Smartphones

Inque

FunEmployed
A majority of the devices on Black Friday with Verizon will be around $10 a month (significant discounts) on device payment. Conversely, you can always get a Pixel or just use your Nexus with them though.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I need a phone recommendation, looking to swap back to Verizon soon. I have google fi with the nexus 5x and it's just not holding up for me. Is it possible to just get a phone elsewhere and just do the swap myself? I can't stand their stores, but their coverage can't be beat here. I've had enough bad calls that people just text me more lol.

I'd appreciate the help, would like something the size of the nexus or smaller, and not paper thin. Android preferred, but I don't hate on the iPhones since the one I had back in the day was good to me. Thanks.

Dunno how small you want but the iphone SE is 4", the 7 is 4.7" and the 7+ is 5.5" so they have pretty much the whole spectrum covered. SE is cheap as shit too.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I need a phone recommendation, looking to swap back to Verizon soon. I have google fi with the nexus 5x and it's just not holding up for me. Is it possible to just get a phone elsewhere and just do the swap myself? I can't stand their stores, but their coverage can't be beat here. I've had enough bad calls that people just text me more lol.

I'd appreciate the help, would like something the size of the nexus or smaller, and not paper thin. Android preferred, but I don't hate on the iPhones since the one I had back in the day was good to me. Thanks.

The 5x isn't holding up? Or Fi isn't? You can buy an unlocked phone anywhere and activate it on Verizon. Just check to see that it's compatible and stick the SIM in it.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I picked up a new Google Pixel XL yesterday and I'm trying to figure out what it is about my home network that has the wifi performing like dogshit. It takes forever to grab anything from the Play store and I have my other phone still here (LG G3) and the wifi on it has no problems at all. I didn't have any problems using the wifi at work today either, but now tonight back home it's gone to shit again.

I'm running DD WRT on my router and I've tried all sorts of different wireless combos. Even disable security to try that and nothing seems to change. Anyone else ever see this?

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
No idea either both our nexus 6 hate our wifi at home. It is very laggy sometimes to just get a webpage to load. Please post back if you figure it out.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've had a 5x, 6 & now a 6p and never had an issue with any of them like that. definitely interested if you figure it out.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Seems pretty isolated? Not heard of any other Galaxy phones having issues.

I am curious how many battery issues have been influenced by shit tier Chinese 3rd party manufacturer chargers. These new Samsungs have "Adaptive Fast Charging", which allow them to be charged super quick. But to do so, the chargers have to vary voltage and current. I am wondering if some of these cheap shitty aftermarket charger accessories are fucking them up and overcharging at higher volts / current during parts of the charge cycle and damaging batteries.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I mean you can use any phone, bring your own device
Bring Your Own Phone or Device - BYOD | Verizon Wireless

and they'll send you a SIM card to use. Obviously you're not gonna be able to use anything but dumb ass Verizon phones, but that's the price you pay for the best coverage.

Just go ebay search for an Android Verizon phone, or there are gonna be BlackFriday deals this week too.
Seems pretty isolated? Not heard of any other Galaxy phones having issues.

I am curious how many battery issues have been influenced by shit tier Chinese 3rd party manufacturer chargers. These new Samsungs have "Adaptive Fast Charging", which allow them to be charged super quick. But to do so, the chargers have to vary voltage and current. I am wondering if some of these cheap shitty aftermarket charger accessories are fucking them up and overcharging at higher volts / current during parts of the charge cycle and damaging batteries.
It's only affecting the G/Notes7's though.

Samsungs rapid charge has been around since Note4/G6, and i'm pretty sure the majority of the ppl who buy chargers, just buy the official bulkly ass Samsung rapid charger, if ever, most just use the one that comes in the box.

Last edited:

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Thanks for the responses, sorry about the late reply.

As for the Nexus 5x on Google Fi, its likely both were an issue. I'd have a random issue at first with the service, but as the phone started to age, it seemed to get worse.

When you can't have a decent call with your supervisors at work or even your family, its time to change things up.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Question for those of you on Fi. I tried calling a local number today and didn't include the area code since it was the same as mine. The call goes to an area code on the other side of the state, so I wake up somebody at 1 am instead of calling the office I intended to. Has anyone else had this happen?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
All I know is Note 7s are banned by the TSA and the Galaxies will be too if these reports keep coming out.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm curious, what do you guys do on your phones that make expensive phones worth it over inexpensive ones? I've got Metro PCS because $30 a month, and I'm just using the phone I got free for signing up. It annoys me a little that it doesn't really have enough memory for Hearthstone, but tbh I don't ever really have time to play it on my phone anyways. Do you find it worth it?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Had FB app disabled and did not use it for since forever. it said it updated itself the other day and since september its used a little over 1mb of data. The fuck is it doing and how the hell do I get it off my note 4?

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone have experience with the 2016 Moto G4 or G4 Play? What about the Amazon version with ads? Are they as unobtrusive as the ads on the Kindle?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I picked up a new Google Pixel XL yesterday and I'm trying to figure out what it is about my home network that has the wifi performing like dogshit. It takes forever to grab anything from the Play store and I have my other phone still here (LG G3) and the wifi on it has no problems at all. I didn't have any problems using the wifi at work today either, but now tonight back home it's gone to shit again.

I'm running DD WRT on my router and I've tried all sorts of different wireless combos. Even disable security to try that and nothing seems to change. Anyone else ever see this?

This is a little while ago but do you use the Android Beta program? When I updated to the beta ROM earlier this month the 5X hates wifi networks with a passion. Not just mine. It won't stay connected anywhere. Also Google Music just stops playing. YouTube, podcasts, twitch, everything else plays just fine, but Music acts like it doesn't know how to play a song. Either streaming or on downloaded library files. Probably won't do the beta thing anymore unless I had a second phone to play around with.