Star Wars Novels (Keep your EU shit out of here!)

Fadaar

That guy
Fuck, I haven't read a Star Wars book since the X-Wing (Rogue/Wraith squadrons) series but the Thrawn one might be required reading.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
They've announced a couple of new novels that will be coming out. One about Jyn Erso's time with Saw Gerrera titled Rebel Rising by Beth Revis and a Cirrut and Baze book called Guardians of the Whills by Greg Rucka. They're both for younger readers (young adult and mid-grade respectively) and I've never read anything by either author so I don't know if I'll be picking them up or not. Hopefully they'll release some excerpts of each.

edit: Actually they have released an excerpt for the Jyn book.

http://books.disney.com/content/uploads/2017/01/Rebel-Rising-chs-1-2.pdf

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haka

N00b
I've never read a Star Wars book in my life, but the Thrawn one looks pretty good. Am I going to be able to follow it or should I read other books first?

• 1Like

Royal

I've never read a Star Wars book in my life, but the Thrawn one looks pretty good. Am I going to be able to follow it or should I read other books first?

You can but just know that they are no longer canon. The new novel is supposed to be about Thrawn's beginning with the Empire so the Legends books shouldn't be required one way or the other.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Thrawn novel should stand on its own, they aren't relying on any knowledge of old EU (legends) stuff as a basis going into these books, but having said that they are re-releasing the original Thrawn trilogy this spring I believe and the new novel should be a great precursor to those.
As for the upcoming YA novels based off Rogue One, Greg Rucka is a very highly respected comic book writer, I have really enjoyed some of his stuff but it can have the tendency to go off the deep end sometimes. I have enjoyed the SW stuff he has done so far though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Thrawn novel should stand on its own, they aren't relying on any knowledge of old EU (legends) stuff as a basis going into these books, but having said that they are re-releasing the original Thrawn trilogy this spring I believe and the new novel should be a great precursor to those.

Are you talking about the books with the new artwork for the covers? Those came out a few months ago. I don't know that the Thrawn trilogy has actually ever been out of print.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
yeah I meant the originals, I had a crossed wire in my brain when I posted that. Had been looking into the Rogue One tie in books coming out soon and mis-spoke.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Miguex Miguex
Royal Royal
How do you guys recommend tackling the new books? Would you go by publication date or attempt to go chronological? I ask because I see there are characters from the earlier books popping up in descriptions for later books. Aftermath 3 looks good and feel like I should read some others before I do the Aftermath trilogy.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Going by publication date would be a good bet, but by next month you could just crush the Aftermath trilogy all in one fell swoop. Although there are some characters that appear in more than one book (Rae Sloane for one), there isn't much dependence on knowing any kind of ongoing story with any of them. Aside from Aftermath they are all kind of self contained stories for the most part. Personally, I would probably start with Lost Stars because it does such a great job of showing you both sides of the war from a human perspective and it was the second book published under the new ownership, and then go from there. New Dawn kind of presupposes that you have at least a little familiarity with the crew on the Rebels TV show, as does Ahsoka.

• 1Solidarity

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Cool, thanks bud. I'll probably start with New Dawn. I've just completed the 3rd rewatch of Rebels cause I got the wife interested.

Rae Sloane was the character I saw in more than one book description.

• 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
small caveat that I still haven't finished New Dawn. I found it hard to get into, so I put it aside and since then there's been a steady enough stream of SW novels that I haven't gotten back to it to restart and finish. However, I know that it is pretty well liked by the fan base. Also, don't let Lost Stars catergorization as a Young Adult novel throw you off, that book fucking rules.

Royal

I can't speak to the Aftermath trilogy because that's one that I haven't read yet.

Overall I wouldn't necessarily tie myself to a strict chronological order because some of the books do feed into others in different ways. I would read Tarkin before Catalyst for example even though, strictly speaking, Catalyst comes before it in the timeline. Doing that gives you a better appreciation of how Krennic was playing with fire in his attempt to secure his place in the Imperial leadership. And obviously Catalyst before the Rogue One novelization (if you read those).

Beyond that, everything else I have read (Battlefront:Twilight Company, Lords of the Sith, Lost Stars, Bloodline, Ahsoka) has stood on it's own fairly well. I started with Lost Stars and it has been the gem of the lot for me so far.

edit: I haven't read many of the comics but you might want to consider reading the Kanan series before starting New Dawn. I recently read the first TBP for that one and intend to get the other soon. I looks like they will do a good job of setting up his character.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I'm keeping up with all the comics and you make a good call about the Kanan series, it does set a great base for his character which would feed well into New Dawn and especially the tv series. Aside from that, none of them tie much into anything really going on in the novels so far, but they all do contribute interesting things into the mythology like how Darth Vader figured out that the pilot that blew up Death Star 1 was his son (Darth Vader series), or that Palpatine was collecting Sith artifacts and those items continue to contain corruption and evil that can seep out into people near them, which ties in to how the Jedi seemed to have no ability to detect anything going on right under their noses in the prequels (Lando series).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Halfway through Kanan's comic, good stuff so far. Thanks for the heads up. I'll dive into New dawn tonight. It's hard to belive I ignored Rebels for a season and a half because I though it would be too kid-ish. A fool I was...

Royal

It's hard to belive I ignored Rebels for a season and a half because I though it would be too kid-ish. A fool I was...

I've mentioned it in another thread but Freemaker Adventures is the most kiddish of all of the Star Wars offerings I've seen so far but even that is entertaining as a decidedly humorous take on the franchise. Even adults can appreciate the levity of it in the midst of some heavier stories (to borrow from Miguex) though they aren't canon.

Last edited:

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Kanan comic was great. Second volume started slow but picked back up at the end. Good to see the Fenn Rau cameo as well. The Rae Sloane appearance has me interested.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
New Darth Maul series just hit the comic stores this week, just a heads up. Kind of a before the prequels series.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Darth Vader and Vader Down were awesome. Finished those today. Worth a read for BT-1 and Triple Zero alone lol.

About halfway through New Dawn, haven't had much reading time lately, but it's pretty good so far.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Darth Vader and Vader Down were awesome. Finished those today. Worth a read for BT-1 and Triple Zero alone
Those droids continue on in the new Doctor Aphra comic that just started, it's on issue 4 now. It's been pretty good so far and there's a big three way crossover coming in a few issues with the main Star Wars comic that they are hyping quite a bit.

Royal

Doctor Aphra is probably the leading candidate for a Star Wars character that originated in the comic books showing up in their own movie. I know I'd rather see a movie centered on her than a Boba Fett flick.

• 1Solidarity