Silo

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Kudos to
Who doesn’t have an appletv sub?

I torrent everything and have done for 20 years, minus a Netflix subscription, but that was cancelled last year because the golden age of tv is over

Apple TV is way down on the list of companies I would voluntarily support.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Apple TV is really solid IMO. Definitely the one worth a sub, if I had to pick just one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Started watching this a couple days ago, that was a fun season. Looking forward to 2.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Who doesn’t have an appletv sub?
Really? I only know one person with it. I’ve only used it when I get it free from buying a device, if they still do that. Last time was maybe three years ago…has it improved since? Wasn’t much on there when we had it, barely used it at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, and I was wrong. But what's the point of the deception? Even the cafeteria viewscreen flashed the fake view momentarily. All for what purpose?
The flickering was a lazy writing device to fool the viewer. There's no reason the fake green landscape view would be hooked to the cafeteria screen. There's no plausible explanation given for how that would happen, and there isn't one, and the show didn't try. This was done to fool us and make us think it was really green and livable outside while the evil silo administrators imprisoned everyone below ground.

I remember in the first or second episode when the black sheriff went out to clean, it looked like his face display on the outside was obviously a "screen" and not seeing his face through glass. Why would you need a screen?

The "heat tape" thing seems incredibly retarded as well. What kind of "heat tape" or bad heat tape kills you in ~60 seconds, while "good" heat tape lets the person survive considerably longer. The fuck? Any explanation of this I might have missed?

With 20+ silos being what... a couple hundred feet from each other... has NOBODY ever gone outside with good "heat tape" in 150+ years? Has nobody tried to launch a drone or an RC Car with a camera on it or just fucking tossed a gopro up in the air? It beggars belief that they could be 200 feet from a silo with 10,000 people in it and not know for 150+ years.

The show is interesting but this is shaping up like Lost to me. Bunch of unanswered bullshit questions, bunch of "gotchas" ... and I have a feeling they aren't going to be forthcoming with answers in the next season either.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It'll depend on how true to the books the show remains but there are pretty good (in my view) answers to all your questions

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I interpreted it as the bad tape allowed the toxic atmosphere to seep into the suit.

Also, I believe TPTB are fully aware of the other silos. The regular citizen does not nor would they ever have the opportunity to find out.

velk

Trakanon Raider
The "heat tape" thing seems incredibly retarded as well. What kind of "heat tape" or bad heat tape kills you in ~60 seconds, while "good" heat tape lets the person survive considerably longer. The fuck? Any explanation of this I might have missed?

The heat tape isn't killing anyone directly, the shitty heat tape just doesn't make an airtight seal.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

I haven't caught back up on the show but in the book the suit is full of shitty components.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I haven't caught back up on the show but in the book the suit is full of shitty components.
I would be interested in hearing the differences between book 1 and season 1 sans any potential spoilers for the next season.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The flickering was a lazy writing device to fool the viewer. There's no reason the fake green landscape view would be hooked to the cafeteria screen. There's no plausible explanation given for how that would happen, and there isn't one, and the show didn't try. This was done to fool us and make us think it was really green and livable outside while the evil silo administrators imprisoned everyone below ground.

I remember in the first or second episode when the black sheriff went out to clean, it looked like his face display on the outside was obviously a "screen" and not seeing his face through glass. Why would you need a screen?

With 20+ silos being what... a couple hundred feet from each other... has NOBODY ever gone outside with good "heat tape" in 150+ years? Has nobody tried to launch a drone or an RC Car with a camera on it or just fucking tossed a gopro up in the air? It beggars belief that they could be 200 feet from a silo with 10,000 people in it and not know for 150+ years.

The show is interesting but this is shaping up like Lost to me. Bunch of unanswered bullshit questions, bunch of "gotchas" ... and I have a feeling they aren't going to be forthcoming with answers in the next season either.
The suits are just made like complete shit with a lot of shitty components. They’re not sealed well and they don’t have much oxygen at all. The “heat tape” is the main shitty component I guess cause they talk about it constantly in the book. I haven’t seen the show so I really don’t even know what the author means by “heat tape”. Is it tape used to seal seams or is the whole damn suit made of the shit?

People don’t really try asking questions, investigating, trying to use cameras, etc because it’s all highly illegal punishable by death by being sent out to clean. There’s also religious stuff surrounding it on top of the laws. Seems cheesy to us but their entire life has revolves around it so ok I guess. I’m not sure how detailed it got in the show but just asking a question about the outside a single time to one person is enough to be sent out to die. Anyone with kids know this is unrealistic as fuck because they would ask all the time, but whatever.

spronk

FPS noob

I like the theory that the decontamination gas that blows when they cycle the airlock is actually poison that kills you in exactly 5 minutes. Shitty heat tape lets the gas get in and kill you, good tape keeps you air tight. That means the air outside is ok so if someone can get their helmet off they should be able to survive.

Of course the flaw in that theory is that its infinitely simpler just to pump toxins in through the O2 canister on your back. But maybe the Silo designers made the decontamination room kill you and the silo people are too stupid now to figure out any other way to do it.

the silos all around thing makes mining also weird, how the fuck do you have people mine for iron if silos are all around you lol. keep digging down? pretty sure that won't work since no one saw the bottom pit with the excavators other than George and Juliette. Even Tim Robbins seemed shock when Juliette mentioned a giant steel door at the bottom.

re: Lost no answers, its not really like that at all since the books are complete and you can read it anytime. I read some of them I think long ago but I honestly can't remember a thing.

• 2Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
My instinct when I saw the other Silo's that the rebellion had something to do with other Silo's. I don't really have a basis for that theory though. Meaning at one point they all probably knew about the other Silo's. Then all the rules and stuff basically forming a religion around that and it slowly gets forgotten.

Also the using old computer tech everywhere is a very strong control thing.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I like the theory that the decontamination gas that blows when they cycle the airlock is actually poison that kills you in exactly 5 minutes. Shitty heat tape lets the gas get in and kill you, good tape keeps you air tight. That means the air outside is ok so if someone can get their helmet off they should be able to survive.

Of course the flaw in that theory is that its infinitely simpler just to pump toxins in through the O2 canister on your back. But maybe the Silo designers made the decontamination room kill you and the silo people are too stupid now to figure out any other way to do it.

the silos all around thing makes mining also weird, how the fuck do you have people mine for iron if silos are all around you lol. keep digging down? pretty sure that won't work since no one saw the bottom pit with the excavators other than George and Juliette. Even Tim Robbins seemed shock when Juliette mentioned a giant steel door at the bottom.

re: Lost no answers, its not really like that at all since the books are complete and you can read it anytime. I read some of them I think long ago but I honestly can't remember a thing.
Yeah, in the books the mining was only allowed to go down. I forget what the reasoning was. There’s some things in the book that don’t really make sense, but you just have to ignore those I suppose.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really? I only know one person with it. I’ve only used it when I get it free from buying a device, if they still do that. Last time was maybe three years ago…has it improved since? Wasn’t much on there when we had it, barely used it at all.
They are putting out the most good content by far right now.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
This show was an awesome surprise for me. Had never heard of the books or the show and stumbled into it blind(similar to the Peripheral recently). Visuals and world building were excellent. Casting/acting was mostly amazing. Story pacing was great except for a few slow parts..

I think fallout is supposed to have a much more comedic tone and probably be set outside, so maybe they won't actually compare well in the end... But if fallout can even come close to how good Silo was, I will be happy.

A few little nits to pick, like Juliette being immune to fall damage or boiling. but its mostly stuff that's easy for me to ignore.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This show was an awesome surprise for me. Had never heard of the books or the show and stumbled into it blind(similar to the Peripheral recently). Visuals and world building were excellent. Casting/acting was mostly amazing. Story pacing was great except for a few slow parts..

I think fallout is supposed to have a much more comedic tone and probably be set outside, so maybe they won't actually compare well in the end... But if fallout can even come close to how good Silo was, I will be happy.

A few little nits to pick, like Juliette being immune to fall damage or boiling. but its mostly stuff that's easy for me to ignore.
She only fell one level I believe, two at most. That seemed reasonable to me.