Smartphones

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Here's my Pixel review coming previously from a Note 4:

I miss my goddamn hard button on the front.

Camera's great, speed is great, having a robot tell me the weather is fine. I just miss my goddamn front button. Having software buttons actually take up more room, since the screen's pretty much the same as my Note 4 means it's taking up more screen real estate to show those buttons.

pixelbezelbottombruh.jpg

In summary, I wish the Note 7 wasn't a pocket explosive.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Here's my Pixel review coming previously from a Note 4:

I miss my goddamn hard button on the front.

Camera's great, speed is great, having a robot tell me the weather is fine. I just miss my goddamn front button. Having software buttons actually take up more room, since the screen's pretty much the same as my Note 4 means it's taking up more screen real estate to show those buttons.

View attachment 100619

In summary, I wish the Note 7 wasn't a pocket explosive.

Come join us in the land of (almost) no bezels.

Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-2.@750.jpg

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So my antenna or whatever the fuck on my G4 has been sucking massive dick and I am tired of raging at it. I am also tired of paying 700-800 dollars (or more) for a fucking phone. I was thinking 6p as replacement, anyone have any other suggestions in the 300-400 dollars range?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just got my older kid an S7 edge since he was up for a new one coming from a S4. Pretty nice phone. The camera is fucking spectacular as is the screen. I still have a year left on mine and im sure there will be some new shit coming, but this is a nice fucking phone.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mur

Trakanon Raider
The best phone ever just died...

bestphoneever.jpg

I am waiting for the Pixel to be in stock. Think I am in for a bit of technology shock.

Slithum

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum
Some good $400ish phones would be Oneplus 3t , Honor 8 , ZTE Axon 7 but fyi these can't be used on verizon or sprint

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I bought one of their tablets about a year ago, I don't know how you can consider Samsung's bloatware "minimal" just because they are less than the worst offender. Icon layout, menu choice, and settings are all different than standard android. You need to make a Samsung account, of course. There are certain apps you can't prevent from updating.

To get one with a warranty is over $750. That plus some nice novelties like wireless charging is not worth $300+ compared to a 1+3. It's the only phone I'm considering out of mid-range because of the uniqueness of the screen. I don't really care about anything else because they aren't unique to the phone.
Guess I don't care that Samsung apps I never use update themselves? App layout is like any other phone? It's icon on a damn screen. How different can it really be? I have a Nexus 7 tablet that runs stock Android and app layout is for sure not any different.

Menu layout on kit Kat is annoying as hell. At least the settings menu. But on Android 5.0 and 6.0 it's all nearly the same?

You like the screen, and the extra features are nice, and that's what you have to justify whether is worth the extra money or not as the rest of it is tiny differences, imo. To not buy a phone because the app layout varies slightly is petty imo. But it sounds like you'd be constantly upset at how much you spent on a phone so probably better to just go with the 1+3.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Guess I don't care that Samsung apps I never use update themselves? App layout is like any other phone? It's icon on a damn screen. How different can it really be? I have a Nexus 7 tablet that runs stock Android and app layout is for sure not any different.

Menu layout on kit Kat is annoying as hell. At least the settings menu. But on Android 5.0 and 6.0 it's all nearly the same?

You like the screen, and the extra features are nice, and that's what you have to justify whether is worth the extra money or not as the rest of it is tiny differences, imo. To not buy a phone because the app layout varies slightly is petty imo. But it sounds like you'd be constantly upset at how much you spent on a phone so probably better to just go with the 1+3.
we live in a world of OCD and gay fags that constantly need new UI's and icons

really? yes really since these are the MOST downloaded apps icon packs and ui themes.

fags

Crone

we live in a world of OCD and gay fags that constantly need new UI's and icons

really? yes really since these are the MOST downloaded apps icon packs and ui themes.

fags
I used to care about the placement and layout of my apps and ui. Then I had kids. Lol. They learn real quick how to move your shit all around.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of giving kids a smartphone. I am going to do that for a 12 year old this Christmas. I was kind of looking for suggestions for monitoring software.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
So, new job / town, requires I get either a GPS for my car or a new phone . . . so I gotta ditch the damn flip phone I got last year.

I am loathe to spend any real $$$, just want to text / swype (that universal now?), and have GPS / google maps. Would love a decent cpu etc so its fast . . . dont care about camera etc.

Some good $400ish phones would be Oneplus 3t , Honor 8 , ZTE Axon 7 but fyi these can't be used on verizon or sprint

Those pretty much the best options for that? Had a HTC One M8 for a few years, thought it was pretty decent. I dunno . . . tempted to get some random 50$ crap off Amazon, but checking here first.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Those pretty much the best options for that? Had a HTC One M8 for a few years, thought it was pretty decent. I dunno . . . tempted to get some random 50$ crap off Amazon, but checking here first.

My sister got one of those subsidized Blu phones from amazon for $50 as a temporary replacement for her Note 7 while she waits for the S8 next year. She says it's not as bad as you would think a $50 phone would be, but it's still pretty lousy.

If you're willing to pay for something in the $400 range, the OnePlus 3T is pretty hard to beat. Oxygen OS just slightly modified stock android so you don't end up with a shit ton of crapware that you get with cheaper phones.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So, new job / town, requires I get either a GPS for my car or a new phone . . . so I gotta ditch the damn flip phone I got last year.

I am loathe to spend any real $$$, just want to text / swype (that universal now?), and have GPS / google maps. Would love a decent cpu etc so its fast . . . dont care about camera etc.
What are you currently using now as a carrier?, you could easily just get a basic used/refurbished or just old stock galaxy s5/s6

Crone

My sister got one of those subsidized Blu phones from amazon for $50 as a temporary replacement for her Note 7 while she waits for the S8 next year. She says it's not as bad as you would think a $50 phone would be, but it's still pretty lousy.

If you're willing to pay for something in the $400 range, the OnePlus 3T is pretty hard to beat. Oxygen OS just slightly modified stock android so you don't end up with a shit ton of crapware that you get with cheaper phones.
Curious how that worked for your sister? I assume the "upgrade" or whatever just stays on her account until she wants to use it? or does it go away as soon as you activate the other phone on the account?