Star Citizen Online - The search for more money

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Blackwulf

N00b
In October 2012, the developers of the game started a crowdfunding campaign on their own website using IgnitionDeck, a crowdfunding plugin for WordPress.[66][67] Just over a week into the campaign, they also started raising funds via a supplemental Kickstarter campaign.[68] Funding quickly surpassed initial target goals and subsequently additional stretch goals have been added to the funding campaign, most promising more or expanded content at release.[69][70] The initial end date of the funding campaign on the RSI website was later extended by 10 days to match the Kickstarter end date and enable additional funding.[71] On November 17, 2012, two days before campaign closure, the game achieved the record for highest crowdfunded game project with over US$4.2 million.[72] At initial pledge campaign end, the total pledge amount was above all goals initially set by Cloud Imperium Games and reached US$6.2 million.[67]

Found this information in less than five seconds. Now, go fuck yourself!

WTF did I look back at this thread? Look, bud, I'll break it down for you:

1. Etchazz claims the game should have been done in 2015 - "Wasn't the actual finished game supposed to launch in 2015?"
2. I remind Etchazz that anyone who thinks a game with this feature set could be made in 3 years is retarded.
3. Etchazz decides he is a genius because he found out the kickstarter was in 2012. (2012 - 2015 is 3 years)

Seriously? What the fuck?

Merry Christmas, everyone.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
No, you fucking retarded, inbred, mouth breather. I didn't say it was going to go launch in 2015, THEY SAID IT WAS GOING TO LAUNCH IN 2015! The actual game started development in 2011, with a planned release date sometime in 2015. But please, keep giving more money to Roberts, and please tell us again about how awesome ESO is, the other game you shilled for several years!

Variise

N00b
etchazz doubled down on the crazy and denial after I pointed out that Chris Roberts released a Letter From The Chairman announcing a new direction for SC from its original scope clearly stating the game will be delayed. The only part of the letter I had an issue with is Chris being his usual optimistic self hoping it wouldn't be too delayed but that's just game development. I stopped listening to etchazz after that and just kept pounding his ass. He seems to like it so much he keeps coming back for more. I think he's sweet on me.

Anyway the only reason I came back before 3.0 is that there is an update on CIG's move to Amazon's Lumberyard licensing over CryTek's CryEngine (keep in mind Lumberyard is just a CryEngine 3.7 fork with AWS integration meaning different netcode etc. for online play). Here it is:

"Updated: I've had a response from CIG director of communications, David Swofford, to say that the relationship between CIG and Amazon is that of them being a regular licensee of Amazon's technology. The reason for the announcement today was that it was turned on with the release of 2.6. He also confirmed that all the work CIG had done to expand the CryEngine has been transitioned to the new engine."

So there you go. No loss of code base just a transition where they will now take code from Lumberyard as it pertains to AWS integration as that is a singular contractual requirement for using their code. So this seems to have been overblown by a lot of people including me. It's not a major engine re-write as I thought so much as integration with Amazon's service so they can use their global hosting service and related netcode.

Merry Christmas!

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Damn I gave these these guys $65 back in 2012 too, completely forgot. Disappointing, when I usually want to throw my money away with nothing in return it is on camwhores or my wife.

Guess I should grab the alpha and play around at some point.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Pretty funny the Pair of Preachers are hyping this title when probably most of the board kicked in a couple bucks on this vaporware. Are they here to stop people from seeking a refund? How much is RSI spending to try and keep my $40?

• 1Like

Blackwulf

N00b
I checked my KS account, and apparently I backed this at the $30 level for the fuck of it. Jaw dropped when I saw this was funded back in 2012.

So my pledge level says I have access to the Alpha/Beta. I can get on and try this trainwreck? My email must be spam filtering updates or something because I never got any notification that I can remember. How do I go about getting my sweet, sweet alpha access?

Damn I gave these these guys $65 back in 2012 too, completely forgot. Disappointing, when I usually want to throw my money away with nothing in return it is on camwhores or my wife.

Guess I should grab the alpha and play around at some point.

Definitely check out the alpha. Star Marine and Arena Commander are both fun, and you should get good performance. The Persistent Universe alpha is amazing to see and experience, but be prepared for shitty framerates - I get 20-30 on a 980 gtx. It's not the graphics causing the low frames, it's the old networking - it basically is sharing 100% of info with all players in the PU. They are refactoring the network code and supposedly it will be ready in 3.0 (the next build.)

Take a few minutes to look over the key mapping, or you'll be confused. One thing that might drive you crazy is that when you use a console or sit in a seat by pressing 'F' it isn't immediately obvious how the hell you get out. just long press 'F' again.

Pretty funny the Pair of Preachers are hyping this title when probably most of the board kicked in a couple bucks on this vaporware. Are they here to stop people from seeking a refund? How much is RSI spending to try and keep my $40?

I'm certainly not preaching or hyping. Just sharing info about new builds. My opinion is and always has been, spend the bare minimum to be a backer. Arena Commander by itself is worth 45 bucks to a fan of the genre. If you love it and are hopeful about the final game, sure back more, but never more than you can afford to lose.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just read the last 2 months or so of this thread, and jesus christ. Did these people really raise 140 million dollars for a game that is never going to be released?!?

I don't even.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I think I'm finally just about finished laughing about them changing the engine 4 years into development. I guess now we know why all the delays over the last year as they broke everything.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
"Facts"....

provided direct to you by the guys whos job it is to keep the fans pumped and handing over the dollars.

"Facts"

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Welp the way they keep dragging this out, quantum computing will be in every home PC and they will get to change engines 3 or 4 more times before everything is said and done. Practicing swapping to newer tech is a good thing ...

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
At this point, investing in Duke Nukem Forever pre order was probably a better bang for your buck than this, just based on principle.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm not sure if some of you are being intentionally obtuse, but the move to Lumberyard isn't like moving from CryEngine to Unreal, but instead is closer to merging two forked versions into one code base. It's a major investment at this point in development, but I can certainly see the advantages in the long term.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I'm not sure if some of you are being intentionally obtuse, but the move to Lumberyard isn't like moving from CryEngine to Unreal, but instead is closer to merging two forked versions into one code base. It's a major investment at this point in development, but I can certainly see the advantages in the long term.
We know that now, when most people posted about it that was not apparent.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Amazon bought basically all of Crytek's code when they went in the shitter, to use for un-named gaming projects projects.

CiG hired most of Crytek's ex-programmers.

Star Citizen has been using Amazon Payments for tens of millions dollars' worth of transactions.

To think the two haven't been in cahoots the whole time is naive.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Amazon bought basically all of Crytek's code when they went in the shitter, to use for un-named gaming projects projects.

CiG hired most of Crytek's ex-programmers.

Star Citizen has been using Amazon Payments for tens of millions dollars' worth of transactions.

To think the two haven't been in cahoots the whole time is naive.

So Bezos trip to Mars will be online, piloting an over priced RSI virtual ship in a SCO Beta some time in the next 5 yrs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
So Bezos trip to Mars will be online, piloting an over priced RSI virtual ship in a SCO Beta some time in the next 5 yrs.
(edit) Thank you Zapatta, very interesting perspective. Looking at these implications got me looking at things like this.....

Ohhhh..... so this crowdfunding business is not really a scam at all? It is really just a public *virtual* interest venture in the digital age huh?
Kind of like NASA being funded to the moon in the 60s and 70s.... except this time its all virtual investment for a virtual trip to a virtual planet for virtual public profit....virtual because well.... doing it for *real* in the digital age is too expensive. WTF is WRONG with all these people calling crowdscamming unethical right? Sucker people to pony up 10x normal cost of development....for no real benefit to the investor! Screw real benefits of developing R&D capability and technology for real practical benefits like asteroid mining in our solar system.... Fellow taxpayers! How about a $100 tax increase to fun space programs? pffttt..... lets blow $1000 on virtual space ships for a game that might get virtually developed.... eventually.... 10 years late and 10x over budget.....

*sigh* ooops, my apologies, except SCO will never be over budget for its crowdsuckers .... dreams are priceless and do not worry about virtual silly stuffs like REAL budgets!!!

So to save money well do a virtual game (not a real MMO game with real playability to test in Alpha, too *conventional* that!) with only virtual CORE playability mechanics stuff like exploration maybe (JFC!) .....by Alpha 4.0, @ this rate ten years of crowdfunding into development.....riiiight.

All the deluded people criticizing the impossibly impractical & unethical ten year crowdfunding alpha *virtual* development cycle are quite mistaken to be concerned about creating REAL gameplay. My apologies Variise Variise I see the virtual benefits now , soldier on Star Citizen!

*sigh*

Lol....I honestly think tis the convenience of the *magic* of virtual digital transactions and currency to blame here. None of this stupid shit would fly if people actually had to walk to a REAL counter in a store and fork over REAL fooking $$$ bills and count them by hand, to buy or *INVEST* in something virtual..... some sort of damn sanity would *kick* in and they would ask themselves:
  • WTF am I throwing this money away for?
  • I'm not a fooking investor, I just want a fooking TOY (GAME) to play with! Sell it when it is MADE......not before
  • If you want me to fooking invest in your *virtual* idea (ie before it is a REAL product) I want some budgets, discipline and a half decent hope of a guarantee of a return! Instead you get scamming and Space Citizen Nepotism.
Cmon Citizens! Forget your real, practical gameplay concerns, lets buy some more virtual space ships for some more real $$$$.... Cmon 200 mil !!

(edit sp)

Last edited:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The truly idiotic thing of crowdfunding games is that the company is asking you to spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars, and your only ROI is an in game trinket or autographed poster. Imagine if that's how Wall Street worked. "Buy our stock! No, you don't get to make any money off of your investment, but we will send you a Christmas card!"

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users