Smartphones

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The people who love their BBM can't seem to explain why they love it.

Have they not used FBM?
The one thing I actually loved about my blackberry was that it would pool ALL your messages into 1 app by default. Emails(from multiple addresses) as well as texts & instant messages all in one spot. I know there are 3rd party apps that can do this on iOS and Android now, but it was nice having that built into a phone by default.

Grez

Trakanon Raider
I'm looking to get a phone that I'd be able to comfortably read PDFs for hours on end. I've considered getting both a tablet and phone, but I'd prefer to have just one device. I've been thinking Galaxy s3 or s4. Any suggestions? Thanks! =)

Neki

Molten Core Raider
I'm looking to get a phone that I'd be able to comfortably read PDFs for hours on end. I've considered getting both a tablet and phone, but I'd prefer to have just one device. I've been thinking Galaxy s3 or s4. Any suggestions? Thanks! =)
That's pretty much asking for the impossible as reading anything for long periods of time on a standard 4inch phone screen pretty much sucks no matter what the phone is.

You probably be better looking at a Galaxy Note 2 or the impending Note 3 for your needs and even then, it is not ideal. 7 inch tablets like the Nexus 7 is pretty much perfect for comfortable reading.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you're honestly reading PDFs for hours, get a tablet. I love my S4, but reading on it for any longer than it takes to take a crap is uncomfortable. You'll go blind if you are reading for hours on a phone every day. Not worth the headache. Good phones are nice for 5-10 minute email/web checks, but not for lengthy reading at all.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I have Verizon service and a trust old Droid X, several years old at this point obviously, both serve me well but I should probably upgrade my phone to something newer. Honestly, it does everything I want it to and I don't even use it much, mostly I just like to have internets for when I'm hanging out in waiting rooms and such. Sometimes I take a pic with it and send it to a friend, email, text and such, nothing interesting or complicated at all. Like I said, it does everything I need and if it hasn't been accumulating damage and I didn't have the "new phone every few years" plan I would keep it longer.

All that said, I'm not too interested in learning a whole new thing and certainly don't want an evil Apple product. So just curious if you guys who do keep up with this sort of thing could suggest what is the closest modern direct upgrade to my old friend Droid X?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Dang, the Nexus 5 seems almost kind of tempting. I love my Nexus 4, but 0.5" of extra screen real estate seems like a pretty awesome compromise between a larger screen and keeping the phone in my pocket. I really have almost nothing to complain about on the Nexus 4, outside of shitty speakers and lack of memory expansion.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Agree that is something I was also looking for, I have my tablet for normal reading but wanted my phone to work as a backup for when i was more noble. I would second looking at a phablet like the note 3 or the LG Optimus g pro or maybe even the galaxy mega

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If those specs are correct, and it can come in at a decent pricepoint($300-$350), that is a hell of a phone.

It's a tad more powerful than the S4. screen is bigger (5.2" vs 5"), processor is faster (2.3 ghz vs 1.9 ghz), both have 13MP cameras, and the N5 has a slightly bigger battery (2700 mAH vs 2600)

That could be a hell of a phone at the right price

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
the Note 2 is basically a giant Galaxy S3, with a few software features that the S4 has. Technologically, it falls in-between the S3 and S4(S3 hardware with some S4 software). So unless the larger(yet lower resolution) screen is a deciding factor, the S4 is superior tech.
Although the Note 2 has software that the S4 doesn't have as well. My mom has the S4 and using them side by side I still think the Note 2 is the superior device.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
All Nexus products released thus far has been extremely competitive price wise. I would expect this to continue as Google look to try and dominate the market. You can bet that this will continue and the Nexus 5 will retail at an really aggressive price point to gain market share.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I fully hope to be deciding between the Nexus 5 and Note 3 when I get a new phone this October. Can't wait to see them both in action.

Cor_sl

shitlord
It looks like Google accidentally showed off the Nexus 5 in their 4.4 Kitkat promotional vid.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/469...5-kitkat-video

1SuQhNG.gif

If it has a camera with OIS, a bigger battery, and better speakers, I'll definitely be upgrading from my Nexus 4.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If those specs are correct, and it can come in at a decent pricepoint($300-$350), that is a hell of a phone.

It's a tad more powerful than the S4. screen is bigger (5.2" vs 5"), processor is faster (2.3 ghz vs 1.9 ghz), both have 13MP cameras, and the N5 has a slightly bigger battery (2700 mAH vs 2600)

Why are you so worried about bleeding edge processor clock rates? My phone is 2 generations old (galaxy nexus) and I have no yearning for more processor power for what I do with it. If there's a tradeoff between processor power and battery life I would go with battery life every time.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Not worried about it at all, but just showing that the N5 is more powerful than the current "most powerful phone" in almost every meaningful measurement (assuming those specs are accurate)

If you want a battery that lasts longer, a more powerful processor can actually help. It can either do equivalent work as slower processors while at a lighter load %, or it can do more work while ramped up to max while at max for less time. Loading a program and getting back to idle speeds in less time is a good thing for your battery. But lets face it, the majority of your battery is chewed up by the screen on mobile devices, I doubt a few hundred more mhz one way or the other is going to have a drastic effect one way or another on battery life.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Here is the Note 3

Exynos 5420 1.9 GHz or Snapdragon 800 2.3 GHz (LTE) SoC's
5.7" Super AMOLED Full HD Display - 1080 x 1920
3GB RAM
13MP with UHD recording - 1080p @ 60 fps, with 2MP Front Camera
Android 4.3
3200mAh instead of 3100mAh battery
Weighs 168g
Ultra High Quality Audio (192KHz, 24 bit) support
8.3mm instead of 9.4mm thickness
32 or 64GB internal storage with microSD slot

Release date: September 25th for 140 countries and globally in October

Specs look real similar to the rumored Nexus 5 specs, only the screen is a half inch bigger, as well as a bigger battery.