Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021)

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It was okay. Bottom of the middle tier is about right.

Oddly, Awkwafina bothered me a lot less in this than she did in Raya. She's still terrible, but I think because they really relegated her to a side character, it wasn't nearly as bad.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
It was okay. Bottom of the middle tier is about right.

Oddly, Awkwafina bothered me a lot less in this than she did in Raya. She's still terrible, but I think because they really relegated her to a side character, it wasn't nearly as bad.
I've mentioned it before, but the kind of dumbshit sidekick like this is very common in the genre. I'd rank it probably pretty close to median for the MCU, but I enjoy the dumb fu flicks more than most people I'd guess. I feel like on the whole they've done pretty well with making genre films work in the broader story. I doubt there's too many Winter Soldier haters.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I've mentioned it before, but the kind of dumbshit sidekick like this is very common in the genre. I'd rank it probably pretty close to median for the MCU, but I enjoy the dumb fu flicks more than most people I'd guess. I feel like on the whole they've done pretty well with making genre films work in the broader story. I doubt there's too many Winter Soldier haters.
I re-watched this muted and played the soundtrack from Kung Fu Hustle. Way better.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I didn't expect much of this but enjoyed it tremendously. Was fun and better than average .

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Watched about half of this, will watch the rest later. I like that (spoiler alert) the bad guy is basically the real Mandarin. Before Iron Man 3 IIRC there was a lot of fuss about the character being an "Asian charicature" so they recast it as the English guy and then it was "whitewashed". I dunno, I can't keep track anymore. So here it reverted back to the original form of the character and he was a total badass. The special effects are good, the fights are good, and the main actor is pretty cool (though I don't think he gets much to work with, and the writing neuters the character every chance it gets).

Gotta say, I really don't understand the booking of the fights in this movie. The bad guy immediately loses to a woman at the beginning...why? Then Shang-Chi loses to a woman in his first real fight. Then he loses to another woman later in the movie while training. So you've had your villain and hero job out to various women over the course of the movie, and we're supposed to take them seriously as powerful threats by the end?

Like if this were wrestling booking leading to a PPV, nobody would buy the PPV.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Seconding anyone who has mentioned Ip Man here. Best martial-arts movies I've watched in recent years were the Ip Man series and the two The Raid movies.

Especially The Raid, holy shit those movies are good.

I still need to see Ip Man 4.

• 1Like

joz123

Potato del Grande
Seconding anyone who has mentioned Ip Man here. Best martial-arts movies I've watched in recent years were the Ip Man series and the two The Raid movies.

Especially The Raid, holy shit those movies are good.

I still need to see Ip Man 4.
Ip Man 4 was alright. Last fight is the best part, Scott Adkins is a badass. Otherwise it's kinda slower paced compared to the other ones but it makes sense because Donnie is much older now.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Oblio Oblio - curious, what 10 D+ MCU movies would you put ahead of it?
Sorry for the delay...

Not gonna rank my top ten, I will just give you MCU Movies that are easily ahead of this garbage...(ordered by release date)

1. Iron Man
  2. Iron Man 2
  3. Captain America: The First Avenger
  4. Thor
  5. Marvel's the Avengers
  6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  9. Ant-Man
  10. Captain America: Civil War
  11. Doctor Strange
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  13. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. Thor: Ragnarok
  15. Black Panther
  16. Avengers: Infinity Wars
  17. Avengers: End Game
  18. Spider-Man: Far From Home
Basically it belongs with the worst of the worst MCU movies, I mean Black Panther was 10x better than this and Black Panther is probably my least favorite of the list above.
  1. The Incredible Hulk (this could have been good)
  2. Iron Man 3
  3. Thor: Dark World
  4. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  5. Captain Marvel
Not sure where Black Widow lands as I only got 15 minutes in and was interrupted. That was like 2 months ago and I have not felt compelled to go back and watch it, so my it belongs on the lower list.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sorry for the delay...

Not gonna rank my top ten, I will just give you MCU Movies that are easily ahead of this garbage...(ordered by release date)

1. Iron Man
  2. Iron Man 2
  3. Captain America: The First Avenger
  4. Thor
  5. Marvel's the Avengers
  6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy
  8. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  9. Ant-Man
  10. Captain America: Civil War
  11. Doctor Strange
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  13. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  14. Thor: Ragnarok
  15. Black Panther
  16. Avengers: Infinity Wars
  17. Avengers: End Game
  18. Spider-Man: Far From Home
Basically it belongs with the worst of the worst MCU movies, I mean Black Panther was 10x better than this and Black Panther is probably my least favorite of the list above.
  1. The Incredible Hulk (this could have been good)
  2. Iron Man 3
  3. Thor: Dark World
  4. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  5. Captain Marvel
Not sure where Black Widow lands as I only got 15 minutes in and was interrupted. That was like 2 months ago and I have not felt compelled to go back and watch it, so my it belongs on the lower list.
could be worse, it could be The Eternals which nobody even remembers or acknowledges as having existed.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Black Panther and Ultron being on the "good" list makes me question the lists.
Iron man 2 was shit. Antman and wasp was way above those piles of shit. I barely remember IM2 and the only reason I made it through was Rourke coming off his Oscar return and the first being so epic.

Iron man started the mcu but he had one decent standalone film. Captain America and Thor were the best series but Tom Holland might have taken the title

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Iron man 2 was shit. Antman and wasp was way above those piles of shit. I barely remember IM2 and the only reason I made it through was Rourke coming off his Oscar return and the first being so epic
yea, i heck age of ultron is pretty shit tier too imo (but more so the bottom of the good shit)

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yea, i heck age of ultron is pretty shit tier too imo (but more so the bottom of the good shit)
Age of Ultron was terrible, I try to block that film out lol. Every once a while they make reference to that crap show and it sucks

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The reading comprehension is for shit on this board. Not saying the top list was "good" I am just saying they were better than this Kung Flu Cluster Fuck. It is a very low bar. Learn to read mouth breathers.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
If you are in the mood for the Chingy Chang there are much better ways to waste 2 hours.

Fist of Legend
Ip Man
Drunken Master
Memoirs of a Geisha
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Bloodshot
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist
Ong Bak
TMNT 2 Secret of the Ooze with Vanilla Ice
Enter the Dragon
Kung Fu Hustle
The Last Dragon

Any and all of the above would be time better spent.

Thank me later.

11178022_800.jpg

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ultron sets up a lot of important shit in the future. you can say it is unpleasant, but you cant disregard it. its literally the lynchpin to everything leading up to Endgame.

• 1Spotlight

Sterling

El Presidente
Ok, let me rephrase. having ultron and black panther on the better than this movie list makes me question the list. also having ant man 2 as below those movies is also real dumb.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Ant-Man 2 sucked, like worst of the worst. Would rather watch IM3 or Hulk.

I saw Black Panther with one of my Black friends. He was so fucking hyped to have a black superhero on the big screen I can't help but think of that movie more fondly than it deserves. That said is Black Panther is 18A, Shang Cock is 18B.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ant-Man 2 sucked, like worst of the worst. Would rather watch IM3 or Hulk.

I saw Black Panther with one of my Black friends. He was so fucking hyped to have a black superhero on the big screen I can't help but think of that movie more fondly than it deserves. That said is Black Panther is 18A, Shang Cock is 18B.
i dunno, Captain America represented all americans, did his skin color matter? if so, why?