield flawed results since there are large variations in decay, insect activity, and scavenger activity between human bodies and non-human species, UT said in an announcement Wednesday.

“This research provides guidance to lawyers and judges concerning the admissibility of testimony by anthropologists and entomologists,” Dawnie Steadman, director of UT’s Forensic Anthropology Center and the project’s lead investigator, said in a statement.

Steadman and seven other colleagues who worked on the project have thus far presented three papers on the findings and are preparing to submit three others to the Journal of Forensic Sciences for review.

Sally Mann has a great photo series from the body farm called What Remains. There's a documentary too, but that goes more in depth into her personal life than being strictly about the work. The photo series is as amazing as it is morbid. Here's a few images in spoilers if anyone is interested. They're very much in the same disturbing/beautiful vein as Joel Peter Witkin

Sally_Mann_Body_Farm_BW_06.jpg

Sally_Mann_Body_Farm_BW_07.jpg

Sally_Mann_Body_Farm_BW_01.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Pretty cool that they discovered a site via lidar. Have you seen any cool point cloud visualizations of what they used to find the site? I wonder how abstract it is.

I've done a little work with ground penetrating radar to locate building foundations. I dunno much about lidar though. It has been pretty big in arch for awhile now, though.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
duh? Not directed at jihodj but whatever person/community made that assumption.

I think the issue is it wasn't an assumption but rather older studies with less refinement and less technological innovations seemed to indicate that, but Dr Steadman and company have now refuted that previous research.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

Cool story. I wonder why the Europeans brought over all these bugs that wiped out the native Americans but there were no native American bugs that the Europeans didn't have immunity to. Obviously the Euros had been a lot of places and interacted with a lot more people, but you would still think there would be some new shit when 1/3 of the world is entered for the first time.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Cool story. I wonder why the Europeans brought over all these bugs that wiped out the native Americans but there were no native American bugs that the Europeans didn't have immunity to. Obviously the Euros had been a lot of places and interacted with a lot more people, but you would still think there would be some new shit when 1/3 of the world is entered for the first time.

Because every time large agricultural population centers arose in the Americas, within a millenia or so they collapsed due to the decades long droughts that the La Nina/El Nino weather patterns provide.

So large city centers kept collapsing back into hunter gatherer and loose tribal affiliations. That's what happened with the Maya, with the natives at Cahokia Mounds outside of modern day St Louis, several other large population centers of the Americas collapsed due to these climate changes.

So basically in Europe you had these large populations that were living in filthy and squalid conditions right next to domesticated animals and shit that bred disease like crazy. Most of the Eurasian population was becoming effectively immune to these diseases by natural selection in the disease breeding pits of the population centers, but they carried them naturally in their bodies.

This is why the few uncontacted native tribes in like South America at this point are basically left alone. If there's 300 people living in some mud hut in the forests of Honduras, and they met any modern population member, there'd be about 30 people left in a month or so, max.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I've read theories that syphilis was native to the Americas and got brought back to Europe by the first explorers. So yeah, it's no smallpox, but things did go both ways.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
There are plenty of viruses and vacteria that are found in the Americas as well as Europe and Asia. Has hodj said, probably lack of large city-based societies (or the eb and flow of them) prevented a lot of natural epidemics. Plus I'm sure there were some epidemics that arose in cities, its just that we have less historical documentation of them, unlike witu Greeks/Romans/etc...

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I've read theories that syphilis was native to the Americas and got brought back to Europe by the first explorers. So yeah, it's no smallpox, but things did go both ways.

This has definitely been suggested.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
We had stealth blankets, but the Natives had stealth hookers.

How we won will never make sense in the light of this fact.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Hmmm. Can that possibly be true?

There would be a lack of good documentation or really even good indications, but I thought syphillis was native to europe as well.

I mean honestly back in the day they could have easily just marked it off as a whore plague.