SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
someonehad to be the brains behind the "Its sooo metal" campaign they had for a while. Here is one small example from said campaign...

Wanna get Metal? Shred with SOE's second Dragon's Prophet #SUPERMETAL Video: "Living Metal!" The secret to being truly metal is obviously more dragons. Released today, this all-new video teaches players how to be as metal as possible and rock the skies with the most hardcore of hardcore dragons from Dragon's Prophet. Rock out to the video on YouTube here to learn tips on how to improve your metal lifestyle. #SuperMetal dragons will soon be taking over Seattle; Dragon's Prophet will be at PAX Prime 2013! Fans can stop by booth #3336 during expo hours to play the game, chat with developers and win swag! Dragon's Prophet will be launching September 18, 2013 and is currently in Open Beta. The game is playable for free here:Dragons Prophet - Register.
I mean, someone on the SoE payroll thought up this campaign, someone else approved it, and someone else wrote this, a supervisor edited and approved it, there is a whole chain of people that need to be fired if they haven't already been.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
That was just the worst, lol. Their trailers are always so awful, too. PlanetSide 2 had a proper, bad ass CG one but that's about it. I bet they've barely made back what it cost to make, too.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
someonehad to be the brains behind the "Its sooo metal" campaign they had for a while. Here is one small example from said campaign...

I mean, someone on the SoE payroll thought up this campaign, someone else approved it, and someone else wrote this, a supervisor edited and approved it, there is a whole chain of people that need to be fired if they haven't already been.
They keep using that word "metal" I don't think they know what it means.

rrr_img_90569.jpg

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
As a former Everquest player, the "Everquest girls" ads make me cringe.

As a former Marine, this is way, way worse.

Would have been a cool EQ commercial though rofl

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I post neg bait and you fuckers only drop me one point? FUCK.

Anyways, we all know this ship is going to explode. However, they've got a job posting for a systems admin. I am tempted to send my resume just to watch the shit first hand.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Is there enough people playing those old games to generate any momentum? I mean the gaming community at large has really forgotten those games or never knew they existed.
Not really big picture but i'm just talking about it from their perspective. You have this company, it's idle at best, and if you want to get a little excitement and make it appear like you actually know what you have now, they need to do something.

I was just thinking, EQ and EQII just released expansion in November I believe and i'm not sure anyone even knew it. However, you throw a progression or classic server you may generate a little excitement. A heartbeat sure is better than being dead. Right now, their name (being Everquest) is garnering no attention what so ever to their investment or is it going to in the near future.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Not really big picture but i'm just talking about it from their perspective. You have this company, it's idle at best, and if you want to get a little excitement and make it appear like you actually know what you have now, they need to do something.

I was just thinking, EQ and EQII just released expansion in November I believe and i'm not sure anyone even knew it. However, you throw a progression or classic server you may generate a little excitement. A heartbeat sure is better than being dead. Right now, their name (being Everquest) is garnering no attention what so ever to their investment or is it going to in the near future.
If EQ2s population is as low as it's assumed and in danger of being shuttered, what would they have to lose my doing the combat revamp and skill reduction and possibly regaining some players. More left due to the shitty combat and hotbar bloat than stayed to play it. Seems like if they want to actually grow their games, they have to address these long standing issues to bring people back to them.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The last progression server was great, I hope they do another. They get some buzz on a ton of sites and get a bit of cash for little work since the tlp system is already set.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
If Sony were a good company, which they are not, they would replicate what Square-Enix did with FFXIV. They would run parallel storylines in EQ and EQ2, that culminate with an "end of the world" type event. This would be done to launch a sort of EverQuest reborn, which would effectively be your EverQuest 3. This would make great business sense, since obviously supporting one game is much easier as supporting three, and would be the most customer friendly way to close the last two relics they've systematically run into the ground. It would be a lot of short term work, but would inevitably make more sense strategically over the long term.

The problem is, something like that would never happen.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
SE still runs FF11, you can make the arguement for shutting down EQ2 but they've invested far too much in EQ to randomly pull the plug.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
SE still runs FF11, you can make the arguement for shutting down EQ2 but they've invested far too much in EQ to randomly pull the plug.
They should have released the "improved EQ" version of EQ3 and then sold EQ and EQ2 as a stand alone game allowing peeps to setup their own private servers a la NWN.

Not Rocket Science.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
How much they invested to this point is completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is revenue generated verses expenditure along with where they are trending. I would be willing to bet EQ has been trending down for alongwhile (with a little bump from F2P). If that's the case you have to look at transitioning those customers to a new product with better support, or you're going to lose them. This would be a strategic, forward looking decision, something that SOE never really seems to consider. SE has that, FFXI -> FFXIV (both good games, with the latter have growth potential) and SOE does not (EQ & EQ2 are both crap now).