Smartphones

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Speaking of Sprint have you guys ever discussedhttps://ting.com?

Ting sponsors the Joe Rogan podcast and to hear him describe it they sound legit. I guess Ting uses the Sprint Network but have no contracts and they refund money for unused minutes.
Not being able to roam their data to a different available network is a deal breaker. Two of my kids and moy parents live in areas where Sprint is non existant.

Siliconemelons

also, why can't BB but a non alt function period key on their keyboards? No one double spaces to end a sentence anymore and its so needed for websites and email addresses.

the 'old' BlackBerrys had such insane battery life, but I believe that was in part that everything used a very controlled and specific system, BBES for email and BBM for text etc while the move to more open generic and standard settings are more intensive on the battery, active sync etc.

my pre pre2 and pre3 have never let me down in their work horse functionality... And at its time the pre had more features than ios and droid of its day. Its a shame LG bought it to make snazzy smart TVs.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Sounds interesting to me. Any idea on what codec they're using for wifi calling? Where I live now, vzw's signal barely penetrates my house, so I have to resort to wifi calling anyway.

Oh, and how do you get LTE on Republic Wireless? I thought they were a Sprint MVNO, and Sprint hadn't rolled out LTE yet? I know regular Sprint customer can roam onto Verizon, didn't think MVNO customers would be able to.

I take that back, apparently Sprint has rolled out LTE to some areas. Still, wouldn't think an MVNO would get access to that.
Sprint has LTE in my area, even though it hasn't been officially announced. Not sure how they got Sprint's LTE, but they must have been working on it for awhile since they've been testing the Moto X all summer.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
BBC Technology News - Apple fingerprint tech raises 'privacy questions'

A senior US senator believes the fingerprint recognition technology featured in Apple's new iPhone 5S raises "substantial privacy questions".

Senator Al Franken, chairman of the influential Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law, has written to Apple boss Tim Cook explaining his security concerns.

After stealing someone's thumbprint, hackers could "impersonate you for the rest of your life," he wrote.

Apple has yet to comment on the letter.

Mr Franken wants answers to a number of questions, such as:

• whether the fingerprint data stored locally on the mobile phone chip in encrypted form could ever be stolen and converted into digital or visual form that would be usable by hackers or fraudsters
  • whether the iPhone 5S transmits any diagnostic information about the Touch ID system back to Apple or any third parties
  • how well customer fingerprint data will be protected and kept private
  • the exact legal status of such fingerprint data.
Mr Franken has asked Apple to answers his questions within a month of receiving his letter.

Meanwhile, hackers are gearing up to try to crack Apple's Touch ID technology.

The website istouchidhackedyet.com, set up by Nick DePetrillo and Robert Graham, lists a number of people offering rewards - including one for $10,000 from IO Capital, a venture capital company - "to the first person who can reliably and repeatedly break into an iPhone 5S by lifting prints (like from a beer mug)."

Other rewards include a bottle of wine and a book of erotica.
I think this issue pretty much everyone saw when they announced the feature on the new handsets. Like it or not, it's gonna get hacked sooner rather than later and someone to be holding your fingerprint along with unsecured personal information from your phone allows them the opportunity to impersonate your life identity.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
And in other news - GG Blackberry

BBC Business News - Blackberry to cut 4,500 jobs amid earnings plunge

Blackberry has announced it is planning to cut 4,500 jobs, or 40% of its worldwide workforce, in an attempt to staunch huge losses.

The smartphone maker said it anticipated a loss of as much as $995m (?621m) when it reports its second-quarter earnings next week.

Shares in the firm closed down 17% after briefly being halted following the announcement.

In August, the Canadian company said it was evaluating a possible sale.

In a statement on Friday, Blackberry's chief executive Thorstein Heins said: "We are implementing the difficult, but necessary operational changes announced today to address our position in a maturing and more competitive industry, and to drive the company toward profitability."

"Going forward, we plan to refocus our offering on our end-to-end solution of hardware, software and services for enterprises and the productive, professional end user."

The company said the losses were primarily attributable to disappointing sales of its new Z10 model smartphone.

Released in January to much fanfare after many delays, the phone has failed to enthuse consumers.

In June, Mr Heins said that the company had shipped only 2.7 million Z10 phones out of 6.8 million total. Many Blackberry users had instead opted to stick with earlier models.

"The company has sailed off a cliff," BGC technology analyst Colin Gillis told the BBC

"This is the quarter where Blackberry as you used to know it is no longer."

Mr Gillis said the job cuts and losses today could dampen the enthusiasm of potential buyers and might indicate the company could not find any interested parties.

This week, the company released a new version of its handset, the Z30, which was praised by observers but was nonetheless overshadowed by Apple's launch of its new smartphone products.

"It's not a bad phone," said Mr Gillis.

"I'm sure they'll sell at least one.
BBC Technology News - Blackberry reveals date BBM messaging will go to rivals

From this weekend, users will no longer need to own a Blackberry device to access its BBM messaging service.

Blackberry has confirmed BBM will be available as a free download for Apple and Android devices but not for Windows phones.

The move comes as the Wall Street Journal reports that Blackberry will lay off 40% of its staff before 2014.

Widening the appeal of BBM could be a clever way for the company to reinvent itself, said experts.

"Blackberry is having a tough time, sales are down, it is losing market to Windows phones and it needs to do something to stop the rot. This is as good a move as any," said Chris Green, principal technology analyst at Davies Murphy Group Europe.

"Offering it across other platforms broadens the appeal of BBM," he added.

BBM will be available for Android devices running Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean while iPhones running iOS 6 or iOS 7 can also download it. It will be available for Android from Saturday and for iOS from Sunday.

"With more than a billion Android, iOS and Blackberry smartphones in the market, and no dominant mobile messaging platform this is absolutely the right time to bring BBM to Android and iPhone customers," said Andrew Bocking, vice-president for BBM in a blogpost.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
So, I've had my S4 for a few weeks now and I'm still not super comfortable with it. The screen is amazing... But I can't type/txt on it for shit. I end up fat fingering every damn word. Any suggestions? I admit I've been busy as shit and still haven't taken the time to read up on all the features, but I don't think I'm clicking well with android.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Step 1) Download Swift Key

Step 2) Use Swift Key

Step 3) ???

Step 4) Profit.

In short, Swift Key is what every Android Keyboard should be, it looks close to Samsungs stock board but is much better at knowing what you're typing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Hope it helps sir!

I was in teh same boat as you, when I got my S3 I loved everything about it but could not type on it to save my life. I came across Swift Key and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
God I hate when shit becomes so popular it's cool to hate on it...

Side note as I'm really not sure how you can hate the new OS. It's the same shit with different icons/sounds. Also has some nice new perks like being able to swipe to go back on Safari and shit like that. The level of change isn't even close to the change from Win 7 to 8...
I hated popular stuff before it was popular to hate popular stuff!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Tarrant speaks the truth, SwiftKey is awesome.

Since BBM is supposed to be released for android today, can anyone who's familiar with it give us a basic overview? I'll probably give it a try if I can figure out which app on the store is actually BBM and not some scam app. Does BBM do anything that other messaging apps don't do, or does it do those things better in some way?

Df~_sl

shitlord
Anyone know how to load multiple versions or multiple installations of the same APK(different versions at the same time are ok) onto an android phone?

If I had the source of the apk, I could just rename all the package files and rebuild... but decompiling the APK, changing the package name and then rebuilding led to lots of errors. Anyone have a better solution?

I have access to the APK and older versions of the program. I would actually prefer if they do not use the same memory or folders... ...

Doing this on iOS is fairly simple... either through a script (application duplication) or by manually editing 4 lines and building a new ipa...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Swift Key is pretty awesome. Some of the autocorrects are off a bit, but for the most part it's pretty damn accurate. I can type on it at least as fast as I could on my old BB's, if not faster.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The white background with the 2d "flat" buttons and the overall "antiseptic" feel looks just like Outlook 2013 (flat buttons, flat icons, white background, thin font, minimalist framing/bordering) or the server manager console in Windows Server 2012. I'd even say that the new look is closer to Windows Phone 8 than it is to iOS6. I actually like the new IOS7 graphics, but it undeniably drew some of its inspiration from the aforementioned products.

Slightly off topic, but more and more employees where I work have been going out and purchasing Windows Phone 8 devices and I've been quite surprised just how good it is. We have one VIP that has held onto his ancient Blackberry 9700 for 5 years with a death grip, rejecting every other device we've had him try (Iphone, Galaxy, Tab) and he actually loves his Lumia 1020. If your company runs Exchange server it even gets better, as MS obviously held onto some activesync technology just for themselves, as its the only device that has full Outlook level meeting/calendar support as well as support for information rights management decryption. Being able to listen to protected work voicemail right from your inbox is pure gold.
I only had one for a couple weeks and had to give it to my friend and go back too the galaxy and i hate it. The most surprising thing to me is the keyboard is much better than ios/android easily

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
After a day or so of messing around with the new iOS I do hate it a little less. I wish there was a way to make the border at the top of safari smaller.

Knytestorme_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the opinions guys but have decided to go with the 5s after looking ath the screen size differential compared to the RAZR. It's pretty much same height and just slightly narrower so I don't think I'll have problems with it. Yeah I'd like a 4.3-4.6" screen size but I think the benefits of being able to easily sync my itunes songs for gym and share apps between the iphone and ipad will be worth it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's the consensus on the Nexus 4's amongst all of these new phones? I guess I'm really looking towards the Nexus 5, but since it hasn't been officially announced or released, how are Nexus 4's holding up?

Not interested in paying a company and extending my contract another 2 years, so I'm looking more to these types of phones? I hate my iPhone and never want another apple phone ever again.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's the consensus on the Nexus 4's amongst all of these new phones? I guess I'm really looking towards the Nexus 5, but since it hasn't been officially announced or released, how are Nexus 4's holding up?

Not interested in paying a company and extending my contract another 2 years, so I'm looking more to these types of phones? I hate my iPhone and never want another apple phone ever again.
And what type of plan/carrier are you going with instead?

Also, you might have to go used for a Nexus 4. Out of inventory currently and with the nexus 5 coming soon, who knows if the 4 is coming back.