Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
whzkll.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
That was one of the segments on John Oliver right?

It's basically everyone that's ever done any research into it. World hunger isn't a production problem. We have far in excess of what is necessary to feed the population of the earth. Sam Kinison was basically right. "I'll rent a uhaul. Grab your shit. We're gonna move TO WHERE THE FUCKING FOOD IS!!!!!!!!!"

And fuck africa, fuck indonesia, fuck whatever third world shithole someone wants to imgaine world hunger pertains to. Food Poverty and malnutrition in America itself is not a production problem, and yet we have it.

Malnutrition is a -lot- better than it was 100 years ago though. You don't get very many people coming down with goiters or scurvy anymore just because "that's just part of livin"

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
It's basically everyone that's ever done any research into it. World hunger isn't a production problem. We have far in excess of what is necessary to feed the population of the earth.
Not only we already produce more than we could need, but if those anti-GMO activists were to stand down, we could probably squeeze a couple double digits of productivity out of existing farmland.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Ok I lied. I'm back in this thread only because I need all of you goys to take 10 minutes out of your time and check this out because wtf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Ok I lied. I'm back in this thread only because I need all of you goys to take 10 minutes out of your time and check this out because wtf

wtf because that guy's a fucking loon right? not because you believe any of the crazy shit he says?

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
So pretty cool that this appears to be a stupidly cheap and relatively easy way to get some nice usable high quality graphene. All you have to do is zap it.

Rutgers engineers use microwaves to produce high-quality graphene | (e) Science News

Abstract:
Efficient exfoliation of graphite in solutions to obtain high-quality graphene flakes is desirable for printable electronics, catalysis, energy storage, and composites. Graphite oxide with large lateral dimensions has an exfoliation yield of ~100% but it has not been possible to completely remove the oxygen functional groups so that the reduced form of graphene oxide (GO) remains a highly disordered material. Here, we report a simple, rapid method to reduce GO (rGO) into pristine graphene using 1- to 2-second pulses of microwaves. The excellent structural properties are translated into mobility values of > 1000 centimeter squared per volt per second in field effect transistors (FETs) with MW-rGO as the channel material and in exceptionally high activity for MW-rGO catalyst support toward oxygen evolution reaction (OER).

iannis

Musty Nester

IN.

SPACE.

It's credible enough to toss it on a rocket and see if it'll go.

Kind of exciting. If it moves, it's absolutely revolutionary. If it just sits there and does nothing everyone has a really good laugh and we go back to working on cold fusion.

Of course if it works we're gonna be shooting nuclear reactors into space. Big ones that we can't pretend anymore like we're not shooting nuclear reactors into space. That'll be a fun couple of years of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
IN.

SPACE.

It's credible enough to toss it on a rocket and see if it'll go.

Kind of exciting. If it moves, it's absolutely revolutionary. If it just sits there and does nothing everyone has a really good laugh and we go back to working on cold fusion.

Of course if it works we're gonna be shooting nuclear reactors into space. Big ones that we can't pretend anymore like we're not shooting nuclear reactors into space. That'll be a fun couple of years of DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

I'm no science guy, but i winner if something like large hadron would see benefits of being built in space.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm no science guy, but i winner if something like large hadron would see benefits of being built in space.
At these energies, the gravity isn't much of a problem. Even though the beams can stay rotating for minutes until collision, the amount of energy required to keep them rotating far exceeds the amount of energy required to keep them afloat against gravity.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've been nerding out hard on the chemistry videos lately.

I didn't pay much attention to this stuff in highschool but now I find it fascinating.

All that periodic table goodness.

I love this guy's stuff

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Note that the Cannae drive isn't the same as an EMDrive. The differences are pretty small, but the important thing is that it's a propellentless design.

Like the EMDrive, it's probably bullshit. But the Cannae is unique in that the group making it is very sketchy.

Cubesat Mission Clarification | Cannae
There has been a lot of erroneous information in media articles regarding Cannae’s upcoming launch of a cubesat mission into LEO. To clarify our previous post and press release: Cannae is not using an EmDrive thruster in our upcoming launch. Cannae is using it’s own proprietary thruster technology which requires no on-board propellant to generate thrust. In addition, this project is being done as a private venture. Cannae is only working with our private commercial partners on the upcoming mission.

As for it working in space, I don't think it's easier to prove a very small amount of thrust exists in LEO than it is to prove on the ground. If they have a satellite that maintains orbit indefinitely, or much longer than an inert satellite, they can probably prove unquestionably it's generating thrust on the ground.

And the question isn't whether it can behave the same in space as it can on the ground, we still don't have real proof the Cannae (or EMDrive) produces thrust on the ground. Just a bunch of groups that made one, announced results, then didn't submit to independent verification.

iannis

Musty Nester
Are you sure? There are fewer forces to overcome in LEO and heat transfer works a lot differently. I would think that at the very least LEO helps you to isolate variables. A few of the compreshensible layman critques of the theory behind the drive wouldn't be applicable outside of an atmosphere.

And that's a bummer that they're really not tossing it in space.

When they do, They need to paint a pig on it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They are claiming they will put it in space, but theyve given very few details about how they will test whether it produces thrust. And i doubt they will do their test under indeoendent verification or release the results.

Cannae has always been about marketing and attracting VC or other funding, not about moving our understanding forward.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've been nerding out hard on the chemistry videos lately.

I didn't pay much attention to this stuff in highschool but now I find it fascinating.

All that periodic table goodness.

I love this guy's stuff

Question sciencebros

Why is beta decay called "decay" when the mass of the isotope stays the same?

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
Question sciencebros

Why is beta decay called "decay" when the mass of the isotope stays the same?

It's called decay because the nucleus goes from a higher energy state to a lower energy state through the emission.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users