Smartphones

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just got my Pixel XL today, it'll be nice to have a battery back again.

I've not googled around yet, how bad is the burn on on the Pixel screens? The 6P had some pretty wicked burn in, granted that was after 2~ ish years of use.

I've had a Pixel XL since launch and have no burn in so far.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Is there anyway to set permissions for things like GPS for apps to only use when the app is actually running on Android like you can on the Iphone? I had no idea you could do that on an Iphone and explains why friends of mine get two fucking days on a charge easily with their Iphones while mine dies by the time I get home.

Is there anyway to set permissions for things like GPS for apps to only use when the app is actually running on Android like you can on the Iphone? I had no idea you could do that on an Iphone and explains why friends of mine get two fucking days on a charge easily with their Iphones while mine dies by the time I get home.

Battery optimization is what you want for droid. You can turn it on for all apps (recommended) or customize on a per app basis. Battery Saver is more extreme and completely shuts down apps rather than just sleeping them.

How to use Android Marshmallow battery optimization? - Android Guides

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Cool Intrinsic, keep us updated how it goes.

Just got my phone. Transferring from Fi was stupid easy. The Fi app gives you everything you need if you go to Manage Plan > Cancel Services > Port Number. Shows you account number and PIN and you put that in the Xfinity activation site. Took maybe 15 minutes for the transfer success email, so don't worry if it isn't instant.

Debating just using the LG X Power instead of the old 5X. I mean, I'm paying for it, and it's new so it doesn't have that two years old bloat and slow down. We'll see.

Oh, also got a $50 gift card from Fandango, so there's that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Wow they really made that so much easier. I kinda want to hold out till the iPhone 8 is announced but hearing $1k possibly doesn't really interest me all that much. Thanks for the info though, waiting to hear how the first billing cycle goes and will probably move over.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Wow they really made that so much easier. I kinda want to hold out till the iPhone 8 is announced but hearing $1k possibly doesn't really interest me all that much. Thanks for the info though, waiting to hear how the first billing cycle goes and will probably move over.

Oh I forgot to mention. I did go through the whole activation process on the new phone, then just put the SIM I in the 5X and it worked fine. So no problem keeping the old device if you're in to that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
And my Note 4 is dying, getting "mmc_read failed" during bootup occasionally and numerous freezes and reboots during use.

Fuck you Samsung. $800 piece of shit.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
And my Note 4 is dying, getting "mmc_read failed" during bootup occasionally and numerous freezes and reboots during use.

Fuck you Samsung. $800 piece of shit.
Wipe and reset the device?

And why so mad it's dying? I'd consider it a win if you were able to keep a phone for over 2 years...

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wipe and reset the device?

And why so mad it's dying? I'd consider it a win if you were able to keep a phone for over 2 years...

$800 devices should not be failing after 3 years. Also from searching it seems to be a common problem with Note 4s having this problem, not some one off random thing.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Verizon finally upped the price on my grandfathered unlimited data plan to $50 a month. I'm thinking of switching to google Fi just because I don't use the data much since I'm on wifi all time. Is Fi a pretty good service overall or does it depend on where you are at?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Verizon finally upped the price on my grandfathered unlimited data plan to $50 a month. I'm thinking of switching to google Fi just because I don't use the data much since I'm on wifi all time. Is Fi a pretty good service overall or does it depend on where you are at?

Depends on where you are just because of the T Mobile - Sprint thing. If you have Comcast you can look in to their plan that I just switched to from Fi. If you're comfortable with Verizon's coverage in your area and want to stay the same.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I would suggest finding someone you know who has TMobile or Sprint and asking how their service coverage is. Don't believe the bullshit coverage maps they have.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
I am in Atlanta, Google Fi is perfectly fine in the metro area. Deep inside buildings if on Sprint can get tricky but I just switch over to T Mobile and have no issues.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Well, my second Nexus 5x bricked in less than 6 weeks. So, uhh, fuck Fi, and fuck their shitty phones.

Moto G5 Plus, here we come.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
What phones do you guys have that DON'T degrade after 2 years? Just because I'm in the industry and want to see what consumers think if you don't mind me asking?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My Nexus 5 is over 3 years old and still lasts me 2 days per charge most of the time! I use it very sparingly though. The battery degradation is definitely there. Probably going to replace it with a 1+5 that's being announced on the 20th.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
I am looking to upgrade my Moto X Pure. Does anyone know if One Plus has something new coming out soon? How are the Moto Zs?
OnePlus 5 has a watch party going on June 20th at their website here
https://oneplus.net/launch

And Moto Z2 Play and Force Motorola Moto Z2 Play - Full phone specifications

Screenshot_20170608-091643.png
Screenshot_20170608-091338.png

Moto Z2 Force
Moto Z2 Force smiles in a leaked press render - GSMArena.com news

Moto Z2 unlocked This is what the Moto Z2 will look like - GSMArena.com news

The Moto to watch with the newest tech is the Moto G5S Plus with the Dual camera, Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 or even 660 with the newest Nougat 7.1.2 OS and all metal construction. Rumored to have 4/6GB Ram and 64/128GB Rom respectively.
Premium Moto phone range is on the way, leaks suggest
gsmarena_002 (1).jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
What phones do you guys have that DON'T degrade after 2 years? Just because I'm in the industry and want to see what consumers think if you don't mind me asking?
I still have a Galaxy Note 4, and I love it. I have $5/month service plan on my account, so I've replaced this device 2 times in the past, but it doesn't matter. It still works fine. I've also gone through a few batteries, but I like that it's an option.

My only "big" issue was the phone causing my micro SD card to format itself, and I didn't have a backup of pictures for about 2 months. That sucked.