Should you tip the waitress and how much thread

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
our waitresses make $70-80 dollars on good nights and $30-40 on steady nights. plus $10 hourly wage

that's based on 3-5 hour labour.

kitchen staff gets 10% of their total tips. i heard some restaurants take out a portion of waitress's tips from thetotal sale.

i can see how worthless oldhags and college girls trying to make a living with this wage. it's some and more...

Altaruk_sl

shitlord
our waitresses make $70-80 dollars on good nights and $30-40 on steady nights. plus $10 hourly wage

that's based on 3-5 hour labour.

kitchen staff gets 10% of their total tips. i heard some restaurants take out a portion of waitress's tips from thetotal sale.

i can see how worthless oldhags and college girls trying to make a living with this wage. it's some and more...
In many restaurants, kitchen staff does not get any percentage of tips. Usually, the first to get a portion in the kitchen, if anyone, is the dishwasher.

Nothing used to piss me off more than when waitresses would come down into the kitchen and bitch about how slow it was because they only made "300 dollars USD" today (some bullshit day like a Tuesday). I dated a few waitresses and after averaging out what they would make over the year compared to me, I would really consider switching my profession.

The movement a bit ago where people were writing big checks/leaving giant tips for waitresses really bugged me. I'm not saying that waitresses don't work hard, but, don't compare it to the shit ass work kitchen staff deal with under crappy conditions from before you get there and until after you leave. Next time you want to throw a big check at restaurant staff, check out the kitchen first. Also, fyi, my perspective is from independently owned restaurants, not chains.. corporations change things and aren't really comparable IMO (have worked in both over the course of 20 years... no longer; however.)

As for the tipping thing - I generally tip a baseline amount for anyone.. if you suck and it's clearly your fault and not some other variable, then you get less. If you're a great server and you're not annoying and you actually know what youre talking about when it comes to the restaurant (probably only really matters are decent/nice places that aren't chains), then, you get more. Simple as that.

And yes, if you're cute as fuck, you generally get more too.... unless you really, really, really suck..

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I rounded up a 17.40 to 20 today. It felt exactly the same as the usual 18 I'd have given.

While I do understand why servers would want to be given tips, I don't see why you insist so much on giving tips.

Oldbased

> Than U
To go food gets nothing. It actually makes me angry when I see the tip thing come up at Starbucks. Get the fuck out with that shit.
Yes I know it is old. I ordered from Outback last week carryout. The chick handed me my receipt to fill out with her finger on the tip line.
Really?
Pizza Hut carryout? same thing.
Tonight I order Buffalo Wild Wings carryout. Chick treated me like I was the most giant asshole on the planet for not leaving a tip on a carryout order.
I get it, they got drawn to do the counter compared to tables, but it isn't like they got to bring me shit for a hour or I even got to watch their ass as they walk by. Reaching behind you to grab that bag some dude in the back cooked up is worth a tip how?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yes I know it is old. I ordered from Outback last week carryout. The chick handed me my receipt to fill out with her finger on the tip line.
Really?
Pizza Hut carryout? same thing.
Tonight I order Buffalo Wild Wings carryout. Chick treated me like I was the most giant asshole on the planet for not leaving a tip on a carryout order.
I get it, they got drawn to do the counter compared to tables, but it isn't like they got to bring me shit for a hour or I even got to watch their ass as they walk by. Reaching behind you to grab that bag some dude in the back cooked up is worth a tip how?
Most likely the POS system doesn't differentiate from the dine-in and carryout orders when it comes to adding a tip line to a carryout order receipt. Even if the computer system can print a receipt w/o a tip line, it causes far more confusion and issues for the customers who do want to leave a small tip and "can't" because of a lack of a line than it does with customers who don't want to tip on a carryout order.

As far as the BW3 chick, yeah, she shouldn't expect a tip for carryout orders.

Hamsteroceros_sl

shitlord
Why is it so difficult to roll with however things are done wherever you are? You're out to eat somewhere where tipping isn't a thing? Great. Don't do it. If you are somewhere where a tipping culture exists, you are fucking up someone's livelihood to some extent by not tipping when convention dictates - simple as that. You can rationalize it however you like, whether by focusing on the unfairness to you, the profiled cheapskate diner, or on the fact that restaurants all over the world get by just fine without tipping, or that you think you put up with as much shit at your job as this uneducated slob who expects your handout and probably makes more than you, or whatever. That is the system. You're free to operate outside its rules but everyone else is free to call you an asshole to your face should you choose to do so.

Maybe I missed it, but I have not found a single no-tipping apologist in this thread who has offered up any realistic, implementable ideas on changing tipping in the states. "People could be making such and such per hour" or "it shouldn't be like it is" etc etc have nothing to do with whatactually fucking isin real life. Just once, I'd love to hear someone with a solution to this terrible problem that is ruining his life one fucking fajita platter at a time rather than the same tired handful of rationalizations.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Anyone who makes less than the minimum wage due to a lack of tips has to be paid at least that. They already have a safety net. Every waiter/waitress I know personally makes much more than minimum wage. Simmah down now.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't do it at fucking Pizza Hut, they just have that tip line on the receipt because its the same as the sit-down or delivery ones. I drove there partially to avoid delivery and sitdown costs.

Outback, I've done curbside takeaway a couple times and did tip, but less than I would for a table server. BWW I don't see the point of carryout in the first place. The food is "ok", its more about the atmosphere with the TV's and sports and beer anyway.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
As a potential devil's advocate position here. I earlier stated that I liked the advantages of tipping well like having waitstaff remember your favorite orders and send food back before even bringing it to you if the cooks got it wrong...

But I have now realized I get both of those same service perks at the Whataburger next to my house and have never tipped there at all.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you eat so much fast food that they know your favorite order, they probably just feel sorry for your 300 pound ass. Have fun with diabetes, I'll be out to eat somewhere with servers and a menu that isn't 90% salt and grease.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
The guy at subway the other day started off the conversation "by the way, if I do a good job making your sandwich today, tips are appreciated."

WTF. Ignored. Make my fucking sandwich, douche.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just once, I'd love to hear someone with a solution to this terrible problem that is ruining his life one fucking fajita platter at a time rather than the same tired handful of rationalizations.
Vote down the law that allows a tipping wage. Everyone makes at least minimum wage, period.

spronk

FPS noob
solve the problem hunger games style: every 87th meal served at any restaurant or fast food will have a cyanide pill that instantly kills the eater, inserted by automaton invisible to humans. Now you only eat out if you have a death wish, most people will instead make food at home.

There is only 1 punishment for all crimes, you have to work 1-5 years as a food wait/cook staff. The only food restaurant staff are allowed to eat is the stuff they make, so committing any crime is basically entering a year long russian roulette tournament. Working at a restaurant is literally a dystopian prison in this brave new world.

Oldbased

> Than U
Many many years ago I was the lead kitchen cook at Quincy's in my town. Always pissed me off how the servers would beg for me to cook on Friday/Saturday/Tuesday/Thursday night and Sunday lunch because good cooks= better tips. I never saw a dime of that shit although I was making near what min wage is now and that was 22 years ago. I was roofing during the day and doing that shit at night to get the things I wanted. The other 2 cooks we had were horrible. Cooking 40 steaks/burgers/trout/chickens at once is a art when they are all different in what was wanted. About mid way in laws changed on the ground steaks( hamburgers basically ) and steaks themselves. The old wipe it's ass and send it out burgers were missed. RIP.

The only plus side was I dated 3 of the servers over several years and banged 4 of them.