Side gigs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I'm the Production Manager in an Engineering company.
Keys to the factory Yo!!!
It's a money making machine after hours.. I do heaps of outside work and average $100/hr for cash jobs, plus materials, plus tooling if I have to buy something.

I make parts for pushies, motorbikes (turbo kits) cars (turbo and Supercharger) random stuff...
I do contract CAD design too.

I even made a fucking machine for a bloke a few years ago haha ... he wouldn't give me all the drawings at one time thinking I wouldn't work out what it was... Charged him heaps :)
Pretty much a copy of this but all Aluminium and machined.
View attachment 80058

Damn thats a serious hustle. Do they know you're using the equipment?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is actually some cash to be made on reloading brass. I mean I dont do it, I buy the shit to reload, but people are making some sweet money on that shit by making deals with the local gun ranges and then tumbling it clean and selling it. 9mm, 40mm, 45ACP are good, but the real money is in the rifle shit like .223 and .308 and even better with the obscure calibers like 6.5, 6.8, 7mm 7.62x39 and shit like that. Even the long brass like 38 spc and 44 mag etc. is like gold, hard to find. And some people just buy a few boxes of the shit, go to the range, shoot them off and not even think about picking them up other than sweeping them up per rules of the range.

For example I just bought 1K .223 for $100 with shipping, cleaned, resized and trimmed. But usually its like $80-$100 for 1K just cleaned up. The guy I buy from has a reddit thing going, but sells local too to his contacts and smaller gun shops.

You can even get 50 gal barrels of this shit from the govt. unsorted and unprocessed if you really want to get into it. It seems like more and more people are getting into reloading in the gun world because of ammo prices. Some of those bigger and more obscure caliber rifle rounds can be quite expensive at like ~$1+ per round for the match grade shit. So you save like 1/2 of even more if you reload it.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thats fucking cool. Where did you find those classes? The "evaluation" part sounds a little sketchy though.

I got the name of a reputable company through another VO talent that Maurice Lamarche (Brain from Pinky and the Brain, Lurr from Futurama, Egon from the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, etc) recommended when I met him at MegaCon.

The evaluation is so that the VO agency can straight up tell you if you have any talent whatsoever that can be molded whether it be for animation, commercials or audiobooks. If the Brain says it's legit, then I'm willing to take a risk and believe him. Either that or I just fell into his nefarious plot to take over the world.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone do anything outside of your normal job to make some extra money? What do you do? How much do you make from it? Are you building it to one day leave your current job or is it just something you're going to keep on the side?

I'll be chastised for this as usual, but my SL business started as a side job. Wife and I said if I could make enough to cover a maid once a month, we'd consider that a success. Now, it's my full time job, and I make money in my sleep. I made more than a quarter million last year.

I am a scripter/programmer within SL and also do skill gaming stuff. I also know I don't make nearly as much as others. Breedable makers (like a popular one called KittyKats) and the really good mesh body makers (like Matreya) are probably bringing in 1M+ a year easily. The maximum amount SL allows you to cash out is $20,000 USD per day (up to $320,000 per month), so max potential is nearly 4 million per year. Once they know you, it takes less than 2 days to cash out and get your money.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'll be chastised for this as usual, but my SL business started as a side job. Wife and I said if I could make enough to cover a maid once a month, we'd consider that a success. Now, it's my full time job, and I make money in my sleep. I made more than a quarter million last year.

I am a scripter/programmer within SL and also do skill gaming stuff. I also know I don't make nearly as much as others. Breedable makers (like a popular one called KittyKats) and the really good mesh body makers (like Matreya) are probably bringing in 1M+ a year easily. The maximum amount SL allows you to cash out is $20,000 USD per day (up to $320,000 per month), so max potential is nearly 4 million per year. Once they know you, it takes less than 2 days to cash out and get your money.

It's pretty amazing you make a good living at this, it's retarded but at the same time, props.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
He's offering a service the same way Uber and Kickstarter offer services. Those companies do literally nothing on their own. Yet...

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>

SL? Second Life? WTF? All those figures are USD? How long did it take you to make that kind of money?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
SL? Second Life? WTF? All those figures are USD? How long did it take you to make that kind of money?

heh, yes, USD. I've been making money there since about 6 months after I learned how it worked. But I didn't make much at first, but I did cover the maid. :)

SL is a golden egg platform everyone laughs at (Thanks "Ralph, pls no") and thinks is a piece of shit (and in a lot of respects it is), but if you are a creative person, and will do the work necessary, you -will- make money there. You might have to work your ass off to make a few bucks at first, but once something is made, it's available for sale forever. If you have a good idea, you can make bankroll. But if you need just a few bucks here and there, it can certainly pay off, and is fairly trivial to do so. The expenses, compared to what you actually make, are crazy low. I know some people who have invested zero into their business other than their time (and using free software like blender and gimp at first) and are making 10K+ USD a month because they had a good idea. My own business expenses totaled less than 10% of my near-net income last year, not counting the salary I pay myself, and most of that was to my lawyer.

If you want to know more, anyones welcome to PM me, but I fagged up the "what do you do" thread once with SL stuff so I won't do it to this one. :)

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I read recently that nearly half of millennials have some sort of side hustle going on. The first 6 months of this year I ran an Ark:Survival Evolved server which cost about 1,000 and pulled in about 4,000 in donations. I don't have the time with kids anymore.

That sounds super interesting. Got a lot of processing power available and a gigabit internet connection sitting idle 99% of the time. Do you have more details regarding where you advertised your server and stuff like that ?

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
Damn thats a serious hustle. Do they know you're using the equipment?

Yep, they all know about it, I told them that was part of the deal if they wanted me.
I won't make anything that would be in competition with the product we build.
I had the cops turn up at 2 a.m the other week (tuning land speed bikes) telling me it's too loud haha..

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I'd love to get a side gig, but I don't know how to find jobs that would let me work in my off hours.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I've been doing Videography for the past 6 years. Only do 5-10 events a year and make 7-12K in revenue. Nice little bonus. At this point it's all profit but took like 4 years before I had the equip paid off.

In the 6 years I've had 35K in expense and 50K in revenue. So only averages out to 2.5K profit per year but I've been able to buy 2 nice HD cameras and all the accessories. I'm winding down the business though due to kids. I casually edit in my free time and it takes like a month to churn out 1 video.

Aside from that I'm also a landlord on the side, only 1 property atm but planning to add.

This is in addition to my normal 50hr work week

Starting up the video business only required opening a credit card and buying 1 camera to start. Hardest part is landing the work. I did a few wedding gigs for family members for free first with a borrowed camera to make sure I had the workflow down, then I made a reel and contacted some photography studios that needed video services.