Silo

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Looks like I was right, it's the helmet that was the AR, and the air outside is the actual poison. Although it seems like they intentionally don't normal seal the suit well, so even if they didn't take off the helmet they would die?
Yeah, and I was wrong. But what's the point of the deception? Even the cafeteria viewscreen flashed the fake view momentarily. All for what purpose?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah, the flickering thing was... dumb. Also did they ever explain all the security cameras going down that one time Nichols was running from Justice? Don't think so.

Think the idea is literally just to clean the camera to present the danger outside constnatly and to show that the people in charge "know best". Everyone says everyone will clean, and they do, so they just keep following the authority that seems to know what's what.

The multiple silos thing is interesting. Maybe they realized 10,000 was the optimal amount of people to "control" and sustain in a contained environment. It makes sense. They're more or less a communist society where everyone is assigned a role and does it for the commune, and those things only work on very small levels. Even on 10,000 it wouldn't really work which is I imagine why the rebellions occur.

Show could go nutso if you have all the silos learning about the other silos and then a war breaking out. Definitely very Fallout.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The multiple silos thing is interesting. Maybe they realized 10,000 was the optimal amount of people to "control" and sustain in a contained environment. It makes sense. They're more or less a communist society where everyone is assigned a role and does it for the commune, and those things only work on very small levels. Even on 10,000 it wouldn't really work which is I imagine why the rebellions occur.
Rajneeshpuram had far less than 10,000 members and that shit fell apart in under 5 years. haha.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, and I was wrong. But what's the point of the deception? Even the cafeteria viewscreen flashed the fake view momentarily. All for what purpose?
It was explained in the book but idk if it was explained in the show. The deception is so the people go outside and see it and go “oh shit it’s beautiful out here, they need to see this, if I clean it they will see it too.” so even people that don’t want to clean do it anyways once they see it. The cafe doesn’t ever show the deception view, just the helmets. Not sure why they would do that in that show.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Guarantee it was solely to fool the viewer. I hate when writers do that.

It's the opposite. It's to clue the viewer in as to why people clean. The issue in the show was they spent far less time dealing with the question "why do people fulfill their cleaning duty". That question was much more heavily emphasized in the books. They kept the premise for the show but left out the intrigue. It was an afterthought in the show.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
It's the opposite. It's to clue the viewer in as to why people clean. The issue in the show was they spent far less time dealing with the question "why do people fulfill their cleaning duty". That question was much more heavily emphasized in the books. They kept the premise for the show but left out the intrigue. It was an afterthought in the show.
No, I meant the cafeteria's screen glitching was solely to fool the viewer into thinking it was nice out.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Finished book 2 and while there aren't any high highs it's an interesting enough world to hang out in with some atypical points of view for what I expect to get in a piece of dystopian fiction.

Khane

Finished book 2 and while there aren't any high highs it's an interesting enough world to hang out in with some atypical points of view for what I expect to get in a piece of dystopian fiction.

Hugh Howey seems to just like writing interesting, human stories. This series isn't going to blow your mind... it's just interesting.

He has another series called Sand that has an equally interesting world. There was something like an 8 year break between the first and second book in that series so I haven't read that second book yet, but this show put it back on my radar

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Hugh Howey seems to just like writing interesting, human stories. This series isn't going to blow your mind... it's just interesting.

I thought the first Hunger Games and the first Mortal Engines books were alright but they were also dumb enough that I never bothered to pick up the next in either series. I appreciate that Wool and Shift were never silly. This whole thing could have been Snowpiercer goofy (and I like Snowpiercer) but it stays on the straight and narrow the whole time.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Before the last episode I was fairly convinced that the reason those sent to clean were dying was due to a fast-acting gas in the suit. However, as she was exiting the silo I thought it might have been the decontamination chamber spraying them down with a lethal contact poison that slowly made its way in through poor seals in the suit, but the "good" tape would protect her. Obviously it did, but the problem wasn't decon.

I really enjoyed the show and the ending while dark, is a lot more satisfying than I expected it to be. However, I'm left with questions about how much those in charge really know about the world. Obviously, they know a lot more than the average Joe, but are they even aware that there are other silos just beyond the ridge? I doubt it, because there would be far too much drive to form a larger community for resources, etc.

As someone said, the silos were probably a delicate equation that required total autonomy to succeed and given statistical distributions it's 100% likely that some of them ended up as nothing more than massive tombs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Guarantee it was solely to fool the viewer. I hate when writers do that.

Yeah, pretty much. It doesn't even make any real sense with the way it's shown in the show
Even ignoring the question of how you could accidentally play it in the cafeteria - that cafeteria screen is huge as fuck, what are they making 64K video for the helmet cams ?
It's also VR video, it would be out of focus at the edges due to the helmet screen curves, and the viewpoint would be at head height instead of cafeteria height.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, pretty much. It doesn't even make any real sense with the way it's shown in the show
Even ignoring the question of how you could accidentally play it in the cafeteria - that cafeteria screen is huge as fuck, what are they making 64K video for the helmet cams ?
It's also VR video, it would be out of focus at the edges due to the helmet screen curves, and the viewpoint would be at head height instead of cafeteria height.
I think being irked by this is a matter of perspective. I know exactly the scene you're referring to and it doesn't bother me.

Reason being - up until literally the last couple minutes of the show it seemed like the entire premise of a broken world was a lie, but the utopia was obviously the lie to help socially engineer the cleanings. Obviously, the utopia video on the smuggled drive wasn't reality. Though, at some point, a copy of it had been made and fallen into the 'wrong' hands or maybe the drive was the original copy that IT used to upload it to their system.

Point being - With the utopia video being in their system, it's not far fetched for 'movie logic' to have a system 'glitch' to expose IT's bullshit utopia. Lower the curtain for moment, if you will, but not in the way that you're interpreting it. It was actually a clever tiny piece of filmography because it had a different meaning with and without all the 'info.' The show sold the possibility that the Utopia was real, hard....but that was necessary for it all to work.

Our world is the utopia and it's impossible to get inside the mentally of someone who spends their entire life in what's basically an underground skyscraper. All the while living under the premise that going outside meant instant death. I suspect the majority of the Silo'ers would view the utopia vid with a lot of skepticism instead of considering it as evidence that their existence was a lie. You and I would likely assume the former because our world is that Utopia and we would naturally be more inclined to believe that the utopia does exist because we've never known anything but that. Perspective.

That's why it was so important to recover the drive. Not because they were worried people would believe the world was fine, but because it would expose ITs control scheme and lie.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
so are eps 8, 9 and 10 worth watching if I previously gave up after ep 7 because of all the judicial shit. Taking into consideration eps 3-7 didn't hold my attention and I was on my phone during them?

Khane

Nah, you should find another show. This one sucks. Not even worth clicking on the thread for you I'd say

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Nah, you should find another show. This one sucks. Not even worth clicking on the thread for you I'd say

Not a smart man

Screenshot_20230701-224945.png