Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Jive Turkey

Karen
If we knew far enough in advance and could calculate where on the earth the impact would occur, the mass human migration would be chaos. That alone could make for an interesting movie

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A genetically viable seed population is surprisingly small.
Homo Sapiens already went thru a genetic bottleneck. Prior to our expansion out of Africa, the estimates are that at one point there was less than 10K humans around. Save for a handful of % DNA from neanderthal or denisovans that were out before, every single one of the 7+ billion people on earth is descended from those 10k people.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
A good purge of 90% of the population would probably be a good thing anyway.

But yea this was my discussion with hodj back in the climate change thread way back when; sure, some serious shit could happen but I can't picture anything that doesn't kill almost ALL life on earth to really extinct humans at this point. End our civilization? Sure, thats not even that difficult; with the number of people we have today any major interruption to food supply is going to starve half the planet within a couple years. But there's always going to be motherfuckers in bunkers with sustainable power and food packs and whatever else to survive the initial event, and with our technology you could run hydroponics labs underground on nuclear power or hijacked hydro power and feed small populations to rebuild later. The type of event that would really cause humans to go extinct would probably also end all life on the planet. We'll be pretty tough to completely kill off at this point.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Ah, no. If your population dips below a certain number, there is no recovering from that.

And considering that the population of survivors would be spread across the globe, with little way to contact one another or reach one another, even having that threshold value in total across the surface of the planet means nothing.

You'd have to have that minimum viable population concentrated in an area close enough that they can interbreed.

If one guy in a bunker and his family survives nuclear winter in Canada, and another guy does so in Brazil, your species is still fucked.

Minimum viable population - Wikipedia

There is a marked trend for insularity, surviving genetic bottlenecks and r-strategy to allow far lower MVPs than average. Conversely, taxa easily affected by inbreeding depression – having high MVPs – are often decidedly K-strategists, with low population densities while occurring over a wide range. An MVP of 500 to 1,000 has often been given as an average for terrestrial vertebrates when inbreeding or genetic variability is ignored.[3][4] When inbreeding effects are included, estimates of MVP for many species are in the thousands. Based on a meta-analysis of reported values in the literature for many species, Traill et al. reported a median MVP of 4,169 individuals.[5]

So you can't just assume if some preppers survive a global catastrophe that the species will survive intact.

We'd need bunkers filled with people under mountains. Thousand of them.

Then survival would be viable.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Ah, no. If your population dips below a certain number, there is no recovering from that.

And considering that the population of survivors would be spread across the globe, with little way to contact one another or reach one another, even having that threshold value in total across the surface of the planet means nothing.

You'd have to have that minimum viable population concentrated in an area close enough that they can interbreed.

If one guy in a bunker and his family survives nuclear winter in Canada, and another guy does so in Brazil, your species is still fucked.

Congrats for countering an argument I didn't make I guess

/golfclap

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If we knew far enough in advance and could calculate where on the earth the impact would occur, the mass human migration would be chaos. That alone could make for an interesting movie

I'm starting to think instead of a bomb shelter I'm going to go with a blimp, this stroke of genius occurred to me while watching 2012.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

There is a marked trend for insularity, surviving genetic bottlenecks and r-strategy to allow far lower MVPs than average. Conversely, taxa easily affected by inbreeding depression – having high MVPs – are often decidedly K-strategists, with low population densities while occurring over a wide range. An MVP of 500 to 1,000 has often been given as an average for terrestrial vertebrates when inbreeding or genetic variability is ignored.[3][4] When inbreeding effects are included, estimates of MVP for many species are in the thousands. Based on a meta-analysis of reported values in the literature for many species, Traill et al. reported a median MVP of 4,169 individuals.[5]

So you can't just assume if some preppers survive a global catastrophe that the species will survive intact.

We'd need bunkers filled with people under mountains. Thousand of them.

Then survival would be viable.
from your wiki
MVP does not take human intervention into account
Now who is the anthropologist MVP, faggot?!

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I'm not countering an argument you didn't make, I'm pointing out that there are assumptions in your position that may not hold true in the event of a global catastrophe, especially if we didn't prepare/have any real warning for it.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
from your wiki

Now who is the anthropologist MVP, faggot?!

That's referencing humans doing shit like keeping animals in zoos or intervening to breed them artificially you cheeseburger munching faggot.

• 1Salty

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Minimum viable population (MVP) is a lower bound on the population of a species, such that it can survive in the wild.

How wild do you anticipate the bunkers to be hodj?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
* starts climate change/survivability argument with hodj

* backs away slowly

Dr.Evil_.Pic_.1.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That's referencing humans doing shit like keeping animals in zoos or intervening to breed them artificially you cheeseburger munching faggot.
So what you're saying is we need a human zoo in our survival bunker?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Minimum viable population (MVP) is a lower bound on the population of a species, such that it can survive in the wild.

How wild do you anticipate the bunkers to be hodj?

Most bunkers are private owned for a single family or a few families.

We'd need Fallout style Vaults on a large scale.

What is that intelligence agency base that is built into a mountain in the midwest, anyone recall the name of that place? Something like that, with 5000 or so people randomly selected from the population, would be a good starting point.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
* starts climate change/survivability argument with hodj

* backs away slowly

View attachment 118978
Hodj learned how to program a single celled organism population simulator in his CompSci 201 class, so now he thinks knows everything about how a sparse human population would work in an apocalypse.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Hodj learned how to program a single celled organism population simulator in his CompSci 201 class, so now he thinks knows everything about how a sparse human population would work in an apocalypse.

Yeah no.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Oh yea well I watched the Walking Dead, every episode. I think I'm pretty well versed.

I have been practicing my long speeches with my hand on my completely impractical revolver for a while now.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Most bunkers are private owned for a single family or a few families.

We'd need Fallout style Vaults on a large scale.

What is that intelligence agency base that is built into a mountain in the midwest, anyone recall the name of that place? Something like that, with 5000 or so people randomly selected from the population, would be a good starting point.
I forget but wikileak's vault 7 tweets the last few days have started a new slew of conspiracy theories about Svalbard Global Seed Vault - Crop Trust

• 1Solidarity

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Oh yea well I watched the Walking Dead, every episode. I think I'm pretty well versed.

I have been practicing my long speeches with my hand on my completely impractical revolver for a while now.

At least we can agree that a revolver in a zombie apocalypse is a bad choice of weapon.