Star Wars Rebels

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Interestingly they had the space-Japanese commander execute a kamikaze.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Rebels Recon for the finale closes with a piece of concept art from next season that is rather ... ominous.

• 1Like

Royal

They may not have access to Boba if the movie rumors are true.

Quite possibly. Though that depends on when they intend the Fett movie (which I think is almost a certainty) to be set. If it is set in the period between the Clone Wars and ANH then Rebels will probably not use him so as to give the screen writers more freedom to write what they wish. But if they're going to go with him surviving post RoTJ or with that idea of Boba Fett becoming more of a mantle identity after his death then the Rebels creators should be able to use him.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Spoilering for general discussion safety

As per my earlier comment about the preview i was immediately impressed when they tried to hyperjump out and failed during the opening segment.

Although the leadership survived it was a suitably strong rout for the Rebels, especially given Mon Mothma's reluctance to send in any additional reinforcements. It also sets up elements of Rogue One nicely in that the Empire could be forgiven for thinking they eradicated what little bit of a Rebel 'fleet' existed in the form of the Carrier plus Nebulon-B Frigates there at Atollon.

I should have forseen that they would need to resolve the Bendu plotline since they were leaving the planet and he was suitably chaotic neutral in his reaction to everything going on. It also sets up elements of Thrawn's extreme dislike of the Force.

One major takeaway from the end is that they are indeed all going to Yavin, so we are definitely getting closer to the natural end of the series. I had thought that they would spend some time on Dantooine first, but I guess no.

• 1Like

Royal

I had thought they would go on to Dantooine myself after they got wrecked at Atollon. My take on them bypassing it is that they are accelerating towards wrapping the series up. So next season may well be the last one.

My only reservation against that is the impact it could have on being able to sell the series in syndication; 100 episodes is the magic number for syndication since that provides a 20 week package of Monday thru Friday daily episodes . They would need a fifth season to hit that number.

I hadn't really thought that Disney/Lucasfilm would even be considering the show for syndication since they have so many of their own platforms to offer the show on after it is finished (plus their relationship with Netflix). Not until this past season that is. Loosening the narrative ties between individual episodes and making them more standalone is the hallmark of grooming a series for syndication since it makes it easier to show them out of sequence and they have certainly been going more in that direction. And the original loose blueprint for the series was six seasons, so if they are accelerating things it could be towards five seasons total instead of four. We'll have a better idea after Celebration in a couple of weeks.

Royal

Looks like we'll get a chance to see Hera at least once more over the summer.

• 1Solidarity

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Freaking Master Shake as a Hutt cracks me up every time I hear him.

• 1Like

Royal

Yeah Graballa is probably my favorite character on that show though honestly all of the mainliners in season 1 were good. His dialog is just so well written for Dana Snyder's delivery. I'm guessing that shot was of him breaking ground on his beachside resort.

Last edited:

Royal

As many suspected they confirmed the series is ending with S4.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Royal

I'd be sadder about it if it didn't feel like the series was starting to falter a bit in S3. They're running out of compelling stories to tell, in part, because they haven't really sewn enough seeds for them throughout the previous seasons. It's started to seem more like a series that invested itself in trying to wrap up loose ends left with characters from The Clone Wars when the plug was abruptly pulled on that series.

They didn't formally announce a new series during the Rebels panel but Filoni strongly hinted that a new one is in fact coming. Hopefully it will be one in which they aren't so hampered from looking forward by constantly looking back to unfinished business. It will only be 15 episodes which should mean minimal filler.

Oh and ...

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Royal

Star Wars Rebels Becoming Much More Serialized in Final Season - IGN

God I hope this ends up being the case. It goes back to my point above (and others made weeks ago) about filler and the narrative threads of the series becoming too disjointed. If S4 is essentially one long story arc it should go out as good as it came in, even if the tone is very different than it was in the beginning. They did show the S4 opener at Celebration and it looks like they're going darker right out of the gate (there are spoilers for it out there if you care to look. I won't post it here).

• 1Like

Royal

A little more on the "Ahsoka Lives!" business.

Filoni said something to the effect of she would return but not in a way people would be expecting. In short, I think he's actually running with the idea that Ashley Eckstein put out there when she was asked at last years celebration what she thought happened to the character.

That her fate was somehow linked to the Daughter of Mortis, whose last remaining life force was drained to save Ahsoka's life. And that brings us to the convor (the monkey-tailed owl) that appeared at the end of the TotA episode.

Filoni has said it was the avatar of a character that has appeared in a Star Wars animated series before. Some have guessed that he was talking about the Daughter because the color pattern of it's plumage matches her appearance. And if you then look at the Topps series of Ahsoka cards that Filoni did the artwork for:

ahsokacards.png

With the key cards being (spoiled for size)...

star-wars-rebels-dave-filoni-topps-artist-series-cards-ahsoka-tano-06.png

star-wars-rebels-dave-filoni-topps-artist-series-cards-ahsoka-tano-08.png
topps-artist-series-dave-filoni-10.jpg

So we may very well have actually seen "Ahsoka" in the trailer ...

kanan_wolf.jpg

... in the form of a wolf as her avatar.

Why a wolf? Filoni has said in the past that the inspiration for the character was San from Princess Mononoke.

mononoke.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Royal

An interesting aside.

The reason Hera was named dropped in Rogue One is because of her upcoming appearance on Freemaker Adventures.

• 1Like

Royal

Filoni threw a little gas on that running Ahsoka returns theory when he answered a question about it in a recent interview:

"You'll see something of Ahsoka in someway again. We'll have to see what form that takes... Reminds me a bit of what we did on Mortis..."

• 1Solidarity

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
A little more on the "Ahsoka Lives!" business.

Filoni said something to the effect of she would return but not in a way people would be expecting. In short, I think he's actually running with the idea that Ashley Eckstein put out there when she was asked at last years celebration what she thought happened to the character.

That her fate was somehow linked to the Daughter of Mortis, whose last remaining life force was drained to save Ahsoka's life. And that brings us to the convor (the monkey-tailed owl) that appeared at the end of the TotA episode.

Filoni has said it was the avatar of a character that has appeared in a Star Wars animated series before. Some have guessed that he was talking about the Daughter because the color pattern of it's plumage matches her appearance. And if you then look at the Topps series of Ahsoka cards that Filoni did the artwork for:

View attachment 132430

With the key cards being (spoiled for size)...

So we may very well have actually seen "Ahsoka" in the trailer ...

View attachment 132434

... in the form of a wolf as her avatar.

Why a wolf? Filoni has said in the past that the inspiration for the character was San from Princess Mononoke.

View attachment 132435

monkey tailed owl looks like vergere to me. I doubt like hell they'll bring her back in new canon, but when those images were first done, I think EU was the official canon, wasn't it? So maybe they will but she won't have anything to do with the vong.

Also, ashoka looks preggers in that image.