Smartphones

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Get your credit cards ready gentlemen, the Nexus 5 is strongly rumoured to be releasedtodayalongside the 4.4 KitKat update

Google Nexus 5 arriving today, Android 4.4 probably in tow | News | TechRadar

We've been waiting for what feels like ages for the Google Nexus 5 and Android 4.4 KitKat update, but at last both are finally upon us.

Artem Russakovskii, who works for Android Police, announced on his Google+ page that the Nexus 5 would launch today after being tipped off by various sources.

He writes: "Several previously reliable sources have confirmed that the Nexus 5 (I have no information about KitKat, sorry, just sticking to N5) launch is indeed scheduled for tomorrow, October 31st."

We've been in touch with our own sources, and the general consensus is that yes, October 31 is the Nexus 5 release date, and Android 4.4 KitKat will be joining in the fun too.

Russakovskii goes on to say: "The release should happen no later than 11am Pacific, but knowing Google, it's probably going to be between 8-8:30 and 10am. 11am is the worst case scenario."

That 8am-10am time slot translates into 3pm-5pm GMT on October 31 and 2am-4am EST on November 1.

There is no mention of the new Nexus 10 tablet however, with Google's next slate looking increasingly unlikely to arrive at the same time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am a bit fed up with Verizon's high prices and restrictions on the Nexus devices. Couple that with their slow ass updates and I am seriously considering jumping ship. Right now I pay roughly $200 per month for 3 phones (that includes a 15% discount through work), and my other daughter is going to be added soon as well so my bill will be going up.

I was looking at TMobile and it would only cost me roughly $120-$150 for all 4 lines depending on how much data I get for the family. Now of course I have no idea how good the reception is around here, and especially in my house. AT&T doesn't work at all in our house, so I am curious to see how TMobile would work. I don't know anyone that has the service, so I can't test it in my house.

I am a bit torn on what to do, and how much I would have to pay to get out of the contract. Me and my wife's contract is up in December, but the other phone isn't up until May of 2015 I think. Also, would we even be able to bring our phones over to TMobile with us? 2 of the phones are relatively new so I really wouldn't want to buy new ones, but I may have to.

Not sure what to do...
No Verizon phone is going to work on TMO. You will definitely have to get new ones.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Verizon and Sprint are both inflexible about their phones going to other networks.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Verizon and Sprint are both inflexible about their phones going to other networks.
It's not really inflexibility, they use a different technology than ATT and TMO. The phones aren't compatible.

Siliconemelons

Your nexus 5 might be able to go from sprint <-> tmo/att, if it has the right antennae.
If its a "World Phone" it has a GSM antenna and if you check what all bands it has - if it has the same ones as T-Mobile or att then it will work- usually it works on their voice networks and sometimes EDGE data- but usually the 3g and 4g will not work.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
They are probably going to release it with an announcement today, take orders and start shipping tomorrow making the Nov 1st general sale accurate.

Considering that with the Nexus 4, they ran into lots of stock problems due to massive demand, I can see them doing the last minute announcement thing since it will sell like hotcakes anyway

Latest:Nexus 5 launching today at 6pm claims multiple sources - Pocket-lint

Multiple sources to multiple sites, including those taking to Pocket-lint, have confirmed the Nexus 5 will be announced today at around 11am Pacific time (6pm in the UK).

"After speaking with no less than five different sources with knowledge of the matter, I am ready to confirm that the LG-made Nexus 5 should be unveiled later on today, along with Android 4.4 KitKat, additional details of which were leaked last night by former WSJ reporter Amir Efrati," claims Artem Russakovskii at Android Police.

The phone, which is quickly becoming the latest worst kept secret, is already in Carphone Warehouse shops in the UK ready to go on sale in the UK tomorrow.

Pocket-lint's own trusted source says that quantities of the phone are now in at least one storeroom in the country, providing pictures of the packaging as proof. It is the same source that has been right many times in the past, so we have no reason to doubt the validity of the information.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is Google actually going to release this without any notice at all besides these "leaks?"
Google is fairly notorious for giving almost no advanced notice. When they had their Chromecast reveal/press conference, the device was available for purchase on their website by the time the press conference ended. I bought mine like 5 minutes after I got done watching online.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I am a bit fed up with Verizon's high prices and restrictions on the Nexus devices. Couple that with their slow ass updates and I am seriously considering jumping ship. Right now I pay roughly $200 per month for 3 phones (that includes a 15% discount through work), and my other daughter is going to be added soon as well so my bill will be going up.

I was looking at TMobile and it would only cost me roughly $120-$150 for all 4 lines depending on how much data I get for the family. Now of course I have no idea how good the reception is around here, and especially in my house. AT&T doesn't work at all in our house, so I am curious to see how TMobile would work. I don't know anyone that has the service, so I can't test it in my house.

I am a bit torn on what to do, and how much I would have to pay to get out of the contract. Me and my wife's contract is up in December, but the other phone isn't up until May of 2015 I think. Also, would we even be able to bring our phones over to TMobile with us? 2 of the phones are relatively new so I really wouldn't want to buy new ones, but I may have to.

Not sure what to do...
The ETF for Verizon per line is $300 minus $10 for each month of the contract you have fulfilled. Unfortunately your phones won't work on TMO but you can probably pretty easily sell them on eBay to recoup some of the loss.

When I switched 5 lines over, even paying ETF's on 2 of the lines and paying for five Nexus 4's I came out ahead on the deal in less than a year. Just have to be able to handle the large upfront cost.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I wasjustabout to buy one... then realized "Oh, right, Verizon is an asshole and isn't carrying it." Son of a bitch.