Sports Figures Who Break The Law

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think the double standard has more to do with the amount of scrutiny an organization with as much exposure as the nfl faces vs an organization like women's soccer which no one watches when it isn't world cup.
Oh I guess she never intended to be a role model so it's OK then. I mean, not that DV charges wouldn't get you fired from most jobs or anything.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I don't know where you are getting I'm suggesting it's okay for Hope Solo to do what she did and not be admonished for it. I'm speaking about the "double standard". Let's not forget that Ray Rice was getting a wrist slap until the video surfaced and the media took the NFL to task.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh I guess she never intended to be a role model so it's OK then. I mean, not that DV charges wouldn't get you fired from most jobs or anything.
the hope solo thing is different because the situation was different, here we have an oversized man full of adreniline nut busting a 4 year old with a tree branch willingly and then we have a couple of drunk bitches tussling with each other and the nephew tries to break up the fight gets backhanded. which one should i take seriously?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I find if pretty fucked up how your place of employment gets into your private business. For example my place of employment can fire me if I get a DUI. It says so in the handbook. How fucked up is that?

I can see it from their point of view, not wanting some irresponsible loser to work for them, and a DUI is a pretty irresponsible thing to do. But everyone makes mistakes and I feel that this shit is getting too much into your personal shit.

If I got to work and do my job, do it well, and cause no problems, what business of theirs is it that I get fucked up one night and get a DUI (Or any other thing like domestic violence)? Isnt that what we have courts and civil punishment for? The only reason I could see getting fired for is If I missed extended periods of time from work because of courts and jail or some shit like that and did not have any vacation time left. and this obviously applies to the NFL or any other place of employment.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Antoine Walker made $110 million in his career. Allen Iverson made over $200 million. Both are now in debt for 7 figures.

It's not just that they spend money like they'll be making $15 mil a year for their entire lives, but they get these huge entourages (50 people in Iverson's case) that drain their money as fast as they make it.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I find if pretty fucked up how your place of employment gets into your private business. For example my place of employment can fire me if I get a DUI. It says so in the handbook. How fucked up is that?

I can see it from their point of view, not wanting some irresponsible loser to work for them, and a DUI is a pretty irresponsible thing to do. But everyone makes mistakes and I feel that this shit is getting too much into your personal shit.

If I got to work and do my job, do it well, and cause no problems, what business of theirs is it that I get fucked up one night and get a DUI (Or any other thing like domestic violence)? Isnt that what we have courts and civil punishment for? The only reason I could see getting fired for is If I missed extended periods of time from work because of courts and jail or some shit like that and did not have any vacation time left. and this obviously applies to the NFL or any other place of employment.
Do you do a job where you use any kind of machinery or have to ever do any kind of driving or traveling for work? All that stuff is affected by a DUI for insurance and safety.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
As far as DUI's go, that would pretty much be an insta-fire for my company, because many of our guys have to drive company vehicles or travel to job sites that are not transit accessible. If the employee is an otherwise good one, then maybe an exception can be made depending on circumstances, but that's a pretty huge knock against someone.

If I found out one of my guys got arrested and charged for beating the shit out of his wife? Yeah, I'd have a hard time hanging on to him. First because of the personal distaste I would have for it, second because of the potential impact on my company's reputation ("hey, I heard your site supervisor put his wife in the hospital, is that true?"), and third because that obviously means the guy has serious issues and it's only a matter of time until something else comes along.

Nester_sl said:
I don't understand why its a NFL or NBA issue and not just a police/jail issue.
For professional athletes, they are public figures. Keeping their lives together is part and parcel of being an athlete. If you can't manage that, then yes, don't be surprised when you're out on your ass because your team doesn't want to be associated with your radioactive public persona.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I read this thread title as "sports figurines who break the law" and now I sort of wish that was a thing.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
As far as DUI's go, that would pretty much be an insta-fire for my company, because many of our guys have to drive company vehicles or travel to job sites that are not transit accessible. If the employee is an otherwise good one, then maybe an exception can be made depending on circumstances, but that's a pretty huge knock against someone.

If I found out one of my guys got arrested and charged for beating the shit out of his wife? Yeah, I'd have a hard time hanging on to him. First because of the personal distaste I would have for it, second because of the potential impact on my company's reputation ("hey, I heard your site supervisor put his wife in the hospital, is that true?"), and third because that obviously means the guy has serious issues and it's only a matter of time until something else comes along.

For professional athletes, they are public figures. Keeping their lives together is part and parcel of being an athlete. If you can't manage that, then yes, don't be surprised when you're out on your ass because your team doesn't want to be associated with your radioactive public persona.
The guy who slugged the wife on video is one thing, but a great number of DV cases are he-said she-said, and there's no real visible injury or the injury was just reddened skin/scratches etc. Obviously if he puts the wife in the hospital, there's no doubt something happened. But I worked a lot of DV cases where the wife claimed the husband threatened her with a knife, but no injuries and no evidence... etc... being "accused" of something like that is more or less meaningless. Convicted? Yes.

I'd be cautious about firing people just on the accusation.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The guy who slugged the wife on video is one thing, but a great number of DV cases are he-said she-said, and there's no real visible injury or the injury was just reddened skin/scratches etc. Obviously if he puts the wife in the hospital, there's no doubt something happened. But I worked a lot of DV cases where the wife claimed the husband threatened her with a knife, but no injuries and no evidence... etc... being "accused" of something like that is more or less meaningless. Convicted? Yes.

I'd be cautious about firing people just on the accusation.
Yup, the details of the case matter, for sure. Unfortunately this whole Ray Rice thing and the way it has been mishandled is likely to lead to huge overreactions in future cases. I think of the Semyon Varlamov shit, for example, where you really have no idea what truly happened. One second you're hearing he beat the shit out of her and she's bruised as all fuck from being drop kicked and thrown down stairs, next they're dropping the case:Semyon Varlamov's domestic violence case dropped - NHL on CBC Sports - Hockey news, opinion, scores, stats, standings

I do believe the whole "I'd have beaten you even more, if we were in Russia" part though. That just makes sense.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Do you do a job where you use any kind of machinery or have to ever do any kind of driving or traveling for work? All that stuff is affected by a DUI for insurance and safety.
No, and No. I sit on my ass all day long on the computer. The only driving I do is with my desk chair.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Yeah, but that shit is a slippery slope. I mean where do you stop with that prying into personal shit? "Hey I heard one of your job site supervisors fucked someone elses old lady". Or "Hey I heard your supervisor kicked his dog!" Yeah there is a difference there, but again, that shit is a slippery slope.

If someone asked me a question like that I would of said, "I will let the courts decide his punishment, its none of my business. As far as I know he does his job well, he comes in on time and he never posed a problem at work. If I had to fire every single person which allegedly gets in trouble with the law at one point or another, I would not have any workers.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah, but that shit is a slippery slope. I mean where do you stop with that prying into personal shit? "Hey I heard one of your job site supervisors fucked someone elses old lady". Or "Hey I heard your supervisor kicked his dog!" Yeah there is a difference there, but again, that shit is a slippery slope.

If someone asked me a question like that I would of said, "I will let the courts decide his punishment, its none of my business. As far as I know he does his job well, he comes in on time and he never posed a problem at work. If I had to fire every single person which allegedly gets in trouble with the law at one point or another, I would not have any workers.
Unfortunately it's not always that simple. Even if there are no particular issues (IE sensitive information, money, heavy machinery, whatever), having a non-threatening workplace is important. As an employer you can be equally liable if you should know but choose not to separate from someone with a recent display of violent tendencies if they were to turn around and attack someone in your office. Luckily, most of the time if someone is actually arrested for a violent crime, they probably aren't coming back to the office before you have to replace them so it isn't an issue. Other times, though, you have to rely on a pattern of behavior, behavior that might go unnoticed without more scrutiny stemming from rumors or statements made that aren't damning by themselves.

Example, I had an employee awhile back where someone told me they heard him throw his bag against the wall in the bathroom and then spout out some things. Then the supervisor noticed he'd get up from his desk and shove his chair hard into the desk sometimes, muttering under his breath. People started to notice some of his jokes were less funny and more unsettling. Finally he flipped a table over in the break room one day when upset and swore, kicking it.

Outside of listening to those tips, the table incident could have been played off as an accident or a bad day. Add it with all the other indicators and bam, there's someone who could have easily taken out his rage on a coworker and gotten us sued. Without identifying and documenting that behavior, all from a tip from outside of work, we would have basically had to believe his story and who knows? Probably nothing, but you never know with types like that.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Its the Internet age. People these days get fired for having a poor credit score.

The fact is that you're nothing but a number on a balance sheet to companies and if they get information that you're at a higher than average risk of doing something that could cost them a lot more money than they make off you, you're out. That's why Paterno and Sandusky got to rape kids and everyone ignored it, if you're making them millions they don't care. If you only represent a few thousand in profit to the company it won't take much for them to fire you.

The NFL didn't care about the DV until the media got involved and made the players a liability. Sports figures are much better off than the average person when it comes to keeping their job through personal problems, simply because they're worth more.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Why people give the NFL and NBA money is something that I will probably never understand.

I was never into sports, nor was my father or my grandfathers. One grandfather liked to watch Indy Car Races. That's as close as it got. And to be fair, those are pretty neat little cars.
Cant +1 you. Rustles my jimmies how fucking apeshit people go over sports.

Cant name the fucking vice president but can name every starting QB for their favorite team for the past 10 decades. It really embodies everything that is wrong with America today.