Star Wars : Rogue One

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Know how you know this was a shit Star Wars movie?

Everybody that doesn't really like Star Wars fucking loves this movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Because its a terrible movie. Shit they ripped the prequals over(like putting vader in the last 2 minutes of rots) is the entire concept of this movie. The whole point of this movie was to have a reason to sell vader, AT-AT, death star etc. merchandise and make an easy few bucks off your nostalgia for far superior movies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Because its a terrible movie. Shit they ripped the prequals over(like putting vader in the last 2 minutes of rots) is the entire concept of this movie. The whole point of this movie was to have a reason to sell vader, AT-AT, death star etc. merchandise and make an easy few bucks off your nostalgia for far superior movies.

Or because it gets them more attention (and channel traffic) when they are critical of the franchise. The last time they really got a lot of that was when they did what you pointed out, ripped on the prequels. They gave TFA a not glowing but overall positive review, but how many people cared or remember it? I'm not saying they secretly loved R1 and are just saying otherwise for web hits and attention but they know that playing up the flaws in these movies, being overly critical, and parodizing it is their niche.

They'll move on to the Marvel franchise once the appetite for those has faded a bit more since more of them come out annually. Mike Stoklasa has a novel notion about what comic book movies should aspire to so it will be right in his wheel house.

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Well, maybe, but the points RLM brings up about R1 (and the prequels before that) are valid.

Of course there is web traffic and fun to be hand in triggering overtly sensitive fan-boys who take every criticism of their favorite movie as personal insult. BvS had the same oddly rabid crowd of ultra-fans that surged around the internet trying to shout down every criticism and thereby, ironically, flooding critical reviewers with traffic and ad-revenue. Back in the old days, the Matrix sequels also had that effect on some people who liked them and tried to shout down any and all criticism as 'you're too stupid and didn't get it". Interstellar had it too.

But, for all the theatrics, this doesn't work with a genuinely good movie IMO. Do a Plinkett-Prequel-Style-Video on, dunno, Empire Strikes Back or Godfather 2 or whatever, and it'll probably just get a mild chuckle and be ignored.

You only get the rabid 'you-didn't-like-it-you-must-be-an-idiot-cyber-mob-crowd" when you can trigger the mob by basing your criticism in somewhat valid points (but perhaps weighting the negative vs. the positive differently than some fans would).

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The reason people are critical is because they actually like starwars and would like to see decent movies made from it. They have all the source material in the world to make decent stories out of. Could you imagine a show like Game of Thrones when every character is some monotone piece of shit with no emotional development what so ever. The reason people hated King Geoffrey is because they took the time to build the character and make the shit he did meaningul. In Rouge one it was some stupid teen pop cunt who nobody cares about, plus some best friend father figure who dies in 3 seconds then female who gives a fuck decides he is into the rebel thing so lets go grab a thing.. Really the movie sucked shit not because it was Starwars and not even because of the actors. It sucks giant dicks because shitty writing and a hack director.

• 1Like

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Quoting Rich evans:
AT ST's AT ST's AT ST's AT ST's

• 1Like

Royal

Know how you know this was a shit Star Wars movie?

Everybody that doesn't really like Star Wars fucking loves this movie.

It didn't take us long to hit both ends of the spectrum. In a matter of days I've seen in this thread "the only people who like this movie are the fanboys" and now we have this. It's either the perfect movie that appeals to everyone or a catastrophe that can't appeal to anyone.

Or it's a Star Wars movie that has been nudged outside the confines of this very specific box that the franchise has existed within for a long time. Some people will dislike it for that reason (though there will be plenty of people who dislike it for other reasons as well) while others will find it appealing for the same.

Last edited:

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Fanboys (autists mostly) like this movie because it has Star Warsy things in it, presented with high visual and canonical fidelity. Non-Star-Wars (normies mostly) fans like this movie because explosions. These are not mutual,y exclusive.

Unfortunately, the rest of us are left with a bland story devoid of emotion, and characters that follow suit.

That's not what makes a Star Wars film great. I watched it a second time, and I'm gonna stand by my assessment that this was worse than The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith.

• 2Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I understand Star wars fans judging this film more harshly... I am a huge Star trek fan and I fucking loath the new star trek garbage they put out.

But I have no Star wars nostalgia at all, so I think Rouge one was decent enough to be entertaining.. unlike those fucking Star trek movies that make me want to fucking murder someone. ruined my god damn star trek universe and made Spock an emo faggot.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You mean you don't like it when an armada of ships can be destroyed by the beastie boys. Well once again that movie was directed by the hack piece of trash J J Abrams. Why can't he get allah akbared

• 2Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fanboys (autists mostly) like this movie because it has Star Warsy things in it, presented with high visual and canonical fidelity. Non-Star-Wars (normies mostly) fans like this movie because explosions. These are not mutual,y exclusive.

Unfortunately, the rest of us are left with a bland story devoid of emotion, and characters that follow suit.

That's not what makes a Star Wars film great. I watched it a second time, and I'm gonna stand by my assessment that this was worse than The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith.

One one hand, I think "bland" is a little bit too charitable when describing a story with as many impossible coincidences in a row as Rogue One has. If there were a prequel to Rogue One they would need to retcon an Infinite Improbability Drive into K-2SO's reprogramming. This is kind of a pet peeve of mine though, when a "serious" movie expects me to suspend that much disbelief.

On the other hand, I think the dialog and acting were less bad than the other Star Wars prequels. I've only seen Rogue One once, and the characters didn't seem nearly as cringe-worthy as I remember the other prequels being. I mean, they didn't say anything worth listening to at all in Rogue One, but I don't remember hearing them say anything really WTF worthy either. So I guess "bland" is the perfect way to describe the dialog and characters.

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I watched it a second time, and I'm gonna stand by my assessment that this was worse than The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith.

It's time for Russia, China and North Korea to stop fucking around and just destroy the Internet once and for all.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I understand Star wars fans judging this film more harshly... I am a huge Star trek fan and I fucking loath the new star trek garbage they put out.

But I have no Star wars nostalgia at all, so I think Rouge one was decent enough to be entertaining.. unlike those fucking Star trek movies that make me want to fucking murder someone. ruined my god damn star trek universe and made Spock an emo faggot.
I would consider such an opinion over a fan's, to an extent. If people that know little to nothing about Star Wars liked the movie, that speaks for itself. The general audience is not biased.

Abram's Trek was pretty bad, then again I'm familiar with the original series, Generations, etc.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
You mean you don't like it when an armada of ships can be destroyed by the beastie boys. Well once again that movie was directed by the hack piece of trash J J Abrams. Why can't he get allah akbared

You're dumb, that wasn't in the one JJ directed.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I didn't hate this movie because it was a bad Star Wars movie, I hated it because it was a bad movie, period! If this movie didn't have the Star Wars name attached to it, no one would've liked it. And I agree with the new Star Trek movies being shit as well. It just goes to show you how easy it is to entertain dumb people. Movies like Rogue One pander to the lowest common denominator, and do it very well with big explosions, shitty exposition, and crap loads of CGI. The idiots who like Rogue One and The Force Awakens are the same idiots who told us years ago that Avatar was the greatest movie ever made. How's that movie hold up several years later? Still the greatest movie of all time?

And I'm sorry if it wasn't actually "code 86." I watched Revenge of the Sith all of one time, because watching that shit ball of a movie once was once too many!

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Well yeah? Youre either a fanboy who eats up star wars so anything and everything put out is amazing, or youre not and you can see past STAR WARS and see this was a movie that was a waste.

There are dozens of other more interesting things they could of made a movie about. Instead they went with poorly put together cash grab.

• 1Like

Royal

Abram's Trek was pretty bad, then again I'm familiar with the original series, Generations, etc.

I really liked the first one he did but didn't like the second one. I only have a passing familiarity with the original TV series but I've seen most of the original cast movies (only liked the first couple of those). I never got into the Next Gen stuff or the other series that followed.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm

I agree with everything except being worse than the prequels. At least, this movie didn't try to retcon anything or add bullshit like midichlorians