Smartphones

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I'm still on my Galaxy Nexus from last summer, and it works just fine for me other than being in need of speaker repair. The call quality has never been fantastic, but that's my only hardware complaint. Honestly, my biggest annoyances are all with the most recent Android updates. I fucking HATE all of the new lock screen bullshit, and I just want it gone. Half the time trying to unlock my phone ends up sending me to the camera or Google Now, and it freezes every now and then when I hang up calls. That never happened until the second 4.2 update.

ColourofSpace_sl

shitlord
I'm still on my Galaxy Nexus from last summer, and it works just fine for me other than being in need of speaker repair. The call quality has never been fantastic, but that's my only hardware complaint. Honestly, my biggest annoyances are all with the most recent Android updates. I fucking HATE all of the new lock screen bullshit, and I just want it gone. Half the time trying to unlock my phone ends up sending me to the camera or Google Now, and it freezes every now and then when I hang up calls. That never happened until the second 4.2 update.
I have been running 4.2 since AOKP integrated it into their nightlies (around 4 months). I have never once accidentally went to a different lock screen when trying to unlock the phone. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen to you, but I question "half the time". I don't think AOKP added any tweaks to the lock screen outside of a a few customization's.
You're doing something wrong; root your phone and flash a 4.1 rom.

Cor_sl

shitlord
I have been running 4.2 since AOKP integrated it into their nightlies (around 4 months). I have never once accidentally went to a different lock screen when trying to unlock the phone. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen to you, but I question "half the time". I don't think AOKP added any tweaks to the lock screen outside of a a few customization's.
You're doing something wrong; root your phone and flash a 4.1 rom.
Yeah, I've never had that problem either.

You don't need to go back to 4.1, btw. Just install this app -https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...keyguard&hl=en

No root required.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
That's helpful, Cor. Thanks. If I wanted access to all that stuff all the time, I just wouldn't lock my phone.

Cor_sl

shitlord
So, the UK pricing for the Galaxy 16gb S4 has just been unveiled. ?629.95 -http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...4?intcmp=HPS43. For comparisons sake, the S3 launched at ?470, the iPhone 5 launched at ?500, and the32gbHTC One is available for ?490. I was hoping smartphone prices would drop following the release of the Nexus 4, but it appears Samsung has other plans.

I really hope this damages sales. Phones are expensive enough - I don't want the other manufacturers following Samsung's lead by raising their prices.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's absolutely insane. That's equivalent to ~$950, which I don't think any phone has been even remotely close to? Is that a for sure official retail price or is that site just asking that much because they put it up first?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ended up going with the Galaxy Note 2. The wacom functionality is bonkers. Love it.
Same here! What have you added to your phone so far? I've grabbed Smart Audio book for my audio book management and it seems good enough (though I haven't found a way to sort by folders yet)

There seems to be quite a bit of AT&T and Samsung bloatware on there that I am just marking as hidden as I determine the uselesness of each. I have to say after having a 3GS for 3 (4?) years that Swype is the most amazing shit ever. Also my first battery charge occurred after 1day 15 hours of heavy Audio plus browsing on 4G +wifi. I don't know how good that is but my 3GS was so old it was cutting out at 69% battery life. I grabbed Easy Battery saver but I don't know how just to configure it yet so it is running on normal mode.

Went ahead an ordered an wireless charging kit and when it gets here if it works well I might grab a couple more wireless chargers. Still haven't decided if I want to root it or not. Also ++ for 64gb memory card and removable battery.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
People keep saying it but I have to agree, Swiftkey > Swype. They now even have Swype-style typing built in, plus a buncha options. Worth trying out at least I would say.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/article...e-att-2013.htm

"Those interested in purchasing a Galaxy S4 from AT&T will be able to do so beginning April 16, and the mobile carrier has confirmed that the Galaxy S4 release date will bring a device price of $249.99 with two-year service agreement. An actual shipping date will apparently be announced by AT&T sometime in the next few weeks."

People keep saying it but I have to agree, Swiftkey > Swype. They now even have Swype-style typing built in, plus a buncha options. Worth trying out at least I would say.
I picked up swiftkey a couple of years ago when Amazon had it as the free app of the day. I would buy it if I had to, worth the money. This is coming from someone who has never bought a single app.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Question: Anyone using the S Pen know how to use gestures without the button on the S pen? Preferably without rooting the phone just for this option?

incadenza_sl

shitlord
I went with the Samsung galaxy s2, and I'm pretty happy so far.

Can anyone suggest some good apps? I'm using buzz for a theme but feel pretty out of the loop. Last Android I had was a first gen Motorola droid.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Ummm.... pretty much go to the Play store, search "Google" and download everything made by "Google Inc."

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Same here! What have you added to your phone so far? I've grabbed Smart Audio book for my audio book management and it seems good enough (though I haven't found a way to sort by folders yet)

There seems to be quite a bit of AT&T and Samsung bloatware on there that I am just marking as hidden as I determine the uselesness of each. I have to say after having a 3GS for 3 (4?) years that Swype is the most amazing shit ever. Also my first battery charge occurred after 1day 15 hours of heavy Audio plus browsing on 4G +wifi. I don't know how good that is but my 3GS was so old it was cutting out at 69% battery life. I grabbed Easy Battery saver but I don't know how just to configure it yet so it is running on normal mode.

Went ahead an ordered an wireless charging kit and when it gets here if it works well I might grab a couple more wireless chargers. Still haven't decided if I want to root it or not. Also ++ for 64gb memory card and removable battery.
Honestly, aside from google music, I just added the autodesk sketchpro something or other and a few other drawing apps. I just wish the screen was a bit bigger. Now I want to get ahttp://www.wacom.com/products/pen-di...iq/cintiq-22hd

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Also thinking about the HTC One. I'm eligible for an upgrade on Sprint, and when I called our corporate Sprint rep today and asked about the Galaxy S4, he said that Sprint probably wouldn't have it until "late summer". Fuck.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Welp, the HTC One is available for pre-order this Friday and on sale the 19th. I'll be pre-ordering.
Still no official announcement made on if this will be available on Verizon (at least to my knowledge). So looks like I am going to have to wait for the S4.