Smartphones

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I never did figure out exactly what was causing my wifi problems, but I did fix it. I had different issues at home and work. At work, I noticed that every time I'd turn the screen back on, my wifi signal had been lost and then it would reconnect. This was solved by a firmware update on our work router.

At home, it was just terribly slow. Also firmware related..I tried changing every wireless setting I could think of with DD WRT. In the end, I flashed Open WRT and I have had no issues since.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Any Pixel XL users find a great case for it? I've got a cheap one on order

I bought a cheapass case back when there was hardly any selection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LRMWHPA It's fits well and isn't terrible. I'll likely replace it when something comes along that catches my eye. I don't need much from a case though, I just want something relatively thin that offers just basic protection.

Might want to keep an eye on this page: Cold case files: Google Pixel case reviews (Updated: 11/16/16)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Pretty frustrated over the holiday with Google Fi on my 6p. Spent it in rural Colorado (81050) and had zero signal more often than I had just traces. Unless there's something obviously wrong with my phone I'll be headed back to a traditional carrier before any more family trips back there.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I noticed that Google lets you make custom phone cases.

I want one with just my face on it. Uggo face

moontayle

Golden Squire
Pretty frustrated over the holiday with Google Fi on my 6p. Spent it in rural Colorado (81050) and had zero signal more often than I had just traces. Unless there's something obviously wrong with my phone I'll be headed back to a traditional carrier before any more family trips back there.
Well the Fi network just uses T-mobile and Sprint iirc. When it comes down to it, it's really no different from numerous other "off brands" like Cricket or Boost or MetroPCS. Just, you know, Google branded.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I miss my Note 4 flip case. Best case I've ever owned
I have a Note 4, link?

Also i've gotten a couple of rapid chargers.

2 off brand for the cars, they work great, on long 4-6 hour trips the gps/podcast couldn't keep up and it'd die halfway even on usb2.4 charging. Yes, i hate the screen dim, i always want it on. Using the rapid charge the Note4 is at 100% from start to finish. (been using this a few months)

Also i've gotten a few samsung rapid chargers, (home) no idea if they're off brand, fake or whatever, it says samsung, and they charge just as fast.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I have a Note 4, link?

Also i've gotten a couple of rapid chargers.

2 off brand for the cars, they work great, on long 4-6 hour trips the gps/podcast couldn't keep up and it'd die halfway even on usb2.4 charging. Yes, i hate the screen dim, i always want it on. Using the rapid charge the Note4 is at 100% from start to finish. (been using this a few months)

Also i've gotten a few samsung rapid chargers, (home) no idea if they're off brand, fake or whatever, it says samsung, and they charge just as fast.

Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Case, S View Flip Cover Folio Case - White: Cell Phones & Accessories

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
In the market for a new phone and not sure what to buy.

Kinda want an S7 Edge but Samsung bloatware(i'd...probably put a custom rom on there), battery issues on similar products, and no warranty unless you buy the really expensive model is making me wary. Note, this is the only $600+ phone I'm willing to consider because I like the uniqueness of the screen.

I like the 1+3, but a 1080p pentile at 5.5 inches reminds me of the pentile screen Samsung used on the Galaxy Nexus. It was definitely noticeable on text and certain solid colors. Would buy this phone otherwise, it's a steal for the price.

ZTE Axon 7. Don't trust the brand, never heard of them before. Potential bloatware since everyone has to have their fucking OS skin. Curved glass screams gimmick hiding deeper flaws.

Was really hoping the successor to the Moto Pure X(Play Z) wasn't such a turd in the SoC department.

Thanks for leaving the mid-range market a complete shit pile, Google. A Pixel phone in the $400 range probably would have been really good for the market.

wat do?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Kinda want an S7 Edge but Samsung bloatware(i'd...probably put a custom rom on there), battery issues on similar products, and no warranty unless you buy the really expensive model is making me wary. Note, this is the only $600+ phone I'm willing to consider because I like the uniqueness of the screen.

I like the 1+3, but a 1080p pentile at 5.5 inches reminds me of the pentile screen Samsung used on the Galaxy Nexus. It was definitely noticeable on text and certain solid colors. Would buy this phone otherwise, it's a steal for the price.

ZTE Axon 7. Don't trust the brand, never heard of them before. Potential bloatware since everyone has to have their fucking OS skin. Curved glass screams gimmick hiding deeper flaws.

Was really hoping the successor to the Moto Pure X(Play Z) wasn't such a turd in the SoC department.

Thanks for leaving the mid-range market a complete shit pile, Google. A Pixel phone in the $400 range probably would have been really good for the market.

wat do?

If you're going to go the OnePlus route, the 3 has been (or is in the process of being) discontinued in favor of the 3T. For $40 extra the SoC gets bumped to a Snapdragon 821, the battery to 3400 mah and it gets a 128 GB storage option. From what I've read the screen really isn't that bad, though if the Galaxy Nexus bothered you this one might. Value wise the phone is outstanding, and if I hadn't given in to the Pixel hype (and wanting to give Fi a shot), this would have been my new phone.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

wat do?
I had the Note 5, then went Note 7, then went S7 Edge, and I have no issues with it. The bloatware is minimal, and I don't notice it at all. Verizon has more intrusive bloatware that needs to be disabled than Samsung does. The phone is fast, and handles everything really well. I see no reason to go with anything else, considering all they pack into it. Wireless charging, Waterproof, etc etc.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I bought one of their tablets about a year ago, I don't know how you can consider Samsung's bloatware "minimal" just because they are less than the worst offender. Icon layout, menu choice, and settings are all different than standard android. You need to make a Samsung account, of course. There are certain apps you can't prevent from updating.

To get one with a warranty is over $750. That plus some nice novelties like wireless charging is not worth $300+ compared to a 1+3. It's the only phone I'm considering out of mid-range because of the uniqueness of the screen. I don't really care about anything else because they aren't unique to the phone.

jeydax

Death and Taxes

I just checked their coverage map. It looks possible that you would have had some dead zones while driving and possibly no coverage if you were in a blank spot the whole itme. Install FiSwitch and check the different networks next time?

Maps according to...
Google Fi
T-Mobile
Sprint
US Cellular

It has been really rare for me to be on anything other than T-Mobile - there's been a few spots here and there where Sprint was stronger but for the most part I just keep it forced to T-Mobile. I was really surprised how great the signal was when I was in Mexico too.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, looks like I was staying near a 4g/3g boundary, and on the highway there were certainly a number of dead areas between La Junta and Pueblo. Even at home now my phone hasn't seemed to switch from wifi to Fi very seamlessly, maybe it's time to factory reset it and give it a fresh start or something. Only one or two issues here though, nothing as consistently bad as when I was in Colorado.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I just checked their coverage map. It looks possible that you would have had some dead zones while driving and possibly no coverage if you were in a blank spot the whole itme. Install FiSwitch and check the different networks next time?

Maps according to...
Google Fi
T-Mobile
Sprint
US Cellular

It has been really rare for me to be on anything other than T-Mobile - there's been a few spots here and there where Sprint was stronger but for the most part I just keep it forced to T-Mobile. I was really surprised how great the signal was when I was in Mexico too.
I find those coverage maps to be BS really. For example it shows light green coverage all the way down Interstate 5 in California (through Central Cali), and that is total BS. We drive that at least a couple times a year because I still have family in Southern Califronia, and I have no reception probably 50% of the drive down that highway. And when I do have reception, it is unreliable at best.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Oh I totally agree with that, but it is at least a barometer of where you should at least have SOME of a connection. Along the I-5 corridor you're talking about I could see it being really spotty.