Star Trek Beyond (2016)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
This Kirk captained a starship and saved Earth while he was a cadet. He even died once. It seems logical (groan) enough to me that he'd be bored with the "episodic" bullshit that Picard was always doing. (Opening lines: "Here we are parked in fucknowhere with our scientists doing some boring shit while we busy ourselves by trying to learn how to play an instrument or put on a play or some other gay bullshit and.. oh thank god is that a distress call?")

What I guess I missed is how the three survivors of the Franklin built up that red shirt army. The planet was abandoned, right? Did it go "find mining drones & magic ugly juice > create bee swarm > piracy and conscription?"

Also, Admiral Akbar would have realized the implication of how easily they navigated the asteroids. But Kirk plowing into a trap is perfectly canon.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
What I guess I missed is how the three survivors of the Franklin built up that red shirt army. The planet was abandoned, right? Did it go "find mining drones & magic ugly juice > create bee swarm > piracy and conscription?"

Also, Admiral Akbar would have realized the implication of how easily they navigated the asteroids. But Kirk plowing into a trap is perfectly canon.
They mentioned in like one sentence that the previous inhabitants of the planet left behind their drones and were a mining race. So I assume most people figured it was the bee swarm for mining asteroids and such, but I am pretty sure every faceless was also a drone and the only living things on the planet were the 3 federation immortals and whatever space pirates wanted to show up for the one scene.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Yeah that's as much as I recall the movie telling us or even implying. Literally one or two lines from Elba. Seems to be a "make your own shit up" case to me.

It must have sucked every time they harvested a new race only to find out it was even uglier than the last. Ship of hot nearly nude alien chicks? Nope, butt-faced alien.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Also

When they arrived at the planet and scanned it "oh 0 life forms, just a complex underground tunnel system" except you know, the life forms like the bandits, whiteface, whoever else was there.
Also why would whiteface chick think she could hide a ship with scanners from Krall? HE WAS THE CAPTAIN OF THE SHIP WHEN THAT FUCKER CRASHED! Of course he fucking knows where it is. He even had his captain's logs on there so he was there for a while. Maybe they just assumed he didn't know she existed or something? I know he had some Fed stuff at his camp so he had taken parts from the ship for his camp, obviously, but seems to me he left a lot of important shit still there.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Also

Also why would whiteface chick think she could hide a ship with scanners from Krall? HE WAS THE CAPTAIN OF THE SHIP WHEN THAT FUCKER CRASHED! Of course he fucking knows where it is.
She had no idea that's who he was.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is your vagina so sore from Girlbusters tanking that you have to make it bleed all over this thread?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Is your vagina so sore from Girlbusters tanking that you have to make it bleed all over this thread?
This movie was poorly written, which sucks because Pegg rules, but it was. Has nothing to do with GB. I see a movie almost every week and comment on the ones worth commenting on.

Besides this movie should've been boycotted because gay Sulu and Ohura being better at hand to hand combat than Kirk. That's just SJW pandering, amirite?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I saw this last night and thought it sucked ass.

I went into it not knowing the story, but was hoping it would have some reference to a TOS story or character like the second movie did. But nope, just some random bad buy.

I find it hilarious that the captain of the Franklin found advancedminingtechnology that could easily fuck up the flagship of the federation. And why was he even bothering looking for that artifact? The mining swarm shit he had was retardedly powerful. Looks like he was already good to go to enact revenge.

And what the hell is a "gravitational slipstream". Fucking stupid. I know Trek is built upon technobabble but god damn.

Also, love how crew in their thin-ass uniforms can go hand-to-hand combat with individuals in COMBAT ARMOR and kick their ass.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I saw this last night and thought it sucked ass.

I went into it not knowing the story, but was hoping it would have some reference to a TOS story or character like the second movie did. But nope, just some random bad buy.

I find it hilarious that the captain of the Franklin found advancedminingtechnology that could easily fuck up the flagship of the federation. And why was he even bothering looking for that artifact? The mining swarm shit he had was retardedly powerful. Looks like he was already good to go to enact revenge.

And what the hell is a "gravitational slipstream". Fucking stupid. I know Trek is built upon technobabble but god damn.

Also, love how crew in their thin-ass uniforms can go hand-to-hand combat with individuals in COMBAT ARMOR and kick their ass.
Voyager used gravitational slipstream technology. It's Borg bullshit.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The swarm was inherently flawed in that it required direction from people and could be hacked, since it was reliant on a constant networking of the units. The first engagement was also different in that they did not understand what they were up against. Federation ships obviously posed a thread, because Krall made a point of leading them away from the Yorktown station to facilitate his attack.

Siliconemelons

The swarm was inherently flawed in that it required direction from people and could be hacked, since it was reliant on a constant networking of the units. The first engagement was also different in that they did not understand what they were up against. Federation ships obviously posed a thread, because Krall made a point of leading them away from the Yorktown station to facilitate his attack.
I don't know if he could repair or make more, but the phasers and stuff defiantly destroyed the little swarm ships - that also did not seem to have shields (but would pass through them?) - enough ships and stuff and they would eventually destroy all the little swarm things - however the "size" of the swarm kept changing dependent on when they needed a bigger one etc. - also I thought it was better than into darkness because it did not have a main focus on TOS/TOSMovie plot/character - mostly because I felt Kahn was wasted...although he is not dead - I am sure he will be back in a few movies.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I thought the inherent flaw was that you could beat them by turning on the radio.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
@Xadion-
The impression I got was that it was essentially an abandon mining station from some long gone but more advanced alien civilization that he sort of figured out. There was not any sign of manufacturing that would imply he could make more, but they did not specifically state that he could not do that. It did seem like it was all robots tucked in the landing towers and that the gear was meant to strip mine proto planets in the nebula. They did leave a lot for people to fill in the gaps (Which is good and bad).

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
Wait, wait...did someone actually complain about the fact that they didn't feature a TOS villain in this like they did in the last movie? That Khan reboot shit was terrible. Please don't encourage more of that nonsense.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Shit Red Letter Media liked it. There goes that plinkett review I was waiting for.

Then again mike seemed to say he liked insurrection (purple space bazooka!) and hated the reboot but he shat all over insurrection it as plinkett and praised the reboot - so hopefully they go in character and do a negative review anyway.