Smartphones

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My wife and I both made the switch from older droids to the iPhone 5s and we both love it.

We expect to have these phones for a couple years and so the faster processor will make a difference when the phone is over a year old.

The finger print scanner is convenience only, but it is nice. Along the lines of the slo motion camera. Both just unnecessary things, but the nicer camera is good.

I feel like everything that the iPhone has can be done on android but many things I feel are just simpler on the iPhone. This is entirely subjective to how each person uses there phone.

I will say the iPhone keyboard is by far better than anything I've ever used. It beats swift key on android by leaps and bounds it's so good. There's a reason those iPhone mistext websites exist because it's auto correct is so good that when it makes a mistake you don't even realize until after you hit send.

If not for the iPhone I would probably be going with the Sony Xperia z1 mini as I don't want a huge phablet screen.

crimsonsin_sl

shitlord
I will say the iPhone keyboard is by far better than anything I've ever used. It beats swift key on android by leaps and bounds it's so good. There's a reason those iPhone mistext websites exist because it's auto correct is so good that when it makes a mistake you don't even realize until after you hit send.
Maybe if you have tiny ass hands, I never understood how people text on iphones. That and the outright refusal by apple to remotely have anything like swipe when the default android keyboard has it straight from the market.

Crone

Maybe if you have tiny ass hands, I never understood how people text on iphones. That and the outright refusal by apple to remotely have anything like swipe when the default android keyboard has it straight from the market.
I've got huge hands, and I do just fine. Again, best keyboard auto correct and typing experience I've ever had.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I've got huge hands, and I do just fine. Again, best keyboard auto correct and typing experience I've ever had.
That award goes to the Nokia Lumia 920, for me. It's just unfortunate that app support on windows phone is utter dogshit, because Nokia makes damn fine hardware.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Screen just cracked on my Nexus 5. Never been dropped or crushed or anything, is in pristine condition. Laid it down on my desk and came back to it like an hour later and it's cracked diagonal across the whole screen. Pretty goddamn salty right now.

Anyone ever RMAd a device back to Google? They are sending me a new phone, but are putting a hold on my CC for the price of it until they can determine if my broken was was user error or whatever. Kinda feels like I'm just gonna be buying a new phone here -_-

Vaclav

All the companies I've dealt with doing similar "pay full and we'll refund it when it checks out" have been very reasonable with it - and Google's got a better rep than anyone for such things from everything I gather. Pretty sure you'll be fine, just you'll have to have the hold looming in the back of your mind a bit.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Screen just cracked on my Nexus 5. Never been dropped or crushed or anything, is in pristine condition. Laid it down on my desk and came back to it like an hour later and it's cracked diagonal across the whole screen. Pretty goddamn salty right now.

Anyone ever RMAd a device back to Google? They are sending me a new phone, but are putting a hold on my CC for the price of it until they can determine if my broken was was user error or whatever. Kinda feels like I'm just gonna be buying a new phone here -_-
My Samsung Galaxy S4 basically did the same thing, picked it up off my desk one day and the screen looked like it was completely cracked, just garbled colors along what looked like a crack line in the middle of the device. Odd thing was, it was all 100% internal, you couldn't feel a single blemish or mark on the external glass. It's like it just cracked from the inside out. Never did figure out what the hell caused it, I had only owned it for about 6 months at that point.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
With me switching to Tmobile soon, I have been looking around for which phone I should pick up. I have the S4 now, but really want a Nexus device. Is there any timeline for the next Google Nexus device? I am torn between waiting a bit longer to see if any new phones are on the horizon, or trading them in now and getting as much money back for them as possible. I know the S5 is supposedly going to be coming in May, but I am not terribly interested in it anyways. I like my S4 just fine, but all of the "extras" are things that I just don't care much about. I really want the Nexus device so I can avoid having all this extra crap on my phone that I never use and can't remove.

How is the battery life of the Nexus 5? I loved my Galaxy Nexus, but to me the biggest drawback was the battery life on it sucked ass. I had to have a charger at work to charge it at some point during the day. I rarely ever made it through the day on a single charge.

Really open to any other suggestions for phones as well.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're on the wrong end of yearly product cycle. The N5 came out in November.

Battery life has been great for mine so far. Granted, I probably use mine MUCH less than other people and I shut off the cell radio when I'm at home. But, I didn't need to charge it over the weekend and that includes about an hour of VOIP calling. It was at ~60% when I woke up this morning.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
You're on the wrong end of yearly product cycle. The N5 came out in November.
Yeah, that is why I am a bit torn on what I want to do. My wife has the iPhone 5 and is really not at all excited about the rumors of the iPhone 6 being so much bigger. She hates the size of my phone, so getting her the 5s is fine. I will probably just get the N5 now anyways, and just but the next one when it comes out anyways.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I got into the cycle at the "wrong" time. It's still cheaper than continuing to pay VZW, but I plan to buy new phones only when the current Nexus line get discounted to move inventory in preparation for the refresh.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I"m tempted to switch to T-Mobile, but from what I've read, their coverage isn't so good inside buildings due to the spectrum they use?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
As someone who owns both a 5S and a Note 3 I don't get this at all. Swift Key can pretty much have a conversation on it's own with me just hitting the next work it already guessed. I have 4 years of training in my Swift Key (with it being linked to my email, facebook and other media) and it's down right creepy at times how it will predict an entire conversation word by word.

On that same note, I hate typing on my iphone. It's auto correct is good which is good because I constantly hit three keys at the same time when typing on it. I have to go back and auto fix words myself about 10-15% of the time I'd guess.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I"m tempted to switch to T-Mobile, but from what I've read, their coverage isn't so good inside buildings due to the spectrum they use?
Correct, they are in the range of 1700 and 2100 if I remember correctly so it doesn't really penetrate buildings very well. (lower frequency the better, for example Verizon uses 700 for heavy urban areas and Sprints old iDen 800 frequency will be theirs when Spark rolls out)

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yes, that has been my experience. I suppose in theory it could be my phone (Nexus 4) and not the network, but I am pretty convinced that TMO has terrible building penetration.