Smartphones

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Does anyone have a link with easy step-by-step instructions on how to flash a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 to the latest stock firmware/software? I used to root/flash/rom/fuckaround with my Motorola Droid X forever but for some reason I'm in extreme retard mode and can't figure it on my S3. I'd love to put like an AOKP on my S3 but first step is learning to set it back to stock 4.1.1 which is what its on now.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Doing a rundown currently on my N4. 22+ hours and just over 30% battery used on a stock 4.2.2 kernel, PAOSP ROM, and apps only closing down GPS when Maps closes. I'm currently at about 1hr of screen-on time as well.

cwMbtM2.png
What's the widget you're using?

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Swiftkey just implemented "Swype" into their program. Thank Jesus. It's sadly not as accurate as Swype, but, still better than texting.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'm finding it gets confused by some similar words more easily than even the default Google keyboard if you swipe on it. But having both in the same keyboard's pretty handy.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Dashclock is a great. Lots of extensions being made for it since it's open source. Being able to change it's DPI with Paranoid Android is is a godsend though, since it takes up too much space to display more than 1 or 2 extensions.

I've got it running at 220 DPI on both the lockscreen and home screen.

rrr_img_15509.jpg

Enabling Google Now caused the battery to burn down at an alarming rate. That sucks.
That does suck. I've never had any battery issues with Google Now on either my Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 4, but then it barely does anything other than weather, traffic to work and Chargers and Wings games. Not much goes on where I live for it to pick up on.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oman.dashclock

I'm using PAOSP so I was able to reduce the DPI of the app to only use 3 rows of icons while displaying the full notification pane. It's probably one of my favorite widgets that I've seen in a long time.
PA ditching CM as base was the best thing they could do. CM always had bugs that plagued performance so I never used PA. Didn't realize how awesome per app dpi setting is until I used PA3.0

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Dashclock is a great. Lots of extensions being made for it since it's open source. Being able to change it's DPI with Paranoid Android is is a godsend though, since it takes up too much space to display more than 1 or 2 extensions.

I've got it running at 220 DPI on both the lockscreen and home screen.
How did you change the lockscreen DPI? I can't seem to find any settings in the PAOSP settings to modify that and I've already set the widget APK to forced 200 DPI. I'd absolutely love to modify the size of the widget when things are locked.

Edit: It looks like if you set the Phablet UI you can get a 225 DPI, but it makes the PIE controls almost too small to use/read the text on them. Did you find a way just to change the lockscreen resolution without modifying the rest of the SystemUI.apk?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
How did you change the lockscreen DPI? I can't seem to find any settings in the PAOSP settings to modify that and I've already set the widget APK to forced 200 DPI. I'd absolutely love to modify the size of the widget when things are locked.

Edit: It looks like if you set the Phablet UI you can get a 225 DPI, but it makes the PIE controls almost too small to use/read the text on them. Did you find a way just to change the lockscreen resolution without modifying the rest of the SystemUI.apk?
You have to enable expert mode, then lockscreen DPI becomes available in the interface menu. Very convenient, as it let's you see all of dashclock on the lockscreen without resorting to forcing it maximized.

If you follow PA on G+, they sometimes post useful tips along with changelogs and news.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You have to enable expert mode, then lockscreen DPI becomes available in the interface menu. Very convenient, as it let's you see all of dashclock on the lockscreen without resorting to forcing it maximized.

If you follow PA on G+, they sometimes post useful tips along with changelogs and news.
Crap, I didn't even see that slider. Man, talk about bringing the derp!

+nets for you good sir

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So for some reason when Google Play updated itself the files corrupted and caused it to crash anytime i tried to fix it and it caused every other app that ran through it to crash as well.

The fix Google told me I had to do in order to fix this rare but known issue? Resetting your phone completely. Should be a fun few hours as I tweak everything back to how I had it. ugh.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So for some reason when Google Play updated itself the files corrupted and caused it to crash anytime i tried to fix it and it caused every other app that ran through it to crash as well.

The fix Google told me I had to do in order to fix this rare but known issue? Resetting your phone completely. Should be a fun few hours as I tweak everything back to how I had it. ugh.
Might want to try clearing the app data from Google Play along with Google Play Services before you do a reset. Google just added a framework for logging in to apps using your Google account, so you might wasnt to try clearing the app data for that too. If you are rooted you could try flashing a new GApps package and see if that fixes stuff too.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
So Denamian and Mageling, what launcher are you guys using? I'm using ADW Ex and it's not bad. I bought it a long time ago for really cheap (I think during the 10 cent deals). Overall features is good, but could be a tad bit smoother. Using the fly in, I can see very slight lag.

I'm pretty sour about missing out on the 25 cent Nova Launcher Prime though. Not really wanting to shell out 4 dollars on a launcher that is barely any better than what I have.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm using Nova Prime, got it on the 25 cent sale. The free version of Nova is still good, but Prime is worth the full price IMHO. I haven't tried it in a long time, but you might want to check out Apex. It was similar to Nova last I used it, the 25 cent sale being what cause me to stick with Nova. Vire looks pretty, but I wonder how much those effects impact battery life.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Question for you guys using Paranoid Android. I've got a Nexus 4 with the latest 3.1 PA ROM installed (3/2/13 release). Everything seems to have gone smoothly, except I can't for the fucking life of me find the pie control that everyone's raving about. If I swipe up from the bottom of the screen I get the same semicircle with "Google" that came with stock 4.2.2. I've changed the preferences for the Pie to have it lock to up, down, sides, etc, and nothing works.

I've done repeated installs variously doing a factory reset, cache wiping, etc, and get the same result every time. As far as I can tell from Googling, I'm the only person on the internet with this problem. Any ideas? Am I missing something dumb?

-------------------
Motherfucker. Hold power button, select "Expand desktop". That was the least obvious, least documented UI option ever. Why isn't it in the normal fucking place with rest of the settings? Jesus.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
You need to either hide nav bar or use extended desktop. Press on the power button and you will see extended desktop option.

EDIT: Lol didn't see your edit... thought it was your signature.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Hah, that question is asked every 5-10 posts in the XDA thread. Molesarecoming (the dev) doesn't like cluttering up the settings, so pie just enables itself when it's needed: when the nav bar isn't being shown. The only times that happens is as Dauntless said, when expanded desktop is enabled or when you set the nav bar height to 0%.