Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Are you with Hughes Net? Or who?

How bad is 8/3 speed? Do pages load every time you try or do you have to like refresh if the load shits out? Can you stream from Netflix etc?

I'm on Viasat, but I've had HughesNet in the past and my family uses it now. I would say it's slightly worse than ViaSat but in the same ballpark. I will say that both are much better than they were when I first started using satellite internet but they still leave a lot to be desired.

How usable it is varies depending on time of day. Stuff that works fine at 10 AM or 2 AM won't work at all at 8 PM when everyone's trying to use it. Web pages for the most part load fine but things will occasionally time out or get wonky. Twitter is a fucking nightmare for some reason even though it doesn't seem like a data heavy site. Luckily I don't go there very often. Embedded tweets on this board often won't load for me though.

Video varies wildly depending on the service for some reason. YouTube will almost always stream although sometimes the picture quality is shit. Netflix pretty much never works. It will stream for a while and then buffer and the progress bar will go to 90% in a few seconds and then sit at 90 for I shit you not 5 minutes. By the second time that happens I'm done. Amazon Prime works pretty well as long as it's not prime time. After 11 PM or during the day it will usually stream and while the picture quality isn't great, it's watchable. When HBO Go came out it was as bad as Netflix but it's gotten to almost Amazon Prime level now. It just happened like 6 months in for some reason. That part of it is very strange to me.

Anyway, I've said it before but just putting it out there in case Elon reads this...I WILL suck cock for a Starlink beta invite.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I'm on Viasat, but I've had HughesNet in the past and my family uses it now. I would say it's slightly worse than ViaSat but in the same ballpark. I will say that both are much better than they were when I first started using satellite internet but they still leave a lot to be desired.

How usable it is varies depending on time of day. Stuff that works fine at 10 AM or 2 AM won't work at all at 8 PM when everyone's trying to use it. Web pages for the most part load fine but things will occasionally time out or get wonky. Twitter is a fucking nightmare for some reason even though it doesn't seem like a data heavy site. Luckily I don't go there very often. Embedded tweets on this board often won't load for me though.

Video varies wildly depending on the service for some reason. YouTube will almost always stream although sometimes the picture quality is shit. Netflix pretty much never works. It will stream for a while and then buffer and the progress bar will go to 90% in a few seconds and then sit at 90 for I shit you not 5 minutes. By the second time that happens I'm done. Amazon Prime works pretty well as long as it's not prime time. After 11 PM or during the day it will usually stream and while the picture quality isn't great, it's watchable. When HBO Go came out it was as bad as Netflix but it's gotten to almost Amazon Prime level now. It just happened like 6 months in for some reason. That part of it is very strange to me.

Anyway, I've said it before but just putting it out there in case Elon reads this...I WILL suck cock for a Starlink beta invite.

Man that sounds terrible and frustrating. Have you ever looked at those Wifi hotspot devices from AT&T or T-Mobile? Like this:

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I haven't had much cell coverage at my house either but there is a new T-Mobile tower that was installed in my general area but hasn't been turned on yet that I think might be an option. Once I hear that it's activated (it was built like 9 months ago, I don't know what they're waiting for) I will definitely get my hands on a hotspot and see how it works.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I haven't had much cell coverage at my house either but there is a new T-Mobile tower that was installed in my general area but hasn't been turned on yet that I think might be an option. Once I hear that it's activated (it was built like 9 months ago, I don't know what they're waiting for) I will definitely get my hands on a hotspot and see how it works.

Go Mint if you are going to go T-mobile. I have it. 200 bucks a year. My phone most times says T-mobile in the corner!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Go Mint if you are going to go T-mobile. I have it. 200 bucks a year. My phone most times says T-mobile in the corner!
What kind of plan do you get for that money? We are on tmobile right now.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
What kind of plan do you get for that money? We are on tmobile right now.

I THINK it's four gigs a month. I have my whole fam on it now. No complaints. The coverage is great in my area (Massachusetts).

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I know there's some good MVNOs on T-Mobile. I looked into google fi but it seems like it's only a good deal if you don't use much data.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I know there's some good MVNOs on T-Mobile. I looked into google fi but it seems like it's only a good deal if you don't use much data.

I'm on Fi and it's $20 + $10/GB + taxes and fees ($6.34 for me). On average I pay $30 or less because I use very little mobile data.

Once the merger of Sprint's newtwork with Tmobile is completed I'll probably jump to Mint because there are a few areas around here where I can get a signal on Sprint but not Tmobile.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I THINK it's four gigs a month. I have my whole fam on it now. No complaints. The coverage is great in my area (Massachusetts).

4 gigs, and the whole family is on it, and that's ok? Lol... I've got 3 young kids, and I travel a lot so I'm in the car a lot. I burn 15-20 gigs a month on my plan with Verizon. :(

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
4 gigs, and the whole family is on it, and that's ok? Lol... I've got 3 young kids, and I travel a lot so I'm in the car a lot. I burn 15-20 gigs a month on my plan with Verizon. :(

4 gigs per phone is more than enough for my family. They have unlimited at 30 bucks if you need that much data. I'm always home home....

Just try the 3 months. Was great. Swapped.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
4 gigs per phone is more than enough for my family. They have unlimited at 30 bucks if you need that much data. I'm always home home....

Just try the 3 months. Was great. Swapped.

do you force your kids to only watch 10s tiktoks and never youtube? lulz, i burn through 10gigs streaming podcasts driving

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The plans are cheap. Its like 30 bucks a month for unlimited. Excellent coverage where I live it says. Going to talk to my wife about switching.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Looks like the "unlimited" plan throttles you after 35 gigs and doesn't let you watch video in hd. I don't know how that compares to the TMobile unlimited plan but the price is pretty compelling.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

My parents were on Hughesnet for like a year and I HATED it. I hated it so much I researched other alternatives, even though I was only at their house a few weeks out of the year.

There was a local guy offering fixed wireless for like a $500 install fee, $100/mo, and only 10Mbs up/down. A LOT of people used him and afaik got subpar speeds.

I finally stumbled on AT&T’s fixed wireless. They originally told us we were out of their range but we had a guy come out and test and it worked.

My parents now get 25 Mbps down/up for $60 per month and the install fee was only $100. Apparently they recently upgraded their network too.

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Starlink ordered tonight, I'll get McFlatFace in 2-4weeks(They are behind on production right now.)

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I'm in a mid to late 2021 area but certainly on board with saying fuck my isp when I am able

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Ya, I'm in a mid to late 2021 area but certainly on board with saying fuck my isp when I am able

I went ahead and paid the $99. The place I'm moving has like 10 or 15Mbps, will absolutely tell them to fuck off too for Starlink.

---

Question: With the competition of Starlink, what are shitty things like Hughes and Via going to do?? Their tech literally is incompatible with fast speeds, because of the altitude of the satellites right?

• 1Like

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I too sent $100 to the richest man in the world today. It said "mid to late 2021" for me too, but from what I've seen that's what they're saying to everyone. Called up Viasat and verified that my contract is fulfilled so they can kiss my ass goodbye the day Dishy arrives. If I can find a reliable way to stream NFL games then DirecTV will be losing a customer as well.

Hughesnet and ViaSat can't have fast pings. They can have fast data rates but not to very many people. I know Viasat has plans to add a couple more satellites in the next few years but nothing that can compete with Starlink if it actually works at scale. That's why they're crying to the FCC about Starlink.

• 2Like