Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Xeldar

Silver Squire
The big problem is Ohwhoreya, Bones, Spock, Kirk, Checkhov, Scottie have massively thick plot armor. I'm not engrossed by their close calls with death because I know they will get through it for the thirteenth time. Beyond would have been a better movie if you make Krull the protagonist, show the first third of the movie his crew scavenging to survive on the Franklin; his descent into being a baddie and then fast forward to him intercepting the Enterprise.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
The big problem is Ohwhoreya, Bones, Spock, Kirk, Checkhov, Scottie have massively thick plot armor. I'm not engrossed by their close calls with death because I know they will get through it for the thirteenth time. Beyond would have been a better movie if you make Krull the protagonist, show the first third of the movie his crew scavenging to survive on the Franklin; his descent into being a baddie and then fast forward to him intercepting the Enterprise.
That actually sounds pretty cool.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Movie has plot holes the size of starships in it. But this is also the movie equivalent of the second season jell where the cast starts to carry the series. All of the main cast were good and believable as replacements for the old cast. They have aged past there teenage federation phase and are all adults now and seem very committed to the paths they have chosen.

Will definitely be there for the next movie.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
The cast is the reason to keep watching these movies. I even enjoyed Into Darkness for that reason despite the horrible decision to make Khan the antagonist.

Uhura and Sulu kind of bug me, mainly because they bear little resemblance to their TOS counterparts beyond being a black woman and an Asian guy. At least Uhura is nice to look at.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Did the movie ever explain whose life force Krall was draining to change his appearance or how he assimilated another race's language or how he amassed that army?

Xevy

Log Wizard
He abducted people from other ships and drained them. The language thing has no explanation I know of. The army was apparently mining drones who happen to also be soldiers even though they just said "advanced mining drones".

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
So they made a big deal about the Yorktown being a super advanced starbase.
Why didn't they just beam the dude and /or McGuffin device the fuck out into space or whatever at the end. He was the only guy there and Kirk went after him. You can't tell me ALL the transporters on the super elite SPACE STATION were down but that old ass ship worked fine......Although..no fight scene I guess. /easy ending

faille

Molten Core Raider
Watched it today, it's pretty shit and mindless. Was pretty bored for the most part. Most of the plot holes and issues have already been discussed.

I did find it funny to see in the credits that Jeff Bezos played a Starfleet Official. If I can be bothered I might go and look for the scene.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
this is fucking complete shelock what the fuck did they do.

what is the point of linguist on the starship if they can just use some machine to translate everything

JESUS

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If they wanted to honor George Takei's gayness by making movie Sulu gay, why'd he have a slant eye'd gay partner and not a whitey(like irl) or fucking Klingon, gay.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Saw it on PPV at a hotel last week and it was arguably the worst of the remakes so far-- it's hard to tell since they are all so shitty. I think back on all of them, trying to mentally organize what passed for a plot in each movie, and all that comes to mind are endless explosions, lens flare, and Starfleet human acrobatics that would make an Olympian jealous. None of these movies have done anything to develop any lore regarding this rebooted universe-- it's just one big action/cgi demo reel with radom_plot_0456 thrown in.

Hard to decide what the stupidest scene was in this movie, but my vote goes to that old ship (forget the name) having a transporter system capable of mass transporting people. That generation of ship didn't have human capable transporter systems, let alone mass transport capabilities. But hey, Scotty put some scotch tape on it and advanced the tech 50 years or so.

Spock crying, laughing, and having an ongoing angst ridden romance with Uhura. Seriously, just FUCK OFF with turning Spock into a gaping emo vagina. This is just heresy-- Spock is probably my favorite TV character at all time. As a kid I admired him for his logical approach to everything. When people jokingly say "you destroyed my childhood memory", I mean it literally when it comes to "New Spock". I would fucking pull the kill switch myself on whichever panty-waist faggot rewrote his character.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Just saw it.

Yeah Krall was actually an okay character. I didn't hate him. Please explain in a little more detail how he used all the ancient tech on the planet to do all the shit he did though. Didn't even hate the Sabotage sountrack scene. But 99% because I fucking love that song. The rest of the characters were just doing the same shit they usually do. Bones was pretty funny this time around though.

Jaylah was super hot and I liked her goofiness. Would bang.

The end.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
That era ship transported people fine on Enterprise. Also wtf into darkness was god damn leagues worse than this movie.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Just saw it.

Yeah Krall was actually an okay character. I didn't hate him. Please explain in a little more detail how he used all the ancient tech on the planet to do all the shit he did though. Didn't even hate the Sabotage sountrack scene. But 99% because I fucking love that song. The rest of the characters were just doing the same shit they usually do. Bones was pretty funny this time around though.

Jaylah was super hot and I liked her goofiness. Would bang.

The end.

I like how they have all this advanced technology and obviously thousands of pilots, but based on the film set they used it looked like a primitive village with maybe ten residents sitting on the edge of a mining quarry.

That era ship transported people fine on Enterprise. Also wtf into darkness was god damn leagues worse than this movie.

I honestly can't really tell the difference much between any of the movies.. They all have the same formula: 1) Non-stop tie fighter-esque combat 2) Hand to hand combat scenes in perilous acrobatic situations 3) random cheesy comedy relief and 4) lame spock/uhura romance sub-plot. Everything else is just filler.

Siliconemelons

one thing... why are mining ships and operations the single best tech to turn into insane combat capable death dreadnaughts? Both the 1st and 3rd movie the bad guy is using mining tech to totally wtfpwnsauce everythingggg...

I always hated Starfleet because they where 2 pretentious goodie goods to actually make a "warship" and every time they did it had to be backwater and off the books like the Defiant. I think the last TNG movie the Enterprise was actually outfitted for real combat. Also it was the only startrek to play on a 3D environment of battle...sans 2, but we all know Nemisis was 2 a la TNG.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I like how they have all this advanced technology and obviously thousands of pilots, but based on the film set they used it looked like a primitive village with maybe ten residents sitting on the edge of a mining quarry.
I thought most of the swarm ships were drones and the climax was a "what if bees got drunk?" and all crashed into each other while flying. Except with spaceships that explode.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea most of them were drones I believe, but there was a lot of vaguery about the whole thing. The sad part is this movie still had the most Star Trekkie bits out of the 3 but there was a lot of dumb pushed in for who-knows-what reason. I don't think Pegg had the script from the start so maybe that's part of it, I dunno. Or maybe just execs looming overhead like ever. But the Enterprise getting wrecked in the middle/beginning of the movie followed by rebuilding like new at the end needs to stop happening, as well as disposable villains popping into existence for an excuse at action scenes. People in this thread have already pointed out some cool approaches they could have done for Idris' character to make it way more interesting of a movie (hell, do a low-budget "prequel" video on YouTube or something to lead up to the movie shot on the existing sets).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Easily the best of the remakes so far. It's still too action-ey to be a Star Trek movie but it was substantially better than what preceded it in this latest iteration of the Star Trek universe. I still don't really care for Zachary Quinto's take on Spock but everything else was fine enough. I still wish there was a foreseeable path back to what Star Trek actually is, but that just doesn't seem like a realistic thing to hope for in an industry awash in superhero movies.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to watching this. I echo that Uhura feels most out of place in this cast. It almost feels Haley Berry xmen like. I don't blame Zoe though, these movies have been going for years and she does a great job, it just seems like she's outgrown these movies. Bones continues to outshine the rest of the cast. Urban does such a good job of being 'his version of Bones' that I barely notice it's Urban. And close behind him is Pine as his 'version of Kirk.' The cast carries these movies hands down.

As far as the movie itself, it was exactly what I expect from these movie at this point. Each one has plot holes and WTF moments. But they are fun and that's what I need in these movies. I did really like the motivation of the baddie. When he said that he spent years fighting the Romulans and Klingons only to have the federation break bread with them and make him Captain of a science ship was a good touch.

Overall it was good as a reboot universe movie, but not an good movie overall if that makes sense.