Shadowrun Returns

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Can I still make a troll with a ranger-x bow that can oneshot vehicles?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So when are we getting a release date? Weird that a game wants to release in June, but wont say what day until they please.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The 26th is the date plastered all over the news sites though I don't see it on their main site.

Numbers_sl

shitlord
I picked this up on pre-purchase on Steam. Don't know anything about the table top game or the console games but I was feeling retro and wanted to give it a try. It looks pretty good anyway.

Jefferson_sl

shitlord
Shadowrun is based heavily on the work of William Gibson, who wrote the short story that was destined to become the movie Johnny Mnemonic (you will either love or hate the movie). I just read the book Burning Chrome, which includes Johnny Mnemonic and many other amazing stories that defined the genre in much the same way Tolkien defined high fantasy.

I have very high expectations for this game, the Xbox FPS was an abortion of a game and a slap in the face to genre fans. Even the SNES version which I love was just completely wrong when it came to the mechanics of the game because they wanted to give the player everything, but a Shaman would NEVER get wired reflexes or any other implants because it could potentially destroy their spiritual abilities. One of the best Shadowrun stories I read involved a Bear Shaman who tried getting implants to supplement his abilities and he went from a first rate shaman to a wannabe street samurai as he kept augmenting to make up for the magical shortcomings that resulted from the previous augment and eventually became unable to contact his totem at all.

If Shadowrun is successful I wonder if they would try to resurrect their high fantasy/ eldritch horror world of Earthdawn which played like Cthulhu meets The Hobbit. Most of the world has completely forgotten this setting which would make it fresh for a new generation.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
but a Shaman would NEVER get wired reflexes or any other implants
Wrong. Burnouts were a thing, a big thing, and completely viable if done right. In purely lore terms, sure there were some future hippies out there railing against it, but they were in an extremely slim minority, while everyone else had at least basic comms implanted.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Wrong. Burnouts were a thing, a big thing, and completely viable if done right. In purely lore terms, sure there were some future hippies out there railing against it, but they were in an extremely slim minority, while everyone else had at least basic comms implanted.
Losing a whole point of Magic, a stat that was so hard to improve, for a little comm in your head seems silly to me. I never saw a player do it. Maybe it depends on what edition you're playing but in earlier ones magic was way too powerful to piss a way for little cyber bits.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
This argument depends greatly on which version of SR everyone is referencing. In original (1st ed, 2nd ed) SR, burnouts were an archetype that was technically viable, but few people I knew were ever willing to play one. I saw exactly one burnout in all my years of playing and the guy who played it was one of those who liked playing somewhat gimped characters for the challenge. Most "magic" types in original SR wouldn't touch an implant if you paid them. Again, not saying burnouts were viable (or even a cool concept), but for the reasons Zhaun mentions they were unpopular. As the editions of SR progressed, it became easier to play a magic user with limited implants.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
First (alpha) footage from the game is now available. Graphics and UI looks quite promising.
1363792785932.gif

Numbers_sl

shitlord
Shadowrun is based heavily on the work of William Gibson, who wrote the short story that was destined to become the movie Johnny Mnemonic (you will either love or hate the movie). I just read the book Burning Chrome, which includes Johnny Mnemonic and many other amazing stories that defined the genre in much the same way Tolkien defined high fantasy.

I have very high expectations for this game, the Xbox FPS was an abortion of a game and a slap in the face to genre fans. Even the SNES version which I love was just completely wrong when it came to the mechanics of the game because they wanted to give the player everything, but a Shaman would NEVER get wired reflexes or any other implants because it could potentially destroy their spiritual abilities. One of the best Shadowrun stories I read involved a Bear Shaman who tried getting implants to supplement his abilities and he went from a first rate shaman to a wannabe street samurai as he kept augmenting to make up for the magical shortcomings that resulted from the previous augment and eventually became unable to contact his totem at all.

If Shadowrun is successful I wonder if they would try to resurrect their high fantasy/ eldritch horror world of Earthdawn which played like Cthulhu meets The Hobbit. Most of the world has completely forgotten this setting which would make it fresh for a new generation.
If this is a decent game I hope they follow up with multiplayer so that we can get a community going around here with some level building and what not.

Edit: By level building I mean content building, and playing too of course.

Is it launching on various platforms all at once? I leave civilization for 87 days on June 28, and I would absolutely love to have this on my iPad when I go.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Buried on their web page:
Please keep in mind, this is apre-order. We're still making the game! We currently project a completion of the PC and Mac version in June 2013, and the Linux version to follow.
For more information about Steam, please visit their web site:Store.SteamPowered.com
iOS and Android pre-orders are not available at this time.
So I'm guessing you've got a while to wait before you might see a tablet version since they're not even taking pre-orders yet.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I am not worried about HBS' progress on this game in the slightest but I'd really like a final update for the backers before it comes out. I don't think they've had an update in a month or more. I'm sure it is just because they are in the 18+ hour work days final push but it would still be nice to get something!

Delly

Trakanon Raider
They released an update today, July 25th is the official release date. Nothing really new besides some screenshots.