Sports writer kills himself, leaves behind website describing how and why

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its like this. Once upon a time I was addicted to FFXI. I had this idea that I was going to not only max out fishing but complete the quest for the LuShang's rod which required catching 10k of these fucking .01% drop rate trash fish or some shit. That's actually not the important part. I maxed out fishing in EQ and WoW too, and even got the Salty title in WoW which was pretty hardcore considering how boring fishing was, and it was boring in EQ and FFXI too. Which is sort of the point too.

Fishing IRL is actually very boring as well to many people. But what I'm getting at is that once upon a time I was fishing in FFXI and my mother in law was visiting. I'm playing this stupidly elaborate fishing minigame, it wasn't like EQ or WoW, you had to really watch the fucking rod and respond to what it was doing. Not only could you lose your bite or catch but you could break your rod. And rods that got good returns on those .01% drop rate fish were fucking expensive to buy or make. I did actually find one decent but not great rod that sold well broken for people learning woodcrafting or some shit. So I would break a ton of those things and then when my bags were full gate to list them on the AH, buy a bunch more of the fixed version and go back to fish more. I never did finish that fucking quest. Most people who did botted. But I was trying to be hardcore and end up telling the FFXI fishing message board people how I got my LuShang's with 100% manual casts.

Where was I?

Oh yeah, so my ex mother in law says "you're fishing in a video game?" After I had been sitting there doing this boring tedious looking (looked that way because it was) shit for like a half hour. Obviously well prepared to go as long as I could before we went out to eat or whatever dumb shit we ended up doing. But that statement kind of hit me. I'm playing a fucking video game but I'm not killing monsters, or blowing shit up, or making cool things happen on the screen. I'm fucking fishing. What?

Now, was that fishing more or less real/manufactured than going half a mile down the road to the artificial lake where people fish every day? Was playing FFXI more or less manufactured than going out to eat with my family? Is watching a running back score a TD more or less manufactured than seeing how fast you can go out side and run 100 yards on grass? Is Dumar bagging a summit more or less manufactured than ironically watching K2: The Savage Mountain on YouTube while you smoke weed and drink PBR?

Serious questions, I'm not saying you can't disagree.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Its like this. Once upon a time I was addicted to FFXI. I had this idea that I was going to not only max out fishing but complete the quest for the LuShang's rod which required catching 10k of these fucking .01% drop rate trash fish or some shit. That's actually not the important part. I maxed out fishing in EQ and WoW too, and even got the Salty title in WoW which was pretty hardcore considering how boring fishing was, and it was boring in EQ and FFXI too. Which is sort of the point too.

Fishing IRL is actually very boring as well to many people. But what I'm getting at is that once upon a time I was fishing in FFXI and my mother in law was visiting. I'm playing this stupidly elaborate fishing minigame, it wasn't like EQ or WoW, you had to really watch the fucking rod and respond to what it was doing. Not only could you lose your bite or catch but you could break your rod. And rods that got good returns on those .01% drop rate fish were fucking expensive to buy or make. I did actually find one decent but not great rod that sold well broken for people learning woodcrafting or some shit. So I would break a ton of those things and then when my bags were full gate to list them on the AH, buy a bunch more of the fixed version and go back to fish more. I never did finish that fucking quest. Most people who did botted. But I was trying to be hardcore and end up telling the FFXI fishing message board people how I got my LuShang's with 100% manual casts.

Where was I?

Oh yeah, so my ex mother in law says "you're fishing in a video game?" After I had been sitting there doing this boring tedious looking (looked that way because it was) shit for like a half hour. Obviously well prepared to go as long as I could before we went out to eat or whatever dumb shit we ended up doing. But that statement kind of hit me. I'm playing a fucking video game but I'm not killing monsters, or blowing shit up, or making cool things happen on the screen. I'm fucking fishing. What?

Now, was that fishing more or less real/manufactured than going half a mile down the road to the artificial lake where people fish every day? Was playing FFXI more or less manufactured than going out to eat with my family? Is watching a running back score a TD more or less manufactured than seeing how fast you can go out side and run 100 yards on grass? Is Dumar bagging a summit more or less manufactured than ironically watching K2: The Savage Mountain on YouTube while you smoke weed and drink PBR?

Serious questions, I'm not saying you can't disagree.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Didn't Dumar just say he's bagged one of the seven summits? Shit that's a greater individual (really even general) accomplishment than probably 90% of this board or the public will ever manage.
Not if it was Mount Kosciuszko. Shit, even Kilimanjaro is basically a moderately difficult hike and with most tour companies you have porters to carry your shit. 95% of the people who attempt it make it to the top, and youknowthere's a lot of old, out of shape, woefully unprepared people who try it:http://www.gadventures.com/faqs/kilimanjaro-trek/

Any of the others, then sure, that's a pretty significant accomplishment.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not if it was Mount Kosciuszko. Shit, even Kilimanjaro is basically a moderately difficult hike and with most tour companies you have porters to carry your shit. 95% of the people who attempt it make it to the top, and youknowthere's a lot of old, out of shape, woefully unprepared people who try it:http://www.gadventures.com/faqs/kilimanjaro-trek/

Any of the others, then sure, that's a pretty significant accomplishment.
If I had to guess it would be Kilimanjaro, McKinley or Aconcagua. McKinley would be the most impressive of the three but its still not like saying you climbed Everest or something.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
If I had to guess it would be Kilimanjaro, McKinley or Aconcagua. McKinley would be the most impressive of the three but its still not like saying you climbed Everest or something.
McKinley is like 2nd hardest after Everest. I'm betting on Kosciuzko.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
McKinley is like 2nd hardest after Everest. I'm betting on Kosciuzko.
Yeah, but its the easiest accessibility wise for someone in the U.S., and not insurmountably hard to train for if you are young and in decent shape.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, Australia is so hard to get to.
You need a passport. Its fucking like a full day of flying one way and your going through what 12 hours of time zones and across the international date line? You could do Alaska in a long weekend.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Its a 6500M summit and the third highest in the world from base to peak in one of the most hostile environments in the world and you think its more accessible because you dont need a passport?

Kosziusko is 70 miles away from Sydney or Melbourne and is a 2200M summit. You can drive a car up all the way to the summit if you wanted to.

It's OK to admit you said something stupid. We've all done it at some point in our life.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its a 6500M summit and the third highest in the world from base to peak in one of the most hostile environments in the world and you think its more accessible because you dont need a passport?

Kosziusko is 70 miles away from Sydney or Melbourne and is a 2200M summit. You can drive a car up all the way to the summit if you wanted to.

It's OK to admit you said something stupid. We've all done it at some point in our life.
Its not even technically correct to call it the Australian peak anyway.

This company charges $7k for Denali and $18k for Cartensz, which is before airfare.

http://www.alpineascents.com/denali-price-date.asp

http://www.alpineascents.com/carstensz-price-date.asp

Even from the east coast that's a much bigger travel bill. So yes, accessibility wise there's no contest for a U.S. resident. Assuming Cartensz then its also very technical despite the lower elevation. Denali is certainly one of the hardest on the list but its still considered a starter mountain for high altitude alpine summits.

If I had to guess at which one he did I would still guess Kilimanjaro though. But Denali is more accessible for a U.S. resident than either one in Australia no matter how easy the climb.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
If that sportscaster knew this is where the conversation was going, he probably would have just lived.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Sorry, I don't have a knack for captivating people with fascinating stories about fishing in Final Fantasy XI.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Whoa, fantastic derail. My seven summit was Kilimanjaro. The summit rate for the mountain hovers around 40-66% annually. The 95%, 86% Eomer linked is for that particular expedition outfitter, not in whole. It's arelativelyeasy mountain if you're in shape, but it's still a serious undertaking, as a couple people always die each year to APE or whatever. I am planning Aconcagua next.

My experience was pretty unique however, as we took a harder, more dangerous route (2-3% of people that climb Kili do it), and I got to see some wondrous things (see pic below). The dangerous,non-manufacturedpart hit home when a rockslide on the dangerous portion unloosened and came crashing down 30-40 feet to the left of us, at which time our guide somewhat panicked and rushed us back down to assault it again before dawn of the next day.

Onto what matters:

hodj_sl said:
Yeah, as someone who is currently majoring in three fields and paying about a 3rd the price of other people to do so because of Pell grants, someone who, by the way, dropped out of high school at 15 (16 legally but I hadn't seriously gone to school in over a year at that point) to party and get high and "experience real experiences", I can assure you, first hand, that the most real experiences I've had have been exploring my true potential, and very little to nothing has gotten in my way of doing that, exceptmyself
Stopped drugs, worked hard, all that jazz: fantastic, but that doesn't matter. Your scholarship in whatever and anthropology is great. I have lots of friends in the field, but again it doesn't matter. I'm not discussing the historical context of the beginnings of culture in a general sense or how ours in particular got to where it is today. It's a nice and interesting aside (and one that is, assuredly, needed for a full understanding), but I'm framing the problemof the here and now, not historically why religion or norms of our culture developed generally. I don't care for the moment as it's not important for our task at hand: to realize the pathological social sickness in society today.

People aren't sheep. They're people. They very concept of calling people sheep, or sheeple, or whatever, is condescending nonsense. It literally says "Your experiences are not valid because they do not fit my conceptions of what they should be". That's unfair, and coming from a person who quotes Marx chapter and verse, really hypocritical point of view to be taking.
People do and seek what comforts them. What do you think makes them most comfortable? To belong, to fit in, to be a part of the group. The interesting part is that it doesn't much matterwhat kind of group, as long as it is one: from a member of the Nazi party, to the KKK, to radical Islam, to Patriots fans. Theactivityof the group doesn't matter as long as they belong to it, as with it comes social validation of that activity, and any activity, genocide, mass murder or cheering for Tom Brady's td pass.

The social psychology of people is the same regardless of the activity being done. Look at someone's brain, and the brains of the members of the group surrounding them, of say, singing at a place of worship and cheering at a sporting event.

To not identify the activity being performed and only realize the comfort in being with and as a part of a group performing itis what a sheep is, the very definition.

And this is what most people do. I hope grandpa Marx would agree.

Oh, of course. You say of course as if its just simply true because you say so [...] doesn't mean that my experiences, both real and by proxy, are invalid [...] You can't take one or two experiences which are manufactured, declare that these are the only experiences in life, and that since they are manufactured, nothing is real and everything is a lie.
I never said ALL experiences are manufactured. Listen to my words carefully. As society further develops itself, the tendency is to abstract more and more, to produce more products and commodities. The evolution of the internet, for example, is not simply an evolution of technology, but an evolution of products born of and served by that technology.

And here is where we begin to reach the limits of what our modern society can do for us. That tendency, the habit of thought to solve problems and fulfill all human needs, both physical and psychological, by no other way but producing yet another product, yet another thing to consume, has the effect of alienating us from each other and turning our lives into a series of abstractions, one after the other, of feelings that are not beget by our own activities, but by something else or someone else - again, a feeling produced by proxy, by a product.That alienation of our lives is mentally unhealthy.

Look at Famm's example of fishing in FF versus going to dinner with family.

[...] would those children's lives be less valid because of it?
2. "And this manufacturing has a serious detrimental effect on mental health" -Citation required, and by citation I mean I want to see real, quantified, peer reviewed studies that show that manufacturing products makes people insane.
There's a difference between validity and health. I'm not going to qualify valid, as arguing whether the life of a robot is more or less valid than a human being isn't my purpose. I'm talking about how the latter experiences his or her life.

I'm also not talking clinical psychology (although Fromm did), so don't pull the non-falsifiability Popper card. There have been studies done on the effects of capitalism, the effects of money and exchange, has on psychological processes on an individual level. You're going into the age old debate of sociology as a science, and that's exhausting.

These are two unrelated events. First and foremost, that companies' stock isn't being built from fucking supernatural flying spaghetti monster powers. Everything you consume is manufactured from....natural products. But you're really off on a tangent trying to defend what is simply a naturalist fallacy. That because something isn't "natural" by your perception, it isn't real, valid, or moral. Of course, your view is extremely limited, and again, extremely Christianized. Humans are not a force separate from nature. Of course your argument implicitly asserts that humans are above, outside of, and different from the natural world, and therefore, anything we create, even if we create from materials garnered in the natural world, by some magic force, the mere fact that we altered it and touched it, makes it unnatural [...]
Itisless real. Thequalificationof the thing as good or bad is naturalist, but the statement of reality being reality is not. A company's stock islessreal, being non-existent, than the bark of a tree. Whether it's good or bad for company stock to exist is apart from the reality of it not existing naturally. This is dumb and I won't comment on it further.

And again you're totally missing the point: the argument is not natural vs. unnatural - it doesn't make a difference. Theeffect or intentof most of the unnatural (per above) things that we create, the products we produce in modern society, is one in which our feelings and experiences are generated for us and not by us. You want to talk about depression, loneliness, a feeling of emptiness? A feeling like your life is worthless? The whys of a sportswriter committing suicide? Those are true in an objective sense, not incorrect thoughts or feelings because of messed up brain chemistry - and the choice of suicide was probably a sane one (didn't read all his blog). It's because your life, our lives, are more and more experienced not by activities that are done by us directly, but by products used to service the creation of those feelings and emotions.

Yes, climbing a mountain or cutting your baby's cord is probably an authentic experience, but the more society 'advances' in terms of this product-commodity psychology of solving our problems, the more we'll feel empty and alone. It's wrong, unhealthy, and fucked up.

Of course, your view is extremely limited, and again, extremely Christianized
A Luddite, Christian Marxist naturalist humanist. That's me! Or you could just say someone looking at reality for what it is, much easier.

You should take some chemistry classes to understand why this is. And read the first like twenty chapters of Genesis in the Bible, to understand where the idea that humans are separate and above nature comes from, because that is what you are arguing. We are part of nature. The ants aren't separate from nature because they built an ant hill, and we aren't separate from nature because we built skyscrapers and went to the Moon.
I was raised an engineer bro, albeit a bad one, and I don't wanna go to church, thanks. The moon? sure.

So? This is literally all humans are and do. They make tools, and ascribe meaning to things. If it wasn't our TV shows, it would be our cave paintings. Take away ascribed meaning, take away culture, all you're left with is, at best, taller, balder Chimpanzees. You're lamenting ourHUMANNESSDumar.
I'm not saying the creation of tools is all bad. Please listen. I'm saying the further our society goes along, the more abstractifying we do, in all spheres of life, from having babies, to climbing mountains, to feelings such as love, to fucking, to fishing in a videogame.

Thesolutionour society proposes to solve ALL human need is the creation of an abstraction of the real medicine, of genuine relatedness to the world and to each other through direct experience. To more and more product-ize and commoditize every single thing that can be. This norm is adefectof our modern culture, our modern society. And a consequence of this defect is a form of social pathology: 'My life is empty.' Yes, it is. But it's not your fault - it's society's.

I think it was Plato who played this sort of game you're playing, when writing was becoming common place in Greece, some philosopher, maybe not Plato but one of them, argued that this was a terrible thing, if everyone wrote everything down, no one would ever need to remember anything any more, and our entire species would become dumber as a result. We're at the point technologically where memory is virtually not even necessary anymore, we simply use computers to do it for us, and yet we're infinitely smarter as a species even if individually we're slightly dumber, because we offload large portions of our thinking capacity to machines now. This is the Singularity. The future. And its not unhealthy at all. In fact, its evolution at its most succinct and powerful.
Thanks for comparing me to Plato, but hardly. Again I'm not making a naturalist argument. Why didn't you mention how we'd allfeel or experiencein the Singularity?

You don't feel this way if you do not have a serious mental illness, no. Most people do not lie to themselves on a daily basis and do not live in a world where they feel their every human interaction is superficial bullshit. The ones that do are either attention whoring women, or people with serious mental illnesses, paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep.
It mostly is superficial bullshit, whether you want to use Famm's rationalization filters is up to you, but most interactions, most things you feel or experience in modern life, are constructed, artificial, and meaningless. I dunno what to say, sorry?

Also a false premise. There are not objective healthy physical states for the body. Its all relative. If you're 550 pounds and bed ridden, it is objectively unhealthy for you to get up and try and run a mile, you won't make it, and you'll probably die. Health in every context is subjective and relative to the situation and circumstances at hand in the individual subject under observation.
Nope.

There are objective states of mental health just as physical, yet maybe the prescription to get there is different. Some may require more running than others, but the goal is the same for both of them: an objective level of physical health and mental health, the same for each of us, for each individual in this modern insane society.

Close to Kili summit, looks like cg in real life:

rrr_img_42484.jpg