Star Wars Novels (Keep your EU shit out of here!)

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Is there anything in the new cannon that is post Episode 6 other than Aftermath? I can't fucking tell

Is there anything else I should read even if pre 6?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
So far Aftermath is the only post EP6 novel. What you 'should read' is very subjective. There's probably nothing in any current novel that will be important in EP7. But there are 2 novels set post EP4 where at least some of the characters will still be alive in EP7. "Heir to the Jedi" and "Battlefront". Battlefront doesn't ship until Nov 3rd.

Plus, if you are watching the Rebels series, "A New Dawn" could be considered important.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'll probably check out the two post Ep4 ones then.

I don't really know how I feel about Aftermath as a book. It doesn't really feel like anything happened, and a lot of the characters fell flat. I like the Bounty Hunter and the Imperial guy, and the kid could be okay. I can't really figure out how to put it in words. It just felt like a lot of nothing.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
At this point I'm through most of the books, and about 3/4 of the comics. Lost Stars is definitely the best book I have read so far, seeing major events through Imperial eyes was pretty awesome. Aftermath was indeed a slog, it just wasn't good except for the interludes which gave the most hints as to what was to come in the new movies. Overall, everything has basically been setting up the ISB, kind of the Imperial gestapo as a major force moving forward. Its my guess
the ISB ends up being the First Order

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I'm probably a third of the way through aftermath. The writing is killing me. He keeps talking in incomplete sentences that make it sound like open mic night at a coffee house. I smell coffee and hear snapping fingers.

Shit like "Vader. Palpatine. Dead." WTF motherfucker, what teacher taught you that shit was even 1 sentence, much less 3? I don't want no hipster poetry in my star wars books.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Hey is lost stars a comic book? I notice it's got a writer and an illustrator, that usually means comic book. But it's hard cover, 500+ pages and not published by the usual comic book people as far as I can tell.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
So far Aftermath is the only post EP6 novel. What you 'should read' is very subjective. There's probably nothing in any current novel that will be important in EP7. But there are 2 novels set post EP4 where at least some of the characters will still be alive in EP7. "Heir to the Jedi" and "Battlefront". Battlefront doesn't ship until Nov 3rd.

Plus, if you are watching the Rebels series, "A New Dawn" could be considered important.
There was another book the name escapes me that released at the same time as aftermath that at least the ending of the book is post EP6 and gives some more insight onto the chaos of what happened after the victory at endor for the rebels.

Edit its lost stars bah need to read full thread before replying. It was a much more interesting book for me than aftermath not as much as post ep 6 content but it gives an interesting view from the imperial side.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The lost stars books do not show up in the timeline in the front of aftermath. I wonder what's up with that.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'm about half way through Lost Stars and the writing is leaps and bounds ahead of Aftermath. It's a much more enjoyable book

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I swear I thought I read about this here already, but I can't find it. Does anyone else think that's thrawn at the end of aftermath? Do we have anything from disney confirming or denying that? If it's not, it seems like a thrawn-inspired character and would be disney purposely shitting all over the EU for no reason.

Not going to put it in spoilers, because it's not really central to the book. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say it was an afterthought.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I swear I thought I read about this here already, but I can't find it. Does anyone else think that's thrawn at the end of aftermath? Do we have anything from disney confirming or denying that? If it's not, it seems like a thrawn-inspired character and would be disney purposely shitting all over the EU for no reason.

Not going to put it in spoilers, because it's not really central to the book. In fact, if I had to guess, I'd say it was an afterthought.
We discussed it on the first page, but not in very much detail:

I haven't read any yet but I heard there was a possible hint to one of the best eu characters at the end of aftermath...

Thrawn
I thought the same thing Kovaks, but apparently it is the Andy Serkis character from Episode VII. I may be wrong, but if it really were that character then

why not hint about his red eyes when they described his gaze at the very end? Even a throwaway line about blue skin would have sufficed.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Picked up Tarkin and New Dawn this weekend. About 10% into Tarkin and its pretty cool so far. Already the ISB has been mentioned,
strengthening my belief that they end up forming the First Order.
There are definite points that are hit in all the comics and novels I have read so far, they can't be for nothing.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
We discussed it on the first page, but not in very much detail:
You know what I learned just now? The search function in firefox will not search inside of unexpanded spoiler tags. That's why i couldn't find it.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Reading the novelization of The Force Awakens now and I ran into something that I think is a first for me. I ran across something that was explained better in the movie than in the book. This was when Poe and Finn were making their escape. In the book Poe was just flying around like a crazy-man having Finn destroy weapons emplacements in order to 'hurt' the first order. In the movie he made it clear he wanted the weapons gone to clear a path for their escape.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
star-wars-bloodlines-posters.jpg

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Royal, was that from bloodlines? I'm almost done with that book now and I guess it would fit.

Edit: Just looked at the name of the pic and I guess it is.

I gotta say, the way they handled that revelation was beyond fucking stupid. Who gives a shit about all she did to defeat the empire and how staunchly opposed she is to a strong central government, the sperm donor who tortured her the only time they met is much more important! The one guy being so upset he puked was like a jump the shark moment.

BTW, looks like the first order isn't rising from the ISB. Although I guess they could have still been in on it early.