Shōgun

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like its worth watching if you like Japanese history?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

If you like Japanese history, then definitely yes

even if you don’t, it has a lot of classic dramatic elements that make it accessible for general audiences (fish out of water, political intrigue, modern weapons vs old weapons)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Worth watching even if you don't care about Japanese history. If you do, it's a must see.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
To be fair, he just did several years eating weevil infested biscuits and drinking manky barrel water, followed by months of rationing the afore mentioned shitty food, after they left the Americas, before being chucked in a dingy cellar and randomly being beaten up. I'd look ill too 😀

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
does she watch any historical jdramas? to my zero japanese ear it doesn't sound different beyond inflection
Not really. She likes to read manga and light novels though. I guess that's why we get along so well.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally started this show and watched 2 eps tonight. This show slaps.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Metatron really likes it. has lots of very positive things to say about historical accuracy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

JOESAN21

<Gold Donor>
So my turn off to watching it was when I saw Mariko go all samurai with the spear and knife. I assumed they just gave her some cool ninja killing scenes to appease the blue hairs in the crowd, when in the book she dosent do that but her political significance tops the charts.

That and I read some interviews with Anjin which proved him to be a woke douche

Cybsled

Ok bye

Episode was good. I liked how Anjin realized what he says have real consequences and how little he understands things (even though he is catching on fast)

The landslide effect was awesome as well

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The costumes really make the show in my opinion. You can tell a lot of work was done to make everything fit properly and have people carry themselves properly in them.

• 1Solidarity

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
Just started watching this. The prisoner boiling scene was brutal - more so the screaming than seeing what happened at the end. Apparently this was a thing they did in Japan during that era!

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is it any worse than brazen bull/medieval torture?

Last edited:

Cybsled

Never underestimate human capacity for inventing horrible means of execution

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
the whole aged pheasant thing was pretty weird, i guess it mighta been a thing europeans did way back then but its hard to believe they don't dress the birds before aging, was that an actual thing or is Blackthorne kinda shit at actually hunting. even the english won't eat food that has flies swarming it, would they? the whole thing was pretty funny and incisive on how the societies differ though.

i guess i wasn't the only one wondering what the hell was going on
www.reddit.com/r/ShogunTVShow/comments/1bke1fm/what_the_heck_was_blackthorne_doing_with_that_bird/

i wonder if buntaro was trying to get the barbarian to kill him, kinda gave off that vibe. not the story i expected from mariko, pretty interesting stuff

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Apparently letting birds hang was/is a common practice but maybe Blackthorne didn't know you are supposed to gut them first?

• 1Picard