Smartphones

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Noodleface Noodleface to be fair, the MMS thing isn't really limited to Fi. While I have had that issue a time or two, it has been far from egregious. Certainly not to the point that made me though, "Gee, I really should pay an extra 60 fucking dollars a month to get some stupid meme pic my brothers sent me in that group message!"

But anyways, it definitely isn't isolated to only Fi. One brother has Verizon and another has AT&T and they've both had the issue before as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I understand, it's just very pronounced on Fi in my area. I'd bet it's from switching networks in my area or something. On Verizon it happened rarely and certainly it's not something that happens consistently on Fi.

It's a small issue, as long as I don't miss wife stuff I'm good (she's 8 months along FUCK)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You know I check around for my different renters, auto, etc insurance every year, and yet, regardless of the price, I don't ever do the same with my cell phone service. Of course sometimes it's true, maybe a lot of the times, but I feel like Verizon having the vastly better network back in the day sure as shit has paid for itself over and over again in sheer society perception.

All these deals like Xfinity or Fi sound great, but I don't want to mess up a good thing going with Verizon, even if it's more expensive. :(
it's better if you can qualify for employee pricing discount from your company. Wife qualifies for 20% our Verizon bill, makes it more stomachable.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
T-Mobile is trying to buy customers before VZW brings 5G network into play. Know that the speed plans will be coming soon so don't opt for any long term contracts.
Is there a way to find out what services are available, and their reliability, in my area?
Looking for something around $50/month.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I am knocking on wood, have had comcast for 15 years and zero issues. No billing screw ups, can only remember 1 outage while we were at home and never have a slow down issue that plagued them.

As far as Fi we have no issues with the service but the wife wants an iPhone again. I don't mind going with comcast with this pricing just want to see others experience any initial headaches before jumping on board.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
T-Mobile is trying to buy customers before VZW brings 5G network into play. Know that the speed plans will be coming soon so don't opt for any long term contracts.
Is there a way to find out what services are available, and their reliability, in my area?
Looking for something around $50/month.

T-mobile has only one plan now. Tmobile One with unlimited everything is $50 and thats with all taxes and fees included in that price. Here is a link to their coverage map.

4G LTE Coverage Map | Check Your 4G LTE Cell Phone Coverage | T-Mobile

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I pay roughly $300-$325 for unlimited and 4 lines, plus 4 phones being on the 2 yr payment plan through verizon. Been with them since i got mt firct cellie in the 90s

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah I understand, it's just very pronounced on Fi in my area. I'd bet it's from switching networks in my area or something. On Verizon it happened rarely and certainly it's not something that happens consistently on Fi.

It's a small issue, as long as I don't miss wife stuff I'm good (she's 8 months along FUCK)

You're probably right about the network switching. You could try doing what I do and just force it to stay on T-Mobile (or Sprint, or US Cellular, whatever is bet). I've done that for a long time and have had my phone forced on T-Mobile without allowing switching because T-Mobile is always the best in my metro area.

I use the FiSwitch app but I think you can force it by just dialing a certain code into the phone.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Screenshot_20170526-102405.png

T-mobile has only one plan now. Tmobile One with unlimited everything is $50 and thats with all taxes and fees included in that price. Here is a link to their coverage map.

$70/month? All I'm getting.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
My bad. It auto changed to two lines when i looked it up. It is indeed $70 for one and $50 per line if you have 2. Dunno what the other carriers are charging and if it would still be cheaper for you since the Tmobile price is with all taxes and fees included.
That is a "Bait and switch" plan. It will go up soon. I might check out Cricket at 8Mbps instead of the 5Mbps with Straight Talk. Thanks for letting me know.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Damn, might seriously jump on the Xfinity deal. $45 is great, even $65 would because I started using a lot more data than before. Plus Fi is crap in my region and Verizon is over saturated. Now I just need to see what my cheapest Verizon phone I can get to bring since the 5X won't work and I'm thinking about going iPhone 8.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
In the last week my Nexus 6P has gone from fine to damn near paper weight. Fucker can't hold a charge. I'll be at 100% when I wake up, check an email or two for a few minutes, take a shower, get to work 30 minutes later and I'm at 71%.

Not sure I can wait for the Pixel 2 to come out at this point. Sonuvabitch.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>

I posted yesterday about how this map is bullshit, but it got eaten with the server migration/crash. They claim the entire stretch of the 5 in California is covered, but having made that drive 100 times (between the bay area and the LA area) I can tell you right now that there is 0 coverage through T-Mobile in huge stretches of that drive. So to me it makes that entire map dubious.

Edit: Clarified my statement a bit

Last edited:

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^
Stolen from reddit:

$699. No headphone jack. 5.7 inch screen. 3040mah.
TLDR: Galaxy S8 minus headphone jack and worse screen

Apparently a headphone jack as not "essential".

Seeing as this phone isn't being picked up by any carriers it is going to sell like shit.

It'll be interesting to see if the phone performs well in real-life and the standard speed tests the internet runs. Of course people are going to be super butt-hurt about lack of headphone jack but I can't remember the last time I actually used mine. No water-proofing is a negative but not the end of the world for me personally.