Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Siliconemelons

Sulu slayed pussy.

In the first movie having sulu mention his hand to hand combat is fencing is a - "kind gesture" and good pandering as I believe the fencing thing was an addition to Sulu's character that Takei had put in. However just why Takei said its stupid, its stupid - Sulu is not, and was not gay. Takei is, that does not make the character he did not invent gay...and its stupid to shoehorn it in. His statement is gold and I hope more people pay attention to it. Lol I like the fact that Takei was like -dude sulu had a kid, and its stated *in a book* that his baby mama was the hottest space chick ever- and was proud his character scored some ultra hot space booty.

spronk

FPS noob
Paramount showing some strong belief in the franchise, announcing the next movie already. Chris Hemsworth will return as Kirk's dad
TrekMovie.com

Interestingly they are not going to recast Chekov, whose actor died a few weeks ago in a freak car accident

also final trailer, movie looks good. its totally fast and furious in space, but at least they aren't mercilessly retro-retarding the story anymore

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
there was cultural room for it. and they did in 68. not possible for mainstream gay at that time. stonewall was a year later.

that it was a nice gesture and to call it as i see it. that its nuanced. that ppl are fine are with the gays until they have a gay son themselves(often) == or until it rubs up on something they themselves identify with. then you see it how is it.
You're a fucking moron. Maybe they should go back and make Gandalf gay because the actor who played him was gay? Or, better yet, everyone in Hollywood who is gay should only be able to play gay people in movies?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
. its totally fast and furious in space,
Fuck that, and fuck this whole series of remakes. It shits on everything Star Trek stood for. You could totally change the entire universe and cast of characters and it wouldn't make a shits difference to the entertainment value, because these movies are just about how much Adderall you need to take to successfully track the one million simultaneous moving objects on screen drenched in lens flare.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
People criticizing the action of the reboot forget that the originals were basically westerns that ended up more cerebral due to budget limitations on how much action they could do. Wrath of Khan, the pinnacle of classic Trek by most people's standards, had over half the movie as space combat or action scenes. Younger Kirk was always a man of action. And lets be honest, everyone who knew the original characters abilities was itching to see how gnarly Khan and Spock really could be in a fight, if turned loose.

But they could have more high concept dialog than they do, for certain. The original series and movie tended to space its action bits with social commentary and heavy sci-fi stuff, which has been mostly absent since about halfway through the last one (Cumberbatch speech in the brig was the high point of the movie, imo), but we will see tonight if that pattern holds.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
People criticizing the action of the reboot forget that the originals were basically westerns that ended up more cerebral due to budget limitations on how much action they could do. Wrath of Khan, the pinnacle of classic Trek by most people's standards, had over half the movie as space combat or action scenes. Younger Kirk was always a man of action. And lets be honest, everyone who knew the original characters abilities was itching to see how gnarly Khan and Spock really could be in a fight, if turned loose.

But they could have more high concept dialog than they do, for certain. The original series and movie tended to space its action bits with social commentary and heavy sci-fi stuff, which has been mostly absent since about halfway through the last one (Cumberbatch speech in the brig was the high point of the movie, imo), but we will see tonight if that pattern holds.
I highly doubt that a Star Trek movie directed by the Fast and Furious douche bag will have anything poignant to say...

Xevy

Log Wizard
Always thought this looked terrible but the 90% on RT is fairly shocking. I'm seeing it and we'll see if it's actually good or just a F&F in space.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Always thought this looked terrible but the 90% on RT is fairly shocking. I'm seeing it and we'll see if it's actually good or just a F&F in space.
Im not a trekie but apparently half the movie is action and the other half is a movie for fans from what i've read. Non of this matters really since both Star Trek movies are well received, but all gamers/nerds say Into the darkness was one of the worst movies

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw it last night and I brought my girlfriend who has never seen Star Trek nor the previous two movies.

She loved it and I thought it was a great movie.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
. Wrath of Khan, the pinnacle of classic Trek by most people's standards, had over half the movie as space combat or action scenes. .
Except the action was watchable-- plodding, tactical, tense combat, done with models and a resounding musical score. Not capital ships dogfighting tie-fighter style with every color of the rainbow exploding on screen in an unwatchable mess.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
. Wrath of Khan, the pinnacle of classic Trek by most people's standards, had over half the movie as space combat or action scenes. .
Except the action was watchable-- plodding, tactical, tense combat, done with models and a resounding musical score. Not capital ships dogfighting tie-fighter style with every color of the rainbow exploding on screen in an unwatchable mess.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Definitely the strongest of the three movies. They finally got smart and realized that Urban's Bones impression was the best part of the reboots. This felt like an old school start trek movie, from start to finish. Outside of the Sulu gayness being force fed, I have no real criticisms of it. Probably the movie I liked the most all year (since Deadpool, really).

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I agree, liked this movie a lot more than I expected to. Other than the blatantly dumb way they actually "win" at the end, I didn't even have a whole lot to complain about, which was my biggest beef with the first movie. The action was fun and exciting and well-done, and the story was good enough to hold it all together. It isn't going to win any awards for writing or anything, but it wasn't blatantly terrible, and it was actually fairly bare bones, which worked better because there wasn't a lot of bullshit they had to make up to try to get where they wanted to go. Like transporters that work across the whole galaxy.

I give it an 8/10 purely for fun. My favorite of the series easily. Don't think too hard, and don't go in expecting too much, and you'll have a good time.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Definitely the strongest of the three movies. They finally got smart and realized that Urban's Bones impression was the best part of the reboots. This felt like an old school start trek movie, from start to finish. Outside of the Sulu gayness being force fed, I have no real criticisms of it. Probably the movie I liked the most all year (since Deadpool, really).
Good to hear Judge Karl Dredd is getting more love. Now if some of those braindead Hollywood moneymen would finally get a hint...

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Pegg is a big nerd so its nice to see his writing worked. Everything i've read and seen was him trying to make this film for himself and every other trekie

HUH_sl

shitlord
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills cause I didn't think it was very good at all. Bones was great, everything else, not so much.

Too many major character moments seemed to happen months before off screen and we're just told about them. There was way too much poorly explained and thoughtout tech. I really like the cast and crew but I had no emotional investment in them this time around. Action scenes were really forgettable, poorly shot and hard to follow. I'm starting to think this might have been an issue at my theatre's 3D. It was a very dark movie and maybe one of the worst 3D conversions I've seen. Could just be my shitty theater though which would go a long way to explain why I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone else.

It wasn't insulting or cringe worthy like some of the other major franchises this year but it was completely forgettable.