Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, you stupid fuck.. yes your heart rate increases. What I am saying is that the algorithms used in those fitness watches / trackers are based onsteady state cardio. Weight lifting is NOT cardio and sure as shit is not steady state. This is purely for the accuracy of the calorie burn calculated on these devices.

I absolutely agree that weight lifting is hugely important in weight loss. The issue here is that people that are calorie counting can not strap one of these up, do their weight routine and assume they burned X calories reported by their devices.

You Asked: How Many Calories Does Strength Training Burn? | SparkPeople

'Can I Measure Calories Burned during Strength Training with a Heart Rate Monitor?' | SparkPeople

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No, you stupid fuck.. yes your heart rate increases. What I am saying is that the algorithms used in those fitness watches / trackers are based onsteady state cardio. Weight lifting is NOT cardio and sure as shit is not steady state. This is purely for the accuracy of the calorie burn calculated on these devices.

I absolutely agree that weight lifting is hugely important in weight loss. The issue here is that people that are calorie counting can not strap one of these up, do their weight routine and assume they burned X calories reported by their devices.

You Asked: How Many Calories Does Strength Training Burn? | SparkPeople

'Can I Measure Calories Burned during Strength Training with a Heart Rate Monitor?' | SparkPeople
Don't be a nerd... Stop posting shit from Lumie's blog.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Don't be a nerd... Stop posting shit from Lumie's blog.
You're so wrong, it's astonishing, and yet you're calling people out? GTFO already. Using a HR monitor on a wrist watch to measure exertion while lifting is not going to be very accurate. That's what he said. He's right. Move on.

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You're so wrong, it's astonishing, and yet you're calling people out? GTFO already. Using a HR monitor on a wrist watch to measure exertion while lifting is not going to be very accurate. That's what he said. He's right. Move on.
Do you even read?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't understand... it looks like a pared down version of a good smartwatch that you have to pick the functionality for based on the size of your friggin wrist. Really, really stupid idea.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's gonna suck when you go "where the fuck my watch go?" cuz you keep on pushing those links in and out day after day. Anyone ever change a metal link on a watch? you gotta use force and push that rod out. These link rods look like Duplo's, break in 2 weeks.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I really dont think the market is interested in something physically complex. The idea is to have a powerful device that's retardedly simple to use and wear.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It's gonna suck when you go "where the fuck my watch go?" cuz you keep on pushing those links in and out day after day. Anyone ever change a metal link on a watch? you gotta use force and push that rod out. These link rods look like Duplo's, break in 2 weeks.
Entirely possible. I'll let you know when I get mine.

And yeah, Agraza, you're probably right, but "the market" on this Kickstarter has responded fairly well. They're overfunded by nearly $1 million.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well I wish them luck, but I think it's one of those "just to be different" niche products.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Again, very possible. What interests me is how the progression of modules will work out. If you're going to be limited to 4 functions no matter what, that'll be a bit dicey for future expansion, but I doubt it'll stop there. The Pebble started out very, very limited, and it's growing nicely at this point.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Thought better of it and canceled the pledge. I think what ended up bothering me more than anything else was the fact that it looks like a kid's toy once it's put together.

I'm gonna follow the project anyway and see what ends up happening. I think that the 1st gen Pebble experience (vs. what they have out there now) has taught me that the smartwatch community will demand better in terms of looks, and that v2 or v3 will almost certainly look a lot better. e.g. Pebble Time Round.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thought better of it and canceled the pledge. I think what ended up bothering me more than anything else was the fact that it looks like a kid's toy once it's put together.

I'm gonna follow the project anyway and see what ends up happening. I think that the 1st gen Pebble experience (vs. what they have out there now) has taught me that the smartwatch community will demand better in terms of looks, and that v2 or v3 will almost certainly look a lot better. e.g. Pebble Time Round.
I doubt this product will have a V2 considering how many awesome sounding projects end up in failure. This is just gonna be another HealBe GoBe.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The GoBe is proven bullshit at this point. This thing hasn't left the gates yet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
isn't the Pebble Time Round an app failure, cuz well the lcd is round and doesn't work for shit w/ apps cuz they all use the standard square measurement lcd watchface? they shoulda just put a square lcd in that round frame, how hard is that? also no idea why this round ver only lasts 48hours, i could eak out almost 7days on my v1

(either way, i haven't kept up w/ pebble news since i got my v1 and it updates OTA flawlessly and does the basics of what i need)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
The battery is way smaller, yep. I wouldn't call it an app failure, no. I'd say that some of the apps from the other Pebbles won't work on the Round, which means that apps will need to be redesigned. It happens.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Girlfriend and I bought a pair of Misfit Flashes back in august. Great little fitness/sleep tracker. Uses its LED face as a very simple analog clock, has a CMOS battery for power which lasts for 6+ monthes rather then needing recharging. Best of all only 30$, 15$ upcoming on black friday. The higher end Shine model is mediocre in comparison, its aluminum rather then plastic and scratches easily, it also has a much worse mounting system into the bands pressing into the front leading to it falling out. The flash mounts from behind so it can't fall off while being worn.

The Misfit app is also being vastly improved, you can now use clicking the display 1-3 times to have actions done on your phone.

Shine 2 just came out, looks like the improvements of the Flash with the nicer metal of the Shine, it also has vibration for additional capabilities like silent alarm, etc.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has much changed in this space? Recently started working with a guy that has the Samsung, and it's pretty nice how it obviously connects to his phone to give him alerts. Having also recently gotten the Note 5, I'd love not having to pull that thing outta my pocket all the time.

Anyone keeping up to date on Smart watches?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Has much changed in this space? Recently started working with a guy that has the Samsung, and it's pretty nice how it obviously connects to his phone to give him alerts. Having also recently gotten the Note 5, I'd love not having to pull that thing outta my pocket all the time.

Anyone keeping up to date on Smart watches?
still rockin my pebble 1, works great. It buzzes, i check a txt, email or phone call. It now can do step(pedometer) decent enough(when i first got it, hardware was there but apps weren't, now they are, so that's cool on going support).

Of course the only nagging thing about it, is it's plastic, i do have a metal band to make it less dorky looking, but this could easily be remedied by buying the new metal versions, would i get another pebble over the other smart watches? I guess, I don't really see a reason to switch.