Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
^beat me to it
Most bunkers are private owned for a single family or a few families.

We'd need Fallout style Vaults on a large scale.

What is that intelligence agency base that is built into a mountain in the midwest, anyone recall the name of that place? Something like that, with 5000 or so people randomly selected from the population, would be a good starting point.
You talking NORAD, Cheyenne Mountain Complex?

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Question: would iridium phones continue to work without ground stations? Do the satellites talk directly to each other or do they go through ground stations and only the handsets talk to the satellites? Do the satellites also have redundant communication abilities with each other?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hodj learned how to program a single celled organism population simulator in his CompSci 201 class, so now he thinks knows everything about how a sparse human population would work in an apocalypse.

He also read a wiki article.

Hodj, if only 2000 college cheerleaders and yourself made it to the mountain bunker, could you see any way that you could science your way out of certain death and save the species?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
He also read a wiki article.

Hodj, if only 2000 college cheerleaders and yourself made it to the mountain bunker, could you see any way that you could science your way out of certain death and save the species?

I'm sure I'd die of a heart attack long before impregnating all 2000 of them.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Definitely some sort of polearm and silenced ranged weapons would be optimal.

I think Michonne's sword is more or less the ideal slow-zombie killing weapon. Polearm would run the serious risk of them getting inside the swing radius. No problem with a fully edged weapon.

• 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Picasso's hypothesis is actually kind of interesting.

On the one hand half the dna of all offspring would be very diverse, but the other half contributed from the single male occupant would be extremely homogenous.

Probably take a few generations of breeding and something contributing to higher rates of gene mutation like uv radiation in order to make the genome of the population diverse enough to withstand something like a new disease that targets some system that is too similar in all the population.

That is essentially why the Native Americans were so susceptible to the diseases the Europeans brought over. Their genome was too homogeneous due to the genetic bottleneck effect from coming over to the Americas in the first place.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Ah, no. If your population dips below a certain number, there is no recovering from that.

And considering that the population of survivors would be spread across the globe, with little way to contact one another or reach one another, even having that threshold value in total across the surface of the planet means nothing.

You'd have to have that minimum viable population concentrated in an area close enough that they can interbreed.

If one guy in a bunker and his family survives nuclear winter in Canada, and another guy does so in Brazil, your species is still fucked.

Minimum viable population - Wikipedia

There is a marked trend for insularity, surviving genetic bottlenecks and r-strategy to allow far lower MVPs than average. Conversely, taxa easily affected by inbreeding depression – having high MVPs – are often decidedly K-strategists, with low population densities while occurring over a wide range. An MVP of 500 to 1,000 has often been given as an average for terrestrial vertebrates when inbreeding or genetic variability is ignored.[3][4] When inbreeding effects are included, estimates of MVP for many species are in the thousands. Based on a meta-analysis of reported values in the literature for many species, Traill et al. reported a median MVP of 4,169 individuals.[5]

So you can't just assume if some preppers survive a global catastrophe that the species will survive intact.

We'd need bunkers filled with people under mountains. Thousand of them.

Then survival would be viable.

wrong.

life, uh.... finds a way.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

On the one hand half the dna of all offspring would be very diverse, but the other half contributed from the single male occupant would be extremely homogenous.

Probably take a few generations of breeding and something contributing to higher rates of gene mutation like uv radiation in order to make the genome of the population diverse enough to withstand something like a new disease that targets some system that is too similar in all the population.

That is essentially why the Native Americans were so susceptible to the diseases the Europeans brought over. Their genome was too homogeneous due to the genetic bottleneck effect from coming over to the Americas in the first place.

If there was one bunker in one place that survived and all population re-radiated from that spot, yes. But with 7 billion people on earth and 196 countries lets just assume more than 1 bunker would survive and they have a clue how to use shortwave radio.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
At least i hope you would die trying!

Certainly. I would do my part to secure the existence of our people and a future for white childr....

If there was one bunker in one place that survived and all population re-radiated from that spot, yes. But with 7 billion people on earth and 196 countries lets just assume more than 1 bunker would survive and they have a clue how to use shortwave radio.

The issue is how quickly the global catastrophe unfolded, and how much time we had to prepare, and how seriously we took the threat.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I wonder if it'd be possible to naturally impregnate 2000 women before the first one gave birth. My dick hurts just thinking about it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Definitely some sort of polearm and silenced ranged weapons would be optimal.

I think Michonne's sword is more or less the ideal slow-zombie killing weapon. Polearm would run the serious risk of them getting inside the swing radius. No problem with a fully edged weapon.

had a long conversation with my girlfriend about how it would make way more sense for Michonne to have a Naginata - Wikipedia

naginata-feature-girl.png

definitely the ideal medieval Japanese zombie killing weapon anyway. keep your distance from them bites.

• 1Solidarity

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if it'd be possible to naturally impregnate 2000 women before the first one gave birth. My dick hurts just thinking about it.

I don't think so, I think even if you did nothing but eat/fuck/rest, you could probably do 2-3 a day and maintain sperm count. You'd get through about 800 of them before the first ones started giving birth.

• 1Solidarity

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Where do you think the most new diseases would be generated? A dead nuclear wasteland or a sealed bunker.

Is there a wiki where someone has done a study on this?