Star Wars Novels (Keep your EU shit out of here!)

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Adding something to the theory that the mysterious admiral at the end of Aftermath is Thrawn... Thrawn is now officially canon. Skip to 1:44 if you don't want to see the full trailer for season 3 of Star Wars Rebels (looks awesome).
https://youtu.be/xmXp802sFgQ

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Is there a good resource for new canon stuff in the disney verse? I'd like to read this stuff, but I don't really follow when things come out. I think I read 2-3 of the new ones

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Most of them have been mentioned in this thread, but they did a cool thing when Disney started publishing the new canon paperbacks. All the old EU stuff that doesn't count now says Legends right on the spines of the books, and the canon books are all about a half inch taller than all the old stuff, so they really stand out on the shelves. I'd definitely start with Lost Stars, Aftermath isn't great at all but it's going to be a trilogy ending with more battle of Jakku stuff so it's probably relatively important, and I really enjoyed Dark Disciple, the Asajj Ventriss book, which also establishes some Jedi abilities that already have shown up in TFA.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
It's Legends related but they are re-releasing the Thrawn trilogy with new cover art:

Thrawn.jpg

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Is there a good resource for new canon stuff in the disney verse? I'd like to read this stuff, but I don't really follow when things come out. I think I read 2-3 of the new ones

I'm sure it's on the internet somewhere, but I'm kinda lazy. I just look at the timeline in the front of the books. Pick up any of the books and it'll give you the titles of all the new canon books that have been published or are planning on being published in the near future (as of whenever that book was published).

RE Dark Disciple. I got it and put it down when I realized it was an addendum to the clone wars cartoon. I never watched the cartoon, but now that it's one of the few canon pieces left remaining, I intend to. Unless someone tells me there's no reason to wait on dark disciple, I'll save it till I'm done with the clone wars series.

Royal

I'm about 1/3 of the way through one I haven't seen mentioned yet, Lords of the Sith. It's set between Revenge of the Sith and Tarkin and, so far, has been largely concerned with Cham Syndulla's Free Ryloth Movement. It features Vader and the Emperor prominently (hence the title) and has the same vibe as the Vader Down comics in how Vader is depicted; ie. smashing faces.

The writing has been pretty good. Close to Lost Stars caliber.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Okay thanks. Was wondering if I would be able to catch up from the collections but it definitely sounds like it since its finished.

Royal

The host of Collider Jedi Council (Kristian Harloff) was raving about how good Catalyst is this week. He said it goes into a lot of the background story of the relationship between Galen Erso and Orson Krennic extending all the way back to the Clone Wars and that it also deals a lot with the science and lore of kyber crystals. It's the first SW novel he's said is a must read before seeing the movie because it lays too much background to not inform your viewing of the movie (though I know some people specifically want to avoid that).

Royal

I just finished Catalyst and it was much more of an exclusively intimate story than the other SW novels I've read. Erso and Krennic occupy the vast majority of it but Tarkin also shows up and Luceno just nails his dialog. By the end of it you can get a pretty good idea on how Krennic will end up strong-arming Galen Erso to work on the Death Star and why the scientist is willing to sew the seeds of the battlestation's eventual destruction.

Royal

They're calling this a spoiler review and while they do talk about specifics they paint in largely broad strokes for the most part.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Reading aftermath life debt right now. I just got to the chapter where they introduced the gender fluid pirate captain. At first, I thought the ZHE shit was a typo.

I don't know if I can finish the book if that character has a big part. I barely made it through the chapter. Did anyone else think it was retarded? I still haven't seen anything that indicates her race, so I'm holding out hope it's some androgynous lizard person.

Royal

I haven't read either of the Aftermath books yet. My understanding is that Aftermath itself is a real slog and while Life Debt is supposed to be much better, you really need to read the first one because of how it establishes so many of the characters in the second. Is that what you have found so far?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I didn't think the first one was a slog, but I'm a slow reader, so maybe that plays a part in it. There's a decided lack of jedi in the series. That could be the reason for the negative reviews.

They do re-use the same main characters. From what I've seen so far, you could probably read #2 first, then go back later to read 1 and get the story on how they hooked up. But I wouldn't do that cause it'd make me twitchy knowing I was reading them in the wrong order.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Thrawn (Star Wars) by Timothy Zahn | PenguinRandomHouse.com

“I study the art of war. Work to perfect it.”
—Grand Admiral Thrawn

One of the most cunning and ruthless warriors in the history of the Galactic Empire, Grand Admiral Thrawn is also one of the most captivating characters in the Star Wars universe. From his introduction in bestselling author Timothy Zahn’s classic Heir to the Empire, through his continuing adventures in Dark Force Rising, The Last Command, and beyond, Grand Admiral Thrawn has earned an iconic status among Star Wars’ greatest villains. But Thrawn’s origins and the story of his rise in the Imperial ranks have remained mysterious. Now, in Star Wars: Thrawn, Timothy Zahn chronicles the fateful events that launched the blue-skinned, red-eyed master of military strategy and lethal warfare into the highest realms of power—and infamy.

After Thrawn is rescued from exile by Imperial soldiers, his deadly ingenuity and keen tactical abilities swiftly capture the attention of Emperor Palpatine. And just as quickly, Thrawn proves to be as indispensable to the Empire as he is ambitious; as devoted as its most loyal servant, Darth Vader; and a brilliant warrior never to be underestimated. On missions to rout smugglers, snare spies, and defeat pirates, he triumphs time and again—even as his renegade methods infuriate superiors while inspiring ever greater admiration from the Empire. As one promotion follows another in his rapid ascension to greater power, he schools his trusted aide, Ensign Eli Vanto, in the arts of combat and leadership, and the secrets of claiming victory. But even though Thrawn dominates the battlefield, he has much to learn in the arena of politics where ruthless administrator Arihnda Pryce holds the power to be a potent ally or a brutal enemy.

All these lessons will be put to the ultimate test when Thrawn rises to admiral—and must pit all the knowledge, instincts, and battle forces at his command against an insurgent uprising that threatens not only innocent lives but also the Empire’s grip on the galaxy—and his own carefully laid plans for future ascendancy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users