Shōgun

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The hints were there. Like his brother shows up and he is like “I heard you have a trained barbarian!” and he would dismiss Blackthorne like he was a toddler

Toronaga demonstrates that being a villain or a hero depends on what side of history you end up on. Toronaga was committed enough to his goal that he let his best bro in the world die (even though it’s clear it was emotionally destroying) and was okay sacrificing pieces on the board to secure a win

His win united Japan and made it stronger in the medium term, although the closed nature eventually took a toll and it took the Meiji Restoration to pull out of that rut
Like I said, he brought him entertainment like a new puppy. The teaching him to dive scene really seemed like he was just a pet for entertainment in retrospect. Breaking it down it really is a chess like story, sacrificed the queen for a risky win

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I also wonder how people will see Toranaga, he's 100% a ruthless tier S villain but I get the feeling most people won't see him that way.

Ruthless for sure but I don't know about villain. Definite gray area. He spared more lives than anything right?

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Really, really great series. Tho I wish we would have gotten a little bit of Sekigahara as a bookend to the series, the explanation by Toronaga was good enough for the non-action movie addled among us.

As for whether Toronaga was a villain or not, if you go by Ieyasu -his RL counterpart- I'd say he wasn't really. At least in comparison to the other 2 great warlords of the period Hideyoshi (Taiko in this series) and Nobunaga (who Mariko's father(?) killed in the series, leading to her family's disgrace). Sure he laid the groundwork for Japan being closed for 200 years, but it was his successors who did most of that work, not him.

I'm not the biggest expert on this period of Japanese history, but of the little I do know I'm kind of partial to Nobunaga out of the 3 of them. Tho it's hard to know how anything really was after the haze of history as told by the winners and 400 years of time are in the way of the truth.

I also like that the legend of Musashi takes place during this same time period and he was contemporary to many of these characters' RL counterparts. For anyone interested in the period, Eiji Yoshikawa's (fictionalized) account of his life is a must read.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

The teaching him to dive scene really seemed like he was just a pet for entertainment in retrospect

There was additional subtext to that scene: Toronaga was secretly getting Blackthorne to bathe (at that point, he had not washed at all)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There was additional subtext to that scene: Toronaga was secretly getting Blackthorne to bathe (at that point, he had not washed at all)
The ending in the book I guess is difficult to translate to film but it's narrated through everything in Toronagas head? I think that's why a lot of people interpreted it more of an open ending for a sequel on the show. Toronaga I don't think is a villain, just looks at what the outcome of a death. He loses intelligence/friend if blackthorne kills himself and he gains nothing

Last edited:

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I mean the guy is having innocent people executed in the town "looking" for those who burnt Blackthornes ship.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I kept expecting the show to cover some of the battles they had for him to become Shogun but guess they won't be doing that. It was by no means certain at this point and he had to win several engagements.

Bald Brah

Bronze Squire
I mean there's lots of room for sequels without a book. Just tell the history and spice it up a bit.

I was sad to see Yabushige go. I really liked that character. Doesn't anyone go Ronin or fight? Seems silly that these strong swordsman lay down and die all the time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Toranaga just loves democracy and will definitely set aside the powers of the Shogun once the threat of the separatists has ended

i initially took the "old man in London" visions to also mean the episode was a bit of a death bed flashback but the fact that Mariko's rosary was dropped in the exact moment where Blackthorne transitions between current and "forward", that Toranaga says Blackthorne will never leave Japan and he will burn every ship he builds if he needs to, and real life history has me concluding sadly that Blackthorne does stay in Japan for the rest of his life, marries a local woman, and dies there. He has become part of The Japans, the final test was putting the lives of his villagers above his own life.

Kinda fascinating that this series took place ~100 years before the golden age of piracy and even the plundering of the infamous Mughal treasure ship Ganji by Henry Avery in the late 1600s. I just started rewatching Black Sails last night (now on Netflix) and it makes a great companion show. We really need a good space piracy and Empire of Man future show, hope Cavill can deliver with Warhammer 40k.

Last edited:

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It has been a while since I gave a show a 5 star rating.

The show is spot on for pretty much every angle. There is no woke what so ever in this show. Anna Sawai(Toda Mariko) is stunningly beautiful and does a fantastic job portraying her character. That is how you portray a strong woman. Hiroyuki Sanada (Lord Yoshii Toranaga) was the perfect cast for the role. Cosmos Jarvis(Anjin-san) took a bit to get used to with the deep voice and mannerism. I did a double take, because the actor bares a strong resemblance too Tom Hardy. I even think their voices are similar.

The scenery was beautiful. The CGI was sometimes a little off but it was plenty good enough. The story was magnificent with fantastic dialogue. I loved the parts with Mariko politically translating Anjin-san's statements as to not offend, but still keep within the subject. I know beauty is subjective but when they showed Yuka Kouri(Kiku) come out as the best of the best of the payed girls, I just thought "No, Anna Sawai is a level above".

Highly recommend to anybody for watching and especially if you enjoy period pieces. Pay the month for Hulu and enjoy this master piece. It has been a while since a show has been this well done.

They could do a season two. I am not sure if it could be as good though. But by all means, please prove me wrong....