Star Trek: Discovery

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If they are really going to go the Anthology route doing the Destiny book series for one season would be fucking amazing, it's easily some of the best books in the universe imo. Though really can't for cast reasons

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
That's a bummer to me, I was hoping for something set post-DS9's Dominion War, with a damaged Federation in an uneasy peace with Kardassians / Romulans / etc.

The furthest the shows have gotten is the few bits in Voyager (ugh, you made me remember Voyager) with Barclay back home, right? Kind of a bummer they don't move forward.

Edit: I mean, I understand the logic - Enterprise barely crawled to four seasons, and now this is just a netshow, so get the max audience by trying to get both TOS and TNG fans, but it has the same issues all prequels do.
O`brien was a chubby dude. But he was SMART and thats what mattered.

My first thoughts on that ship was the Akira class. Then it just looked bad. Big design falloff from the Defiant or even the NX01

akiriacgitopfront1.jpg

Siliconemelons

"Lets do a throw back to this awesome concept art that was not used and .001% of fans know about or remember, it will harken back to the promise that was TOS trek!"

-- "oh yes, good sir, good good that's obviously a good idea in resurrecting trek as a TV series!"

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I don't mind the era it's set in...all I want is a good Star Trek tv show. I miss that very much.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm setting expectations to low, if all they have to show 5 months before launch is a bronze ship

I am really surprised its taking place in the original TOS/TNG/DS9/etc timeline, and not the new movie timeline. seems kinda weird.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Well...the new timeline has a very distinct design aesthetic that tends towards Apple-store meets Babylon-5. The original timeline is something much easier to recreate on a budget.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jesus Christ, make a sequel to TNG/DS9, you can have ALL the camoes. Have it be the enterprise, no gimmicks just solid trek with a bit more of a story arc like DS9 had.

Siliconemelons

Jesus Christ, make a sequel to TNG/DS9, you can have ALL the camoes. Have it be the enterprise, no gimmicks just solid trek with a bit more of a story arc like DS9 had.
Why would people give the viewers what they want? or something that is logical to do?

No, then it cant be ART man! it has to be ART!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just set it 20 years from TNG and you are set. Couldn't agree more.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well...the new timeline has a very distinct design aesthetic that tends towards Apple-store meets Babylon-5. The original timeline is something much easier to recreate on a budget.
I imagine they'll have a lot more freedom in the Prime timeline as well. The movie universe (which is apparently called the Kelvin timeline now) has a lot more riding on it, so having it exist in that timeline would undoubtedly come with a lot of red tape as there'd be a lot of oversight to ensure nothing in the television series ever conflicts with what they might set up in the future and would likely make certain things hands off for that reason. The Prime timeline obviously comes with a lot of boundaries due to what has been set up in other shows, but everything is already laid out.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Just imagine how fucking good TNG would have been if it had been serial in its story telling (Have arcs across the whole season) rather than episodic? Every 2 part episode was almost always fucking great. Even as an episodic show, the character development was great, Data's evolution, Riker becoming more stately, Picard being less obstinate with Q's lessons. The show though was so held back by characters not being able to reference their experiences or failures ect.

The only reason DS9 was able to match or surpass TNG was that reason. The acting on TNG was pretty clearly stronger, and while I feel the writing was equal, the writing on TNG always got hampered by filler episodes and the format. (The same shit that did in Enterprise--the last season of Enterprise is really good, because they swapped away from the semi-episodic format).

Now they have a chance to make a new crew and START the show with a rich serial format like most of the current golden age shows since Sopranos have had...the perfect setting would be right after the last Star Trek film in the prime timeline. As someone said, the all the quadrants nations are weakened by war and civil strife, the Federation plays an uneasy peace between them, but also has to deal with its continued exploration of the other quadrants, and how new technologies taken from the Borg and Jemhidar challenge their morals. Could have been fucking great, instead we get...whatever that piece of shit was.

Siliconemelons

Also no one is going to care about "the federation" or other LARGE things that happen because, we know the future - enterprise had that issue... "THIS THREAT PUTS THE EXISTANCE OF THE FEDERATION OR THE WORLD IN PERIL!" - nah its fine, we know Jean Luc can still make wine in a few years - its good to go.

It really should be after the end of the latest series for that reason alone.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I loved DS9 but the only reason it was so great is because it poached guys from Babylon 5 when it ended and hard core stole its story line, which was brilliant.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Without Garak, Quark, Bashir, and Dax the series would have been substandard even with the plot steal. I mean hell they had to bring Dax back as a tight young hot pocket for Bashir and routinely showed how Garak and Quark were the badasses of their entire species.
Dax went out in season 7, it had nothing to do with "bringing dax back". Bitch went to Becker because DS9 was ending. Also it took 2 seasons for bashir to not suck. And yes without half the cast the show would have sucked.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The Ferengi, Trill, Cardassians, Bajorans, Shape shifters, and Vorta were all well done races fleshed out in DS9 even if half of them had originally been introduced in TNG. By comparison the Voyager races were much less interesting or well done, especially with them abandoning the may-fly race (Ocampa) whose 7 year lifespan was intended to cover the whole series. Enterprise was similarly bad with their attempts at being cool with the Xindi variety of species, although they did up the Vulcan game for the first time in years and produced a great deal of development of the Andorians who had been mostly a footnote in Star Trek despite being one of the primary races of the Federation.