Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

Remit_sl

shitlord
"Cord Cutters" - Voting with their wallets to only use the cord they want you to. Enjoy your temporary savings bubble.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Considering I'll have zero services with them and I went 6 years without it before, I think I'll be fine. Only reason I reupped was because my youngest son wasn't willing to watch anything that wasn't on the TV (semi special needs). Now he's fine without it and thus, off it goes. Literally no reason to have it and I'm cool without spending $200+ a month on it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Not that this effects probably anyone here, but it is starting to look like networks are really cracking down on Google Fiber users who are illegally downloading movies and TV shows, seemingly at a higher and more aggressive rate than they do with traditional broadband providers.

The Kansas City subreddit (Kansas City: Paris of the Plains) is getting a lot of posts on a regular basis of Google Fiber subscribers getting cease & desist letters from Google on behalf of HBO and movie studios.

A lot of people are starting to think that Google Fiber is being policed harder due to the backlash from regular cable providers, and the ownership ties that many of them have to TV networks and movie studios. I guess its one thing when people drop cable TV, but are at least still paying for cable broadband, it's a whole new level of butthurt when they can ditch both and go to Google.

It's all conspiracy-theory stuff at the moment, but there are a lot of people in KC getting nasty letters REAL fast after getting Google Fiber, that never got them at all on their old internet providers(usually coming from Time Warner in most areas of KC)

Remit_sl

shitlord
I'd believe it, but its probably more of a capacity and target market issue. Why throttle your upload when you have google fiber and are part of some torrent group?

Sounds more like Google is taking a stance of releasing liability to the full extent rather than just forwarding on notices as most carriers do.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not saying IPT or other private trackers are at all safe, but is there any indication the people were using private trackers versus public PB?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
No, no clue about private vs public trackers. If I had to guess, I'd guess most(if not all) were public trackers.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Seems more likely that people are just going hog wild with it once they get all that bandwidth and that makes them more likely to get caught.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Very possible, I would think that someone who can upload/seed at 1000Mbps is going to stand out like a sore thumb until that becomes a little more common

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
So any advice with Century Link. I have an upcoming move and for convenience gave in to one of their door to door guys. 1 year of up to 40mbs for like $35 and I just bring my box and go at the new place so hopefully I'm not deprived net for long. I've been on it for a few weeks now after not setting it up while I rode out last of my local cable provider. (Po dunk town Milliken CO).

I'm wondering if my issues are apt to improve when I move to a new bigger town, or is this what I should be expecting. Basically most of the times when ive speed tested get about 5mb, while trying to play something like War Thunder, I'm constantly getting latency issues if not the whole thing chocking up and going down for a minute or two. Other times requires I repower their modem/router all in one box.

Wondering if this shit is their standard, whether I can complain loud enough for them to fix it someway or just let me out because I'm getting less than a 1/8th of advertised speed much less not even working most of the time. (As I write this after another aborted game, looking at the connected to wifi, but no internet connection icon...)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Whoever asked about X1.. it's alright.

Yes it's an improvement, but over what? Comcast has always been a pile of shit, so it's more like a polished turd now.

The interface is much like Netflix now, you really don't even feel like you're watching TV on a cable box anymore. Mine has a lot of bugs. Remote keeps breaking/not working. Worked on our TV for a month before deciding it didn't like it anymore and none of the codes work. I bought a universal remote and said "fuck this."

More than once the X1 has completely ignored a show that was set to record. It says you can record 4 at once, but it's awesome when it decides to just skip Game of Thrones.

I give it a 4/10, previously Comcast was a 3/10.

That said, internet has been insanely fast since we moved. We upgraded to 110Mbps or whatever it is and it is nice. Their router isn't as shitty as I thought it would be.. it's dual-channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) so it is nice. Use the 5GHz if your device is compatible as it will be less interference.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So any advice with Century Link. I have an upcoming move and for convenience gave in to one of their door to door guys. 1 year of up to 40mbs for like $35 and I just bring my box and go at the new place so hopefully I'm not deprived net for long. I've been on it for a few weeks now after not setting it up while I rode out last of my local cable provider. (Po dunk town Milliken CO).

I'm wondering if my issues are apt to improve when I move to a new bigger town, or is this what I should be expecting. Basically most of the times when ive speed tested get about 5mb, while trying to play something like War Thunder, I'm constantly getting latency issues if not the whole thing chocking up and going down for a minute or two. Other times requires I repower their modem/router all in one box.

Wondering if this shit is their standard, whether I can complain loud enough for them to fix it someway or just let me out because I'm getting less than a 1/8th of advertised speed much less not even working most of the time. (As I write this after another aborted game, looking at the connected to wifi, but no internet connection icon...)
The quality of the connection can definitely vary wildly from location to location. I've had cable broadband before that was horrid with one company, low speeds, constant drops/timeouts, and a friend with the same company in a different neighborhood is fine.

I'd wait until you get to your new location and try it out, it could be a completely different experience. And vice versa, some company that you know is great in your current location, might suck at the new one. You won't really know until you get there and try it out.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
If it still sucks, anyone have advice on how to play hardball/specific threats to get results? I'm generally the wimp who gives into doing dumb surveys to avoid being an ass.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Whoever asked about X1.. it's alright.

Yes it's an improvement, but over what? Comcast has always been a pile of shit, so it's more like a polished turd now.

The interface is much like Netflix now, you really don't even feel like you're watching TV on a cable box anymore. Mine has a lot of bugs. Remote keeps breaking/not working. Worked on our TV for a month before deciding it didn't like it anymore and none of the codes work. I bought a universal remote and said "fuck this."

More than once the X1 has completely ignored a show that was set to record. It says you can record 4 at once, but it's awesome when it decides to just skip Game of Thrones.

I give it a 4/10, previously Comcast was a 3/10.

That said, internet has been insanely fast since we moved. We upgraded to 110Mbps or whatever it is and it is nice. Their router isn't as shitty as I thought it would be.. it's dual-channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) so it is nice. Use the 5GHz if your device is compatible as it will be less interference.
I did more digging on it and their whole home DVR setup is pretty retarded. The secondary receivers can't pause live TV at all. Whomever designed that is a retard. I'm going to stick with Directv even though it's going to cost me more but since they have more HD channels it's a fair trade off. From what I've read elsewhere Comcast has actually regressed in adding HD channels which is mind boggling to me.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If it still sucks, anyone have advice on how to play hardball/specific threats to get results? I'm generally the wimp who gives into doing dumb surveys to avoid being an ass.
Option 1 - Request a copy of your new contract. There should be an initial opt-out period when new service is activated. Maybe 30 days, maybe 60, who knows. They'll probably tell you they can't send you a copy of your contract. In that case inform them that you would then like to immediately cancel service with no cancellation fee, since you have no contract.

Option 2 - Call them and request a service technician to come out and fix your slow speed, or to let you out of your contract without penalty. After several visits by the technician with nothing improving, they may cut their losses and let you out, rather than keep wasting time and money sending someone out.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Who is your provider? With Directv just say cancel service at the prompt and it'll get you to retention and they can give deals. Just threaten that you are going to move to Dish or Comcast and they'll work something out to "keep" you.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

I had century link for 2.5 years and always got my 10mb DSL speeds. Shit I wish I could get them where I live now. Sucks you are having trouble.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I did more digging on it and their whole home DVR setup is pretty retarded. The secondary receivers can't pause live TV at all. Whomever designed that is a retard. I'm going to stick with Directv even though it's going to cost me more but since they have more HD channels it's a fair trade off. From what I've read elsewhere Comcast has actually regressed in adding HD channels which is mind boggling to me.
I forgot the best part about this. Their new remotes don't let you control any devices besides the cable box and power on/off+volume on your tv. You can't do anything else with it! It won't even switch inputs on the TV!

I went from using their remote to control my tv, cable box and sound system to only controlling my cable box.

Their official excuse was too many customers were switching inputs and thinking their cable was broken............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............wut

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Yeah I can't say enough good things about the Tivo Roamio if you're on cable that is an excellent, but expensive option.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Paying Tivo 15 bucks a month is such bullshit. Doesn't anyone make a straight DVR you can just buy and download shit with?

Guess I need to look and see just how much I am being charged for equipment to see if its worth all the cost.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Can you get rid of your box if you get the tivo? Or would I need it still for OnDemand and stuff?