Smartphones

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, maybe we dont use headphone jacks, but my 2 teenagers basically live with at least one phone jack in the ear at all times 24/7.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I will never understand why people were up in arms about the iPhone removing the headphone jack. It was only a matter of time before that technology was made totally obsolete, and that time is rapidly approaching. Rumor is the Pixel 2 is removing it as well.

Invest in a decent pair of bluetooth headphones/buds people!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I posted yesterday about how this map is bullshit, but it got eaten with the server migration/crash. They claim the entire stretch of the 5 in California is covered, but having made that drive 100 times (between the bay area and the LA area) I can tell you right now that there is 0 coverage through T-Mobile in huge stretches of that drive. So to me it makes that entire map dubious.

Edit: Clarified my statement a bit

Lol at their definition of verified coverage on the map. The only qualifying criteria they use to paint is if a customer device has ever connected to 4G at that location. There is no reliability metrics and no information to indicate quality or speed. This is not a TSB-88 map. It's just fluff.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I will never understand why people were up in arms about the iPhone removing the headphone jack. It was only a matter of time before that technology was made totally obsolete, and that time is rapidly approaching. Rumor is the Pixel 2 is removing it as well.

Invest in a decent pair of bluetooth headphones/buds people!
Another device powered by batteries is not what I want.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Qualcomm Snapdragon has just came out (October 2016) with a X50 chipset for handheld devices to receive 5Gbps speeds... Really? You going to buy into this crap and pay $10k for this technology to find out that it's not even obtainable through any service provider even through 100 line aggrevations.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Another device powered by batteries is not what I want.

Ehh... Mine last 6-7 hours straight. And fuck having a cord connected to my phone/head when I am mowing the lawn/driving.

Still dumb that companies are doing away with the jacks though.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Tuck your cord into your shirt while mowing, really cuts down on branch snags.

7 hours doesn't seem like enough when you know there are perfectly good devices that require no charging. How much charge does the battery lose in between usages?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ehh... Mine last 6-7 hours straight. And fuck having a cord connected to my phone/head when I am mowing the lawn/driving.

Are those your iPhone buds or others? I need a pair but haven't been happy with previous ones. Maybe I'll go troll the headphone thread. Really want something comfortable for sleeping, there was an old pair of micro in ear Bluetooth that worked well. But they were like $10 Chinese repacked crackerkack box stuff.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>

8 hour work shift. 12 hours with OT.

Nah.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Tuck your cord into your shirt while mowing, really cuts down on branch snags.

7 hours doesn't seem like enough when you know there are perfectly good devices that require no charging. How much charge does the battery lose in between usages?

I've done the whole "tuck the cord away" thing. I'd rather just use the bluetooth. 7 hours is plenty long when all they're being used for is mowing the lawn or using them as a phone ear-piece while driving here and there. Those perfectly good devices might not require charging but they also require your phone to be connected to them. That's the whole fucking point of using Bluetooth. I can walk around my garage and do work without worrying about the cord, and without having to have my phone on me. Or I can more easily look shit up while I'm on a call without a dumbass cord being tethered to the phone. It's simply easier.

I'm not sure the battery loss between usages because I'm using them on an almost daily basis.

Are those your iPhone buds or others? I need a pair but haven't been happy with previous ones. Maybe I'll go troll the headphone thread. Really want something comfortable for sleeping, there was an old pair of micro in ear Bluetooth that worked well. But they were like $10 Chinese repacked crackerkack box stuff.

I don't use anything fancy really, I've got two different kinds that I've used. I've got a pair of Anker SoundBuds Slim (7 hour life) and Anker SoundBuds (8 hour life), both were around $18-20 when I'd purchased them. I prefer the "slim" version but they're basically the same product. They're obviously not top notch or anything spectacular. I specifically got these because A) they didn't break the bank and B) I use them working around the house/yard and don't want to risk having a $100+ pair get banged up while I'm building shit or chopping shit down or something.

Some better earbud type bluetooth headphones around $75-120 that get tossed out there by other people are the mee x7, or Jaybird X3 Sport.

Last edited:

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Bluetooth speaker for yard work. No cord, plenty loud enough, and you can still respond to what's going on around you if a neighbor comes up and says "hi" while your back is turned.

If you're mowing the lawn/using power equipment, you should probably be wearing earplugs instead of headphones. Replacing an already loud noise with an even louder one is kinda defeatist in the grand scheme of things. My tinnitus is only bad enough to bother me in silent rooms, I don't really want to make it worse.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The earbuds I'd linked block out noise almost as well as my construction earplugs do, which is one of the major benefits of using them when mowing the lawn or other yard tools. Ditto for running the table, miter, or skil saws. No need to blast the music. Moot point.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Unscientifically? At least for the earBUDS I'd linked, I'd say for the type of earmuffs you're referring to they are probably about 1/2 as noise isolating. For standard earPLUGS, they are about 2/3 to 3/4 as effective.

...unscientifically.

Oldbased

> Than U
Free on T-Mobile starting today. Not sure who else is in and still don't quite understand all of it.

DIGITS launches May 31 after successful beta. Every T-Mobile customer will be able to use their phone number across multiple connected devices for free and can get extra DIGITS lines to use on their smartphone or other devices

Bellevue, Washington — May 25, 2017 — Continuing the Un-carrier's summer celebration with a second announcement, today, T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) Chief Operating Officer Mike Sievert revealed in a video blog that DIGITS is launching Wednesday, May 31. DIGITS is revolutionary new technology that breaks down the limitation of one number per phone and one phone per number. On May 31, every T-Mobile customer's phone number will be upgraded to DIGITS for free—and customers can get another DIGITS line for just $10 a month with AutoPay. And, for a limited time, T-Mobile ONE Plus with taxes and fees included comes with an extra DIGITS line—at no extra cost.

"Phone numbers are so yesterday—DIGITS are now," said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. "Starting next week, T-Mobile doesn't have phone numbers anymore—we have DIGITS. They're your REAL T-Mobile phone number but with none of the old limits. DIGITS is another industry-shaking Un-carrier innovation aimed at changing wireless for good."

During the beta program, tens of thousands of T-Mobile customers put DIGITS through its paces, testing DIGITS' native seamless integration in Samsung Galaxy smartphones and the DIGITS iOS and Android apps. In a follow-up survey, the beta testers said their favorite features were using their DIGITS on a secondary phone, using a second DIGITS line on their primary smartphone and sending text messages from a PC. Ninety-six percent used the DIGITS app on additional smartphones and tablets, and 41 percent used DIGITS via a browser on their PC.

On Wednesday, May 31, all T-Mobile phone numbers will automatically become DIGITS, and all T-Mobile customers can use their DIGITS on virtually any connected device—phone, tablet, smartwatch, computer and more. For example, if you want your phone calls to ring both your smartphone and your connected smartwatch, DIGITS can make that happen. Want to shoot off a text from your tablet or laptop? DIGITS can do that, too. Moving forward, it's all part of being a T-Mobile customer.

For anyone buying T-Mobile ONE Plus with taxes and fees included, for a limited time, you'll get an extra DIGITS Talk & Text line at absolutely no additional cost to you for as long as you keep Plus. Plus is T-Mobile's most popular add-on and includes unlimited HD video streaming (US only), unlimited mobile hotspot with up to 10GB of high speed data, unlimited Gogo® Wi-Fi on your smartphone for the full flight and more for just $5 per month.

How will YOU use your extra DIGITS?
Today, more than 30 million Americans carry at least two devices—meaning they pay for at least two devices, at least two plans and at least two times the carrier network access fees. This problem is particularly painful for business owners. Right now, close to a third (31%) of business owners juggle two or more phones with work numbers and personal numbers. All told, the cost to US wireless customers is a whopping $10 billion every year. Now, with DIGITS, T-Mobile aims to change all that.

"We're ending that awkward Two-Phone-Juggle," said Sievert. "With DIGITS, you don't have to carry two phones to have two numbers. Now, you can use more than one DIGITS line on the same smartphone—for business, for life, for anything you need. That's going to save a lot of people a lot of juggling and a lot of money."

With DIGITS, businesses can skip the headache and the costs of setting employees up with new devices and work numbers. Instead, businesses can now simply provide DIGITS lines to everyone. DIGITS will even work on phones from Verizon and AT&T. And, DIGITS is great for group or general business lines. Assign DIGITS as your Sales number so that, when it rings, everyone in Sales gets the call. Businesses can also keep those DIGITS—and all associated contacts and recent history—if an employee leaves.

Families might want to use DIGITS to move a home number to everyone's smartphones—so you can keep the number but get rid of that landline. Then, when the home phone rings, it rings everyone. Think of your DIGITS as the new family line, without the anchor to a wall in your house. There are 58 million households with landlines in the US today, and 43 percent of them say they'd cut the cord if they could keep that number.

And, for improved security and privacy, use your extra DIGITS for any other situation where you may not want to pass along your personal number, like selling on Craigslist or dating or just signing up for things online. The possible uses for your extra DIGITS lines are virtually endless.

"DIGITS is another industry-shaking T-Mobile innovation that wouldn't be possible without all the advanced technologies already built into our network—so you won't see anything like this from the carriers anytime soon," said Sievert. "DIGITS bring phone numbers into the Digital Age. And, we're doing it all for our favorite people—our customers."

As a special thank you, T-Mobile is giving every one of the tens of thousands of customers who participated in the DIGITS beta program their extra DIGITS lines for as long as they're with T-Mobile.

DIGITS is available starting May 31 at T-Mobile stores nationwide and at www.t-mobile.com/getDIGITS.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ordered my Xfinity Mobile plan yesterday, phone should be here Friday so I'll guinea pig up and see how it works. Just took the LG X Power since it is like $5 / month and try to use my Nexus 5X instead. $45 + $5 will still be cheaper than Fi in the long run with the amount of data I'm using now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am looking to upgrade my Moto X Pure. Does anyone know if One Plus has something new coming out soon? How are the Moto Zs?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Just got my Pixel XL today, it'll be nice to have a battery back again.

I've not googled around yet, how bad is the burn on on the Pixel screens? The 6P had some pretty wicked burn in, granted that was after 2~ ish years of use.