Shōgun

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Apparently letting birds hang was/is a common practice but maybe Blackthorne didn't know you are supposed to gut them first?

What in the Chinese AI generated channel fuck is that? I have a hard time believing anything made like that, even if ChatGPT got the script right.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Aging meat like that is a thing, but like was mentioned, you still have to gut and dress the bird before you do that and you also require specific temperatures or humidity.

Then again he was like "damn, this natto is delicious!", so he was probably used to eating rotten shit lol

Caliane

yeah, its important to remember the novel is historical fiction. and its intent is very much to highlight cultural shock. so aspects of both societies are exaggerated. The novel describes Blackthrone as blond with blue eyes, which the actual man was not. but by making him the blond with blue eyes, he makes him stand out all that much more. Samurai could not just cut down peasants willy nilly, like metatron points out. can they do it? yes. is there lots of paperwork, and does it need to be justified? also yes.
so the bird thing was likely similar, a regional practice thats exaggerated a bit. or possibly even the austrailan author in the 70's had heard myths about the dutch in the 1600's...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
People are nasty shit back in the day. The Romans used a sauce called Garum like ketchup, and this is how you make it...

What is called liquamen is thus made: the intestines of fish are thrown into a vessel, and are salted; and small fish, especially atherinae, or small mullets, or maenae, or lycostomi, or any small fish, are all salted in the same manner; and they are seasoned in the sun, and frequently turned; and when they have been seasoned in the heat, the garum is thus taken from them. A small basket of close texture is laid in the vessel filled with the small fish already mentioned, and the garum will flow into the basket; and they take up what has been percolated through the basket, which is called liquamen; and the remainder of the feculence is made into allec.

Here's an article about hanging game birds which is still done, especially in England, and they do NOT gut them first. Sounds like it can go wrong pretty easily though, depending on temperature and whatnot.

Cybsled

Garum isn't nasty like it sounds. I've tried some made according to an ancient recipe - it's basically a lighter version of Red Boat fish sauce (which you've probably had and not realized it, especially if you eat Vietnamese food). They also didn't just put it straight up on foods like ketchup - usually it was either an ingredient or was part of a sauce to help add umami flavor. Like the Roman version of A1 Sauce used stuff like wine, garum, honey, herbs, etc. They might put the finished sauce on food, but they didn't just dump a bottle of garum on their dinner and call it a day

This dude's channel recreates a lot of Ancient Roman recipes. I've made a couple of them myself.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Holy fuck the nasty stuff people used to eat. I guess you did what you had to before refrigeration but for me:

Not Happening No Way GIF by BBC

I didn't know Cosmo was a T1D; I am always happy and sad to hear there's more of us. He is super down on the subject, though:

“I think I was just [filming], and probably telling somebody about how I didn’t want to celebrate my birthday because I’ll be dead in 10 years,” he said.
The things they have now, that's not the case. As long as we don't bomb ourselves / get Carringtoning back to the Stone age, he show live to be moderately old at least. He was diagnosed way later than other T1D I know. I was an "old" T1D at 22, and Cosmo was diagnosed at 26/27.

TLDR diabetic inside baseball.

Shogun stuff:

Love the series. Beautiful cinematography. Hiroyuki Sanada is one of my favorite actors anytime he shows up onscreen. The first 3 episodes were so good. I don't like the plotting of 4-5 with Anjin so much; they are trying to weave in per episode resolutions and series resolutions; Episode 4: Stupid Anjin! ends with He gets it! Episode 5 Stupid Anjin! ends with He gets it!
I guess they had to make them temp lovers before bringing Butaro back
Are we doing spoilers? This felt like it needed a spoiler since I didn't remember this from the 1980 miniseries. but still, feels weird and repetitive to me. I've never read the book but its been sitting on my Kindle account for a while in anticipation of this event. I took a Dune detour and watched the 1980 miniseries sorry.

Excited to see where this goes, and hopefully we get to see more of the battles in this version.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Garum isn't that much different from modern fish sauce. Which is amazing stuff and I use it all the time. If you go to a Vietnamese restaurant and get spring rolls it usually comes with a thin sauce. This sauce has shredded carrots and green onions floating in it sometimes and its effectively just this with some vinegar and sugar mixed in.

1711362009136.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Garum isn't that much different from modern fish sauce. Which is amazing stuff and I use it all the time. If you go to a Vietnamese restaurant and get spring rolls it usually comes with a thin sauce. This sauce has shredded carrots and green onions floating in it sometimes and its effectively just this with some vinegar and sugar mixed in.

View attachment 521362
Red boat is top tier fish sauce

Cybsled

I've tried this Red Boat sauce as well as a finish to chicken on the grill - its a bit thicker and sweeter and with a hint of spice

1711378546606.png

spronk

FPS noob
begin Operation Crimson Sky!

65398fa337cea98401b2ce7614972d21db1017df.gifv

really slow episode tbh and probably my least favorite, way too much "tee hee look at us girls actually doing all the political manuevering". I'm still pretty lost on the man-politics of the era. everyone is totally cool with killing each other and claiming bandits did it, but nobody wants to move on the dumbass 11 year old heir-to-something? Its not even the throne of Japan or anything, there is always an actual Emperor of Japan who is closer to God, secluded away and I guess mostly a figurehead.

feels like any one of the bigger guys could just go in, kill the regents and the kid, blame Toranaga for the deaths, and bam you are now the ruler.

also sad we didn't get a threesome with Mariko, whore, and Tom Hardly. at least some scissoring

• 1Tiresome

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Within the historical context, I think the manipulations by Lady Ochiba works well. It's not a girl power moment; it's more of a "this is how I can influence, and use my feminine wiles and manipulation to advance/protect ourselves and family" — which is exactly how most women operated through history.

Slow, but still solid episode. It's a refreshing change of pace and it's nice to have time to explore the motivations of all characters.

Cybsled

Lady Ochiba, like many of the characters in the show, is based on an actual historical figure

As for why they don't kill the kid, the kid as a puppet figurehead gives them more legitimacy.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I didn't finish last weeks episode because it was boring. In fact, I've found the whole series so far underwhelming.

I know all the genius brains are currently shawed so it's left to the forum dregs like Animosity Animosity to give an opinion, but is this weeks episode any better?

• 1Picard
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I liked the episode this week. Not a barn burner, but it advances the plot, is a bit tense, and sets up well for the next. Hiroyuki Sanada does a lot of heavy lifting for me in this series. I like the cool, calm, collected trope playing out. Though, I sure do hope the the hinted plan comes to fruition as there was a pretty big 'oops'.

Cybsled

The brothel lady calls him out on it in a subtle fashion, wondering why such a tactical genius would make such a noob mistake. Whatever he is up to, he is playing it REALLY close to the vest. I do wonder if Blackthorne is at least partially in on it.