Star Wars Rebels

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
3rd time through. An almost perfect episode.
Goodbye Maul. A fitting ending.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Royal Royal am I nuts or did the ending of that episode not put us precisely inside the opening moments of ANH? That call to Luke from Beru cannot be a throwaway.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Royal Royal am I nuts or did the ending of that episode not put us precisely inside the opening moments of ANH? That call to Luke from Beru cannot be a throwaway.

I'm assuming they just used the same audio recording for a hit of nostalgia. Her yelling for Luke is something that probably happens often. It's still 2 years before the Battle of Yavin.

Timeline of canon media

BBY stands for Before the Battle of Yavin, and ABY stands for After the Battle of Yavin. (The Battle of Yavin ended with the destruction of the first Death Star, or if you prefer, the end of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Yeah it sounded like the same audio to me to but as Abe said, we're still before the time of ANH (it was 2 years at the start of the season so maybe a year to 18 months now??)

edit: I read in an interview with Filoni that they used an alternate take from ANH for Beru's voice.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Royal

3rd time through. An almost perfect episode.
Goodbye Maul. A fitting ending.

After watching it a second time I'm thinking a little better of it. I guess it's not so much that the episode itself was lacking but it underscores some of the problems I have with the series overall.

My favorite part actually had nothing to do with Maul or Kenobi. It was Ezra and Chopper (which I'm sure puts me very much in the minority). That moment when they were wandering across the desert when Chopper begins to loose power and Ezra falls into despair, realizing the situation he's put them in. His actions have put someone he cares about in danger (and a droid no less, which has been a recurring theme within Star Wars; the good guys care about their droids as if they were people). But it shouldn't require big-leaguers like Maul or Ben Kenobi to set that situation up in a way that viewers care about deep into the show's third season.

Rebels has come to rely too much on legacy characters to build interest. Which is fine if it is paired with building and developing it's original characters in the process so that it eventually doesn't need those legacy figures (which this episode did, a little, so I give it credit there). But for the most part it hasn't. When they do engage in it they have shown they can do it well, Sabine this season for example. But there should be more of it and they should be more consistent in how they handle the characters from episode to episode. Ezra is such an amorphous blob of a character at this point because they so often use him to fill whatever role they need in a given episode. In the last droid episode for example, if you didn't know beforehand could you even guess that Ezra is a force sensitive padawan learner? That's the product of lazy writing. Even shows nominally targeted to a youth audience can't be commended when they suffer from that.

Last edited:

Royal

I was going back over the previous episodes from this season, doing a shorthand separation of the wheat from the chaff, and I remembered that Maul had threatened the rebels earlier this season by informing them that there was a beacon that would disclose the location of Chopper Base to the Empire in the event of his death. I wonder if that is still in play and will end up being how Thrawn finds them, with Maul having recently died. Or if they just assume the audience no longer remembers that and gives Thrawn some love by showing him figuring it out on his own.

• 1Solidarity

Qhue

Trump's Staff
As others mentioned previously: Thrawn has an eidetic memory and will likely notice which planet from his list was replaced when they messed with his stuff.

The ending for Maul was perfect. He was as much as a victim of Palpatine as anyone else and could at least die with some faith that Sidious was finally gonna get what has been coming to him.

It is telling how much of a nerd I am that I watch that preview above and go "pffft I don't see no Interdictor Class Star Destroyer... newbs"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I thought the episode was short, apparently I wasn't alone. I liked the battle, that's closer to how most real sword fights would go. It's not surprising that OB1 knew who ezra was. In the EU kenobi was keeping very limited contact with Yoda and some resistance cells. I won't be surprised if the Kenobi stand alone film keeps that bit and expands on it.

I completely missed that he referred to Luke as the chosen one, but TBH, that's a theory that has been around for a while. Many theories actually. Anywhere from the Force choosing Luke when Anakin failed, to Anakin's role really only being to prepare the way for Luke like John the Baptist did for Jesus.

Royal

Considering that Chopper had charged back up before Ezra woke up Ben finding out about Ezra and why he was there from the droid is a pretty logical conclusion.

As for Ben considering Luke to be the Chosen One I think that's just the way he sees it at that point in his life. It's probably something he convinced himself of to reconcile what ultimately became of Anakin and how he motivated himself to carry on with his lonely watch over Luke. But that doesn't make it a fact. It comes down to something that I know tends to drive the canon junkies nuts. These fictional characters, even the ones who are established as being wise, aren't omniscient. They can be mistaken, delusional, and misled. Sometimes they even lie.

Last edited:

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
It comes down to something that I know tends to drive the canon junkies nuts. These fictional characters, even the ones who are established as being wise, aren't omniscient. They can be mistaken, delusional, and misled. Sometimes they even lie.

That reminds me of a book in the EU where Luke ran across someone who claimed to know his mother and went on a search for her. When the prequels happened and his mom wasn't a member of The Circle, canon junkies went apeshit. But the fact is, in the book you never got any evidence that the stranger was telling the truth, you just had her story that she used to get Luke to help her. She was obviously either wrong or lying, and they based an entire book on it.

Royal

Yeah I've mentioned before in one of the Star Wars discussions that one of the spectrums that fans fall along is lore building vs. story telling. The ones who fall closer to the lore building end highly value learning about the world that the stories take place in and once they learn something they want it to "stay learned" so to speak. If something comes along later that invalidates or undermines their established understanding of the galaxy far, far away then they tend to protest because they've invested themselves more into the franchise as a fact finding exercise.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
So because Anakin killed the Emperor at the end of ROTJ does that mean he still fulfilled the prophecy?

Royal

So because Anakin killed the Emperor at the end of ROTJ does that mean he still fulfilled the prophecy?

I think that was Lucas' intent was when he made the prequels. I've always hated the whole prophecy, the Chosen One mythology, and his idea of what constituted "balance in the force" though. If that ends up slowly evolving into something else over time it's not gonna ruffle my feathers any. I don't think they'll ever do that though. Lucas still draws a lot of water inside of the halls of Lucasfilm, even though he's not formally involved.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
I've mostly ignored the prophecy junk, and chalked it up to Jedi clinging to their dogma. Who gave the prophecy? Have they given others? Have they been correct before? If the force wants something done, it'll make it happen.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I've mentioned before in one of the Star Wars discussions that one of the spectrums that fans fall along is lore building vs. story telling. The ones who fall closer to the lore building end highly value learning about the world that the stories take place in and once they learn something they want it to "stay learned" so to speak. If something comes along later that invalidates or undermines their established understanding of the galaxy far, far away then they tend to protest because they've invested themselves more into the franchise as a fact finding exercise.

I've never seen it put so well. I'm definitely on the lore end of the spectrum. What keeps me sane is remembering that some characters can lie, fake evidence, or just be wrong.

Fadaar

That guy
I've mostly ignored the prophecy junk, and chalked it up to Jedi clinging to their dogma. Who gave the prophecy? Have they given others? Have they been correct before? If the force wants something done, it'll make it happen.

Like 99% of the prequels I'm pretty sure it was bullshit writing that wasn't given enough forethought.

• 1Like

Royal

FYI the finale is airing early (or late, depending on how you typically watch it); 11:00 AM Saturday morning and encored throughout the day. The early on demand/app streams aren't available per usual with the finales.

But that's not to say it's not already out there ...

Thrawn got his moment to shine but none of his strokes of genius seemed all that impressive. He didn't even manage to dispose of Kallus once he had him firmly in hand. So in the end the rebels loose some ships, a bunch of randoms, their base, and Sato.

Thrawn failed in his objective but I guess he can take consolation in that it took an impressive showing by the Bendu to deny him an overwhelming victory. One interesting thing about the ending was the Bendu vanishing after Thrawn shoots him. That's gonna open up comparisons to Ben's body disappearing when Vader killed him and discussion about the possibility that the Jedi aren't the only ones able to manifest themselves as force ghosts after death but that "grey" types can as well.

This was easily the weakest of the finales but I guess that's fitting for what I think is also the weakest of the show's 3 seasons. I've re-watched Twilight of the Apprentice several times since S2 and I've binged all of S1 beginning to end a few times. This finale isn't even the strongest episode of the season and doubt I'll ever be re-watching it. It's not bad it's just more of a once you've seen it you're good type of episode.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I am glad Thrawn lives for another season, he didn't really live up to his legend from the EU. Also glad they didn't fuck up the canon by having the rebels win, since Rogue One is the first rebel victory.

• 1Like

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Also the writing is sloppy when the 1st Inderdictor captain randomly decides to fuck thrawn, had he just listened none of this would have happened.