Star Trek: Discovery

spinnaker

reformed lurker
<Bronze Donator>
Kind of disappointed in their choice of era. Starting to think we'll never see any post Dominion War story lines

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Kind of disappointed in their choice of era. Starting to think we'll never see any post Dominion War story lines
Hard to deal with galactic politics and the repercussions of war when you need to make room for sjw drama.

• 1Like

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I can't wait to watch two episodes, think "Ok Fuller, only for your sake I'll come back to this eventually", and then never watch it again.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Bryan Fuller Unloads Details About Upcoming ‘Star Trek Discovery’ Series – TCA

WTF does level of diversity mean? like some black asian muslim tranny?

Level of diversity? Really? These assholes really do think in terms of diversity points LOL..SJW religion decided to official become Scientologists except instead of operating thetan levels (OT) it's Diversity Level (DL). She's got woman, so I guess that's level 2. If she's black, and gay, would she be a level 4? She'd only be beaten then by someone who was a transexual and handicapped....They should do that and go full on supreme level 6.

That said, one of my favorite episodes of TNG was Lower Decks. Where the main characters were just backdrops, and the focus of the episode was on Ensigns who were trying to climb the ladder. Show was really cool because it kind of showed how legendary the main characters had become to the regular officers, who looked at them like rock stars. Was also cool to see Ensigns got shit sleeping quarters too lol.

But on that note...what's this talk about "main character"...Star Trek was always an ensemble show. It regularly swapped the main character. I know they aren't doing "episodic", but it's entirely possible to still do an ensemble show in a serial format. I think it would be a mistake to have a main character, rather than the ship being the setting and letting the characters play out. (Deadwood, The wire, Downton abbey ect.)

• 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Me every time I remember this is a prequel:
tumblr_n9qldzPifB1smcbm7o1_250.gif

• 1Like

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
More on the show:

“Star Trek Discovery’s” lead character, whom we learned earlier this month would be a female, human non-captain Starfleet officer, will be referred to in the series as “Number One,” showrunner Bryan Fuller told me during a radio chat late Saturday. "When we introduce our protagonist, she is called 'Number One' in honor of Majel Barrett's character in the original pilot ["The Cage," which starred Jeffrey Hunter as Capt. Christopher Pike]. And as we were first talking about the series, talking to CBS, we said intially we will only call this character Number One." Fuller added that we will learn Number One's real name before the end of the first season.

First season will also have 13 episodes.

Based on what's been revealed about the show so far, Majel Barrett's character certainly seems like a strong possibility of who will be the center of the show. Despite being just a title, it seems odd they'd have a character from the same time period called the same thing and have her be someone else. She also fits all the other criteria that's been revealed so far, but the fact that they're revealing her name later makes it sound like they're setting up for some big twist.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
10 yrs before the original?.....hmm how about #1 being riker or pikard's great-grandmother...since tng takes place 109 yrs post this series start. with advances in medical, i am assuming 30-40 years between generations which wouldn't be unreasonable,

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
10 years before the original is complete garbage.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
10 yrs before, we can deal with klingons and romulans as the bad guys..............once again.

the main issue is, being a "prequel"... we all know what happens subsequent so if they change something. bam fans up in arms.

"but but xxxx was not discovered until season x episode y..." or TNG did it better, or voyager or ds9 or OS...or the cartoon.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's not quite that simple. There are a decent amount of books post Nemesis (the last thing to happen). I guess I'll spoiler in case anyone wants to read the books. This is mostly just broad shots at what some of the books cover. I highly recommend the Destiny book series (covers 3 ships, Enterprise Titan and Aventine during a Borg invasion).

Off the top of my head, the Borg invaded in force and are no more. There is another power alliance with the Romulans, Breen, etc (Typhoon Pact). The Federation president was Assassinated (inside job). DS9 was destroyed and rebuilt, the wormhole was inaccessible for a few years. Data is sort of back?

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
It's not quite that simple. There are a decent amount of books post Nemesis (the last thing to happen). I guess I'll spoiler in case anyone wants to read the books. This is mostly just broad shots at what some of the books cover. I highly recommend the Destiny book series (covers 3 ships, Enterprise Titan and Aventine during a Borg invasion).

Off the top of my head, the Borg invaded in force and are no more. There is another power alliance with the Romulans, Breen, etc (Typhoon Pact). The Federation president was Assassinated (inside job). DS9 was destroyed and rebuilt, the wormhole was inaccessible for a few years. Data is sort of back?
Never read the books except for one called The Lost Years by J.M. Dillard and that was a long time ago in a far away... wrong thread.

Inque

FunEmployed
Show is delayed until May. Fucking knew it after seeing that teaser trailer, no footage, nothing else to premiere. Too soon.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

Why blow up DS9? Everything is stupid and I hate it.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I was kind of meh about this to begin with but I love me some trek. Though some of the shit fuller has been talking about in relation to diversity makes me think they are going to go out of their way to push the sjw's agenda instead of being organically diverse, which is what star trek always seemed to me.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
When he is at full power Bryan Fuller is an absolute genius, even if it isn't always appreciate (hi Pushing Daisies). Perhaps this latest delay is affording him the time to get everything right.

Alternately it might reflect CBS having cold-feet about anchoring this to their premium channel that absolutely no one wants for any other reason...especially when they already own Showtime. I figure some analysis demonstrated that with the level of market saturation that already exists for Showtime (which is almost always bundled with HBO on cable systems) they would not make significantly more money by putting Trek on there.

Last edited: