Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You're right, very bad was too harsh. Would you agree to just bad?

I'm assuming everyone has seen the RLM review of the movie?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Acting was fine, Bones was pretty great except the gruff was turnt to 11. Less Spock than we could've used, but the Spock/Bones tandem was great. Overall movie doesn't come close to deserving 90%. It's like a 7-8 out of 10 at best. Plotholes abound and the story was weak.

Here's some major plot holes:

Only Enterprise can traverse that Nebula! Is best ship!---- Meteroid belt completely absent or expertly navigated by the Franklin immediately after?!?!?!"
Teleporter Krall off the air thing. There's fucking teleporters everywhere. They showed a fucking civilian using one on the Yorktown during it's introduction.
Krall eats the crew of people he steals for health. Cool. But where did his army come from? He said 3 crew members remained on his logs which accounts for Krall, Mannis, and chick Saboteur. Are the rest robots or something?
Motherfucker just names himself Krall instead of Balthazar Eddison? Cool.
I GUESS the mining drones would be pretty resistant to heat and stuff but their super laser defense system on the Yorktown should've shredded a good amount of them.
Also if you told some one "Yeah, they defeated the evil army with Beastie Boys" before they saw this, they probably wouldn't see it. Where are these nerd movie reviewers that so many of you revere now?

Overall I don't remember the first one, honestly. I remember the second one and liked it best because the story was the best out of the three and Cumberbatch was pretty cool. This one is easily forgettable. Not terrible, but nothing compelling.
Couple those they definately explained.

They said that they knew the path in and out now that the Enterprise had done it.
They said there was an indigenous mining species that was there.
The teleporters was something I wondered about also. You know where he has to go. Stick a Federation badge on him and be beam his ass outta there.BUT maybe it had something to do with the gravity in that area.
The Beastie Boys thing was so cornball. But that was clearly put in there for the 45+ crowd who would be Star Trek Fans and 80's music fans.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It gets helped a lot by Generations being so fucking horrific.

There's also a meta plot in the film of Q finally proving to Picard that he's not the enlightened person he believes himself to be. If you go back and watch the episode where Q introduces the Enterprise to the Borg (and really, watch all of the Q episodes) and then watch First Contact the only thing that story arc is missing is Q blinking in to talk shit right after Jean-Luc machine guns down an assimilated crewman and gives his "AND I WILL MAKE THEM PAY" line.

In the end Q won.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Meh, I'm sure the connection is unintentional. It's just a bit of fan wank that I always happened to like.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
First Trek film ever I'm not seeing in theatres.

Fuck them. Telling Takei he doesn't get a vote on the character he built? Pandering to special interest groups, deciding Chekov with his 30 lines in 2 movies is so sacred he will never be recast. HE WAS RECAST! These people are fucking idiots shitting all over Gene and Harlan. Turning what once was a proud franchise that eschewed action for pontification and that "democracy and good always win" turned into Fast and Furious.

Fucking pathetic.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Film is boring, worst trek movie I've seen including Insurrection. Very generic movie plot, little humor, no clear motivations or real jeopordy for main characters.

I only enjoyed the last few minutes when bad guy motivation is explained. Then I finally knew WTF was going on and film is over in 5 minutes from there anyway.

It's the Superman Returns of the trek universe. I wish I saw Ghostbusters.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Basically the opposite of what Chris just said, except it still isn't Star Trek. They drop a few things here and there for fans of the fallen franchise but it is simply a vehicle for them to do an action movie in space using sci-fi. Might as well have a former Doctor Who actor try to explain it as all future sciencey-whiencey to which Kirk simply says "skip to the end" while Ollie from Family Guy lays it out for you.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The lapses in basic space physics that magically disappear and then reappear when the plot necessitates it to the hammy action sequences (motorcycle scene was a complete wtf and no I don't give a fuck about spoiling that) made me cringe throughout. It's tangentially star trek and the rest is just your typical dumb modern action movie with impossibru stunts that would only fool your 10 year old nephew. I feel dumb for having spent 15 bucks to see this in 3d ugh.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure the air circulator at end there was named "C3P Oxygen." It was really quick and only saw it once but it jumped out to me.

Siliconemelons

I thought it was better than into darkness, it's different than "old" trek- I never expected it to be the same.

I think with the ending we are now at the "place" that TOS started. This should have been into darkness, and they should have saved Kahn for later.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
As someone who grew up (semi-literally) with Star Trek: TNG and then the others, I found this to be the most solid of the three so far. Still could have been better, but there's not many episodes I ever saw where I didn't say the same thing. The problem here is honestly the same problem the Marvel movies keep running in to... you have well known, developed characters going up against random_threat_038 and resolving it within a matter of hours.

There's plenty of nitpicking to do, but I'll probably watch it again when it hits Netflix or Amazon or whatever, unlike Into Darkness. My biggest gripe is mostly trivial and possibly just an oversight but...

Why did the Enterprise-A look exactly the same as the first 1701 at the end? They even made offhand remarks at Yorktown about how the only "more advanced" ship around wasn't complete yet, so it suggested that either that would be turned into the A (unlikely but whatever) or there was new tech to be had, and part of the point of going from 1701 to 1701-A/B/C/D was always to change up the look and make it more up-to-date. I'm hoping they just didn't put in the effort here and it actually looks different in the next movie.

Edit: Am I the only Trek fan that likes VI? I honestly think it's just a good movie, and a great Star Trek movie, but fuck if anyone ever talks about it. Have to agree with the negative sentiments about First Contact too, I loved it when I first saw it but can't stand it now, which leaves me with... Generations, I guess, as the most tolerable TNG film, which is sad.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Why did the Enterprise-A look exactly the same as the first 1701 at the end? They even made offhand remarks at Yorktown about how the only "more advanced" ship around wasn't complete yet, so it suggested that either that would be turned into the A (unlikely but whatever) or there was new tech to be had, and part of the point of going from 1701 to 1701-A/B/C/D was always to change up the look and make it more up-to-date. I'm hoping they just didn't put in the effort here and it actually looks different in the next movie.

Edit: Am I the only Trek fan that likes VI? I honestly think it's just a good movie, and a great Star Trek movie, but fuck if anyone ever talks about it. Have to agree with the negative sentiments about First Contact too, I loved it when I first saw it but can't stand it now, which leaves me with... Generations, I guess, as the most tolerable TNG film, which is sad.
6 is a good movie.

In the originals, the Enterprise A actually didn't look too different from the "Motion Picture" version of the Enterprise 1701. There was an update to the image from TV to Movies, but when it was destroyed in 3, and they got a new one in 4, it looked the same. They thought they were going to get an Excelsior, which was the next "technological leap", but it wasn't ready yet. That's what the statement about the next ship not being ready yet--here is the scene in Star Trek 4.

Here is the Enterprise from the Motion Picture, aside from the blue deflector, it's the same ship.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Am I the only Trek fan that likes VI?
Nope - it's easily the second best of the TOS movies by any standard, and I'd personally put it on par with Wrath of Khan, although I know I'm pretty unique in that.

Siliconemelons

I grew up with TNG and my parents watched TOS- I remeber going to the theater for V and VI, and that was a big deal as my dad NEVER took us to the movies as a family, eeeeveeerr- except for trek.

2, 4 and 6 were regular movie nights at home and I loved them all.

I really like 6 because it wraps up TOS movies very well- as a film I still enjoy it. Another reason is the soundtrack to this film- like fellowship of the ring- the soundtrack flows perfectly and you can just listen to the music and "hear" the film and progression.

4 is a character movie, everyone gets to sit back and enjoy the characters being themselves in a fairly relaxed enviroment.

2 is 2, no one should need explaining what or why 2 is awesome.

And... yeah I liked beyond!

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Trek II often is a fan fav, I find it funny how many havent see the origin of the story from "Space Seed". I though it was an interesting touch with Darkness when they added the blood thing. He should have been a little more emotionally damaged I thought for being someone from the 1990's or 2050(retcon), guess I wanted a bit more on him than the rest.
Given new timeline reboot, in 13 years from Beyond is V'Ger?

Space Seed
The Enterprise comes across the SS Botany Bay, an ancient Earth spaceship from the 20th century traveling through deep space with a group of genetically engineered humans in suspended animation (a remnant from Earth's Eugenics Wars of the 1990s). Visiting this vessel automatically revives Khan, a charismatic Sikh warrior-type with five times the strength and ambition of regular humans, who immediately attracts the attentions of ship's historian Lt. Marla McGivers. While Kirk and Spock slowly learn he is Khan Noonien Singh, the last and greatest of Earth's tyrants, Khan uses both Marla and the ship's library to revive his superhuman compatriots and take over the Enterprise.
Motion Picture
In 2273, a Starfleet monitoring station, Epsilon Nine, detects an alien force, hidden in a massive cloud of energy, moving through space towards Earth. The cloud destroys three of the Klingon Empire's new K't'inga-class warships and the monitoring station en route. On Earth, the starship Enterprise is undergoing a major refit; her former commanding officer, James T. Kirk, has been promoted to Admiral and works in San Francisco as Chief of Starfleet Operations. Starfleet dispatches Enterprise to investigate the cloud entity as the ship is the only one in intercept range, requiring her new systems to be tested in transit.

Kirk takes command of the ship citing his experience, angering Captain Willard Decker, who had been overseeing the refit as its new commanding officer. Testing of Enterprise's new systems goes poorly; two officers, including the science officer, are killed by a malfunctioning transporter, and improperly calibrated engines almost destroy the ship. Kirk's unfamiliarity with the new systems of the Enterprise increases the tension between him and first officer Decker. Commander Spock arrives as a replacement science officer, explaining that while on his home world undergoing a ritual to purge all emotion, he felt a consciousness that he believes emanates from the cloud.

Enterprise intercepts the energy cloud and is attacked by an alien vessel within. A probe appears on the bridge, attacks Spock and abducts the navigator, Ilia. She is replaced by a robotic doppelgänger, a probe sent by "V'Ger" to study the crew. Decker is distraught over the loss of Ilia, with whom he had a romantic history. He becomes troubled as he attempts to extract information from the doppelgänger, which has Ilia's memories and feelings buried within. Spock takes a spacewalk to the alien vessel's interior and attempts a telepathic mind meld with it. In doing so, he learns that the vessel is V'Ger itself, a living machine.

At the center of the massive ship, V'Ger is revealed to be Voyager 6, a 20th-century Earth space probe believed lost. The damaged probe was found by an alien race of living machines that interpreted its programming as instructions to learn all that can be learned, and return that information to its creator. The machines upgraded the probe to fulfill its mission, and on its journey the probe gathered so much knowledge that it achieved consciousness. Spock realizes that V'Ger lacks the ability to give itself a focus other than its original mission; having learned what it could on its journey home, it finds its existence empty and without purpose. Before transmitting all its information, V'Ger insists that the Creator come in person to finish the sequence. Realizing that the machine wants to merge with its creator, Decker offers himself to V'Ger; he merges with the Ilia probe and V'Ger, creating a new form of life that disappears into another dimension. With Earth saved, Kirk directs Enterprise out to space for future missions.
V'Ger
A sentient being that evolved from Voyager 6, a fictitious space probe (inspired by the real life Voyager program) from the 20th century that vanished into a black hole and was given life by a race of living machines. The story of V'Ger and its return to Earth to seek "the creator" forms the plot for the first feature film in the Star Trek series, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. V'Ger's story is also expanded upon in novelization, most notably William Shatner's The Return. Other novelizations and videogames have strongly implied that V'Ger was the progenitor of the Borg, or was encountered by the Borg culture's direct ancestors. The Gene Roddenberry-authored novelization of the movie consistently named "V'Ger" with the spelling "Vejur" throughout the novel's text,[10] potentially making it canonical.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
No good. There were so many things that were poorly explained and unexplained.
-Maybe I'm just a moron, but I didn't realize 'til the end that the guys in suits were the drones. I thought they were of the same species as Krall...because they looked and acted like dudes in Halo combat suits, not a host of 10 million mining drones. It may have gotten explained in the couple minutes I went to the bathroom but even so, it was not an easy connection to make from the white lady mentioning 'mining drones' once in the course of exposition.
-Balthazar's origin story was crazy. What turned them into weird aliens? Was it the power they used to prolong their life? If they had no other way to survive on that planet, how come nobody knew that people/crews randomly kept disappearing on a class M planet that was almost next door to a gargantuan star base? Why did the remaining crew of the Franklin evolve to speak a completely unidentified language within a 100 years of being abandoned?
-How did everyone survive when the Enterprise disc was flipping over? It was a big blur of gunfire and what the fuck, this massive thing is toppling over, Kirk and friends are in free-fall, but they land perfectly safely and manage to run out of the way of the collapsing disc while the alien lady gets obliterated?
-If the Enterprise was the first ship to be able to navigate the nebula separating the planet from the star base (and that's supposed to explain why nobody's gone to Krall's planet), how come the alien lady was able to get to the star base in a fake disabled ship?
-The 'bees' were strong enough to slice the Enterprise into pieces by flying into it...but the power of Beastie Boys makes it so they explode from colliding with each other when they're part of the swarm?
-Why was Spock that torn up about the death of Old Spock? Yeah, sure, you could say that it was there to show how he was feeling obligations towards his own species/was thinking about leaving the Enterprise, but it made no sense for him to care so much about his alternate timeline self.

There honestly wasn't much to like about this movie. The action was shaky-cam bullshit, with so many quick cuts and zooms and whatever that half the time it was impossible to tell what was going on. All the subplots were phoned in and essentially all 'solved' by the same event- from Spock's lady-troubles to Kirk's man angst. I don't know how they managed it, but it was boring. Real disappointing.