Shadowrun Returns

Krag

Peasant
First (alpha) footage from the game is now available. Graphics and UI looks quite promising.

Some additional notes from the devs on the video:
00:20 - Lady Z prefers to dress-for-effect (dig that gas-mask - so punk) but there will be a variety of outfits for you to choose from so you can make your character look the way you want. We plan to release more outfits after the game launches.

00:39 - For those of you who know Seattle, this is Pike Place Public Market in 2054. The neighborhood may have taken a downturn.

03:30 - options: Burst Fire, Full Auto etc. We also have character combat abilities like Aim. We also use the tabletop "stages" of damage with from Weak (1/2) to Crit (x2). All of this is based on the math from the SR tabletop game. You can see your chance to hit with every character but you need to invest Karma in weapon specializations to see your chance to crit with each weapon type. As your weapon specialization skill increases, so does your chance to crit.

05:00 - Note that Lady Z's corp security etiquette skill is missing from her character sheet. The screen underwent a recent revision and it was left off of this version temporarily. Also, Scooter the Rigger's drone skills are currently higher than his Intelligence and the Shaman's spirit control and conjuring skills are higher than his Charisma. Not to worry. These bugs are already addressed.

06:00 - Obviously, Lady Z could just whip out an Ares Predator and drill this guard but guns make a lot of noise and Jordan doesn't want to attract too much attention - our AI NPCs will react to gunfire and investigate. So instead, he whips out Lady Z's katana for a (relatively) silent kill. One other note - you'll see that the guard asks Lady Z for her SIN. Just want to make it clear that there's no "SIN system" in the game and runners are SINless. But fake credentials are very useful in getting past guards, etc.

06:10 - You'll notice the rigger is automatically being followed by his drone. If you check the rigger UI at the bottom of the screen, you'll see that you can set the drone to remain stationary. That's handy if you want to leave the drone behind to provide line-of-sight on a location after you leave (so there are no surprises when you get back).

08:08 - Inside the shaman's backpack are magical fetishes that he uses for summoning elementals: air, fire, water, and earth. Fetishes are consumable to keep the shaman from being overpowered. They can be replenished by purchasing more at the local talismonger.

08:22 - Every turn, summoned spirits have a chance to break free and that chance increases every time you commit APs for them to use. However, increasing your Spirit Control skill reduces the risk. It's a good investment because when a spirit breaks free, they'll attack anybody.

09:37 - Yup, the AI loves it when you clump up your characters. If they have an equipped grenade or area-of-effect spell, this will happen to you too.

10:14 - Some spells have cool-down times associated with them and you SHOULD wait for that time to expire before using the spell again. However, you CAN use the spell again but you'll take Drain HP damage from pushing yourself.

15:18 - Ley lines are the intersections of magical energy flowing through the world. Only Mages can see them. When they stand on a ley line, Mages cast spells far more easily and with greater effect: cool down times are reduced, and chances to hit are increased, as is damage.

16:17 - Shaman don't always need to expend fetishes for summoning spirits. Intense concentrations of emotions or natural elements can be used as gateways for summoning as well. Only shaman can see them. Once a concentration has been used as a gateway, it can't be used again (until the shaman raises his summoning skill high enough), so best to keep a magical fetish in your pocket.

17:27 - The AI re-evaluates their threat list every turn. The basilisk decided that the abomination spirit is the biggest threat in the room.
A couple of weeks ago they also did an updatetalking about the editor, which seem quite straightforward and powerful enough that there will hopefully be a lot of fan made campaigns to have fun with after playing through the "official" one.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks for updating on this game, it had kind of slipped my mind. I'll check out the info posted when I have more time.

The SNES and Genesis Shadowrun games are two of my favorites, and this looks very much like a spiritual successor to them.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Glad you posted this because I deleted the update emails without looking.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Do want.

977be9afe4fb0797136c16077364711d.gif

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This is why I love kickstarter. Between this and the Wasteland 2 footage I feel like they are making games that I have wanted for years (motherfucking goddamn SNES Shadowrun with updated graphics) at a price point that makes me want to support it instead of pirate it. Here's hoping Project Eternity, Torment: Numenaria, and DoubleFine Adventure will have Alpha footage that is just as exciting.

This is the only thing I've backed on Kickstarter. I'm a huge Shadowrun fan, and can't wait to get my hands on a finished product.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
definitely looks on the right track. i`m really impressed with the graphics so far.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
One of the few things I have backed so far. I played the hell out of the SNES version, and this looks great.

Touraxus_sl

shitlord
This looks awesome.
Not sure how i missed the kickstarter for it.
Played the genesis game so much, it was on the sega channel for months on end.
And I've done the tabletop a few times.
Should be worth the wait here.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I find it to be to clean for a Shadowrun game. Other than that it looks alright i guess; within the bounds of what you can expect for the money they had to spend on the game.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I didn't back this one, but the video looks pretty much like what I'd expect from their description. What were you expecting to be different ?
This was actuallybetterthan what I was expecting from these guys, by alot. I think it looks great and I was expecting a hell of a lot worse. Agonizing be crazy. Like, maybe the outside street could be a bit grittier? That's about the only complaint I could possibly see about it.

Also people are going to make some awesome stuff with the editor.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Doesn't it look exactly like the concept screens they posted during the kickstarter campaign? I don't get how you could have backed the game based on these and say it doesn't look like what you expected. Hell when I clicked the thread the other day I thought it was a video of the old stuff cause it looked like what I had already seen back then, I just watched the video actually and found out it is an actual gameplay trailer.

Maybe it's the animations that Ago didn't like, they look kinda crappy, spell effects too, but it's alpha and still not super important for a tactical game anyway.

I'll probably grab this even though I'm not a big fan of strategy games, but it looks fun enough and I like the Shadowrun universe.

velk

Trakanon Raider
This was actuallybetterthan what I was expecting from these guys, by alot. I think it looks great and I was expecting a hell of a lot worse. Agonizing be crazy. Like, maybe the outside street could be a bit grittier? That's about the only complaint I could possibly see about it.
I reckon it could do with some bodies and blood, but that's the kind of thing that could reasonably be skipped for an alpha. Overall I think it looks like the interface and mechanics are good enough that the story/setting/encounters etc will be able to be the main decider on whether it's blah or awesome.

It probably wouldn't get a second glance in EB due to dated graphics, but that's exactly what kickstarter is for.