Smartwatches / Fitness Trackers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
I still use my apple watch every day. I typically sleep with it as well, and will take it off to charge while I go to make breakfast or when I first sit at my desk. Battery life has been pretty awesome on it (unless you are comparing it to a pebble), and it does charge really quick.

I'm pretty OCD about hitting the fitness goals on it now too.

It's at the point where I feel weird on the days I forget to wear it.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I still use my apple watch every day. I typically sleep with it as well, and will take it off to charge while I go to make breakfast or when I first sit at my desk. Battery life has been pretty awesome on it (unless you are comparing it to a pebble), and it does charge really quick.

I'm pretty OCD about hitting the fitness goals on it now too.

It's at the point where I feel weird on the days I forget to wear it.
Yea, my pebble is on literally 23.999/7 it fully charges in like 10mins for a week and it's just on, i don't take it off really. My phones been on mute for a year, and the odd times i have the pebble off, the vibration shakes the whole table to let me know.

There are the odd pairing issues, i'll admit, once every 6 months the pebble will just not connect, i don't know if it's cuz i have other BT things like speaker and headset connected to phone or what.

Siliconemelons

Late 2016 release Pebble 2/Time 2/core
alert icon
I would upgrade my steel to a time 2, mostly for the screen size increase- the tracker stuff I am not interested in that much - I enjoy charging my watch only once a week or more - wife has he apple watch on the charger every night.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
For those that care, Apple announced watchOS 3. I've got the first dev build on mine and it's running significantly faster.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Let's start this up again, since it proved to be reasonably popular.

Anyone buy in to the latest Pebble kickstarter? I have the Time Round and am still wearing it a year later, but its battery life is a bit of a killjoy compared to the others in their offering. And it sucks for health/step tracking. I'm hoping their newer products are better for that, but I somehow doubt it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I received a Fitbit Blaze as a gift a couple of months ago. I like it, since I haven't had a legitimate watch in close to 8 years since my cellphone can do all that. It can receive texts, but you can't respond to them. Tracks heart rate, steps, floors climbed, "calories burnes" which I'm sure is inaccurate, and can also track sleep if you wear it while asleep. Has built in exercises to reach goals, and other things.

The cons, I find, are the band is a rubber like product, so if you sweat it stays between band and skin. The first month or so of wearing it, it actually hurt my wrist, since the back is upraised at the HR monitor, not completely smooth. If I try to sleep with it on, it gets pushed up towards my elbow and cuts off circulation to my hand.

Obviously, replacement bands are readily available. Oh, and battery life is really good, lasts around 3-4 days, and sends an email to me to remind me that it's low.

Varrus

Trakanon Raider
My Microsoft band 2.0 is super comfortable, I hardly notice the rubbery texture as its smooth ... oh and it has a pretty sweet clasp. I have tried so many with flimsy buckle designs.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My Microsoft band 2.0 is super comfortable, I hardly notice the rubbery texture as its smooth ... oh and it has a pretty sweet clasp. I have tried so many with flimsy buckle designs.

I've had the band 2 for a while now. I'd echo everything you said. I really like it and have had no problems with it at all.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Samsung deal going on right now if you get the new Note 7, you also get their Samsung Gear Fit 2 or whatever. Should be plenty new fitness trackers/smart watches entering the market with that deal going on.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The strap has split twice on a colleagues MS Band 2.

The claps broke after 7 months on my MS Band 1 and MS refuse to replace it.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I got a fitbit flex from work since they pay us for our healthmiles. The sleep thing is frustrating because it really highlights that I don't get enough sleep. Fuck. I hate looking at the dashboard and not seeing an appropriate amount of sleep, it's like staring you in the face all day.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
My girlfriend and I used a pair of misfit flashes for quite a while. They're pretty fantastic for the price. No recharging, so you leave it on 24/7. Has a barebones watch which is really clean and a nice feature for the price range.

I got a Samsung gear s2 in the fall, I would
not have bought it, but I had a 100$ off any item from Samsung's store when I signed up for Samsung pay. At 149 I was onboard. Its nice, not life changing, on days I forget to wear it, it doesn't effect me in the least outside of loss of pedometer.

I won't go as far as calling them gimicky, but there is still no must have feature for smartwatches that makes them a must have part of day to day life.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
No recharging? As in, it has a single battery that becomes useless after some lengthy period of time, or?

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
It uses a standard cr2032 cmos battery that lasts 6 months. By far the best part of it, kept it on 24/7 showering included.

Misfit Flash

If you just want a basic fitness tracker they're fantastic.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Might keep that in mind for the day my Fitbit One dies. It's over a year old and the mean lifetime of these things is garbage, so I'm expecting it to drop dead any day now.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I would look at any of their model range except the original Misfit Shine. The aluminum housing has a tendency to scratch and the electronic unit presses into the watch band from the front so it can fall out. Starting with the Flash and all newer models it presses in from behind, so while being worn the unit can't fall out.

Dexz

Golden Squire
I had a Samsung Gear 2, it was nice had a great speaker phone, nice touch response and over all easy to use. However the battery life and the Tizen OS soon turned me off to the device. If i had to buy another it would be Android Wear based.