Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I just took that to be a throwaway joke line from him. Sort of showing his awkward social nature and nothing more. It was a funny little scene in what could've been an overwrought reunion
Oh, I actually laughed out loud at his disrupting of Han and Leia's reunion. That was awesome. I just thought the "red arm" bit was out of place.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
There's still two movies to go. I'm sure they'll find ways to have Rey make mistakes and doubt herself and not be so perfect.

Even Ender bitched out for a while, and that kid was 9000 levels of perfect. (OSC's editor probably forced him to put that one in)

Meanwhile Kylo has passed the point of no return and will quickly harden up and catch Sith AIDS. He has a bitchin scar now, so people will take him more seriously when he lets his glorious hair free. Seriously, the guy went from swinging dick to pussking the moment that helmet came off and never recovered. But throw in a huge scar and urine filled eyeballs and suddenly he's not such a joke.

I'm still open to the possibility of a role reversal. Kylo is just as likely to wind up broken and useless, making seeking revenge on him pointless for Rey. But she could go back to Jakku and cut Scotty into quarter portions for being such a cheap dick. From there it's a swift slide to straight murdering kids and embarrassingly laughable levels of cognitive dissonance, right George?

Here's a fun thing: The spineless traitor appears to have his spine liquefied by Kylo's wicked finishing move. Brutal, and awesomely appropriate!

Yes yes if he actually cut him that deep he wouldn't be in any coma. But I like to think he gets style points for trying. I'm not writing Ben off just because he got beat by a girl. Darth Revan still has a chance to become the guy that hate fucks Bastilla Shan into submission.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
PS: Fuck them for making me wait another two goddamn years to have Luke do so much as speak a word.

(yes I agree it was the only way to give any breathing room to that blitzkrieg of a movie)

Column_sl

shitlord
PS: Fuck them for making me wait another two goddamn years to have Luke do so much as speak a word.

(yes I agree it was the only way to give any breathing room to that blitzkrieg of a movie)
That's one thing I don't agree with them doing. Should be one movie per year.

I get they are trying to milk this for all it's worth by inserting the side stories between the movies, but in this age of ADD you better make that next movie ridiculous if you make people wait that long.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>

Year and a half, ep 8 is May 2017. Catching up on the last 3 pages, and although I'm too tired to quote and post replies to a big number of the "didn't like x" things I saw, a huge number of peoples questions/complaints are addressed in some of the books/comics that have come out that are in the new canon. There are still a number of things that are just going to have to wait to be answered though. I do agree that you shouldn't have to read everything to understand a movie, but it seems like a lot of people are seeking a deeper meaning to things that totally casual fans just would gloss over, somewhat necessitating looking deeper into the backstories and such.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Meanwhile Kylo has passed the point of no return and will quickly harden up and catch Sith AIDS. He has a bitchin scar now, so people will take him more seriously when he lets his glorious hair free.
That glorious hair is there to cover up those hideously large ears. If you think the ebony locks makes him harder to take seriously as a villain you should see him when those truck doors are swinging in the breeze. Driver used to be in the military and I can't imagine how ginormous they must have looked with a high and tight.

Wait. Actually I don't have to imagine ...

icymi-adam-driver-in-profile-161865-a-1398870993-470-75.jpg

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Lol Finn wasn't Han. Han was Han.
In this movie, Han is basically doing what Obi-Wan did in the original; he's the semi-legendary guy that "Luke" heard about who shows up unexpectedly (no sandmen in space), who tells our hero that all those stories about the Force are absolutely true, tries to arrange passage to the Rebellion for "Luke" at the Cantina, goes back to sabotage the death star (to get ships in rather than let them out), and face his failure there (son rather than apprentice), finally letting himself get killed by "Vader" much to the horror of "Luke".

There's bit of role missing (Maz Kanata hands the legendary Lightsaber, not Han), but essentially he is all Obi-Wan. Finn's role is closer to what Han did in the original than anything Han does.

Royal

Finn's role is closer to what Han did in the original than anything Han does.
Yeah much like Han he began completely self-interested in just wanting to get as far away from the First Order as possible. Friendship ended up pulling him into the middle of it all.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
yeah this is obvious? not sure what people don't understand. Han is Obi-wan, Finn is Han. Of course their motivations are different. Han was a mercenary and smuggler and was only in it for the money without a dog in the fight, but eventually friendship drove him to unlikely heroics. Finn is some kind of ultra pacificist pussy who flips the script and decides that murder is not for him, and is just fleeing from danger the entire film, ironically nonchalantly murdering all the dudes he grew up with no remorse until he reads the script, realizes he is going to be the love interest in the future films and and so 180's and is all let's go save that girl i literally just met and have shared all of 3 minutes of dialogue with.

Zignor 3_sl

shitlord
After giving it over a week to soak in, I watched this for a second time yesterday. I enjoyed it far more, and that's mostly due to having acclimated to the fact that I had seen the first true Star Wars sequel in over 30 years. This time I was ready to simply sit back and enjoy it. There are certainly still some things to nitpick. I still don't love the X-Wing assault on Starkiller. There's no real punch or suspense to it. It's very well-done X-Wing versus Tie Fighter action, but it's all rather generic. Phasma's "big" scene could have been done better; it was just too easy and clunky given a character that at leastlookslike we're supposed to believe she's a badass. The editing was off in certain spots, and I imagine a lot of that can be laid at the feet of the cuts that were made. I'm really hoping for a Lord of the Rings style extended edition of this, assuming the excised scenes aren't garbage.

I appreciated Driver a lot more. He truly was an inspired bit of casting. It makes me mad that we didn't get similar character depth and acting performance for Anakin in the prequels.

As to the complaints around the final duel, I think most are unfounded. Ren's fight with Finn made sense when you consider - first of all - that he took a direct hit square in his side with a weapon that was tossing stormtroopers backwards fifteen fucking feet. Second of all, he was clearly toying with Finn a bit, although I think he was attempting to look that way more than he actually was, as a means to gain a psychological edge over Finn to help make up for his wound. All nonsense was over when Finn snuck in a blow. After that, Ren destroyed him.

In the fight with Rey, he was much more aggressive off the bat, but I definitely got the sense that he was pushing only far enough to clearly hold the upper-hand, but not enough to kill her. This is made more clear when he has her on the ground and he tries to seduce her to his side. Once Rey does her little Force meditation and pulls from her "hidden" Jedi training, she is able to best the now twice-wounded and exhausted Ren (the guy that had just murdered his dad, by the way) who wasn't expecting that level of skill. I think a fully prepared and healthy Ren beats Rey in a lightsaber duel, but perhaps she was some kind of lightsaber prodigy during her training. Who knows? We don't yet, and that's the point. It's enough for now to be given the clues pointing to her training by Luke followed up with a memory-block.

After my first viewing, I went back and watched the OT. While there are certainly a ton of call-backs and many shared elements with ANH, they didn't bother me a smidgen this time (with the possible exception of Starkiller as Death Star 3.0). Almost all of it worked beautifully considering this movie's role in transitioning from our old favorite characters to the new leads as they move forward into the next two films. And whatever peoples' thoughts on Abrams and his Star Trek reboots, this is a massively better Star Wars film than they are Star Trek films. Had I been in a coma for the past three years and was suddenly shown this, I wouldn't have any idea that Abrams was involved. When I see people slinging shit his way over TFA, it just sounds like the baggage talking. This was an awesome Star Wars movie. It's not the best, no, but it's firmly OT-quality. Someone else above said it's actually motivated them to dip into the ancillary materials, and I agree completely. I've been enjoying reading through the Visual Dictionary and some of the other books. That was something the prequels never managed to make me want to do. I bought a couple TPM books right before TPM came out, but they were the last two.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
yeah this is obvious? not sure what people don't understand. Han is Obi-wan, Finn is Han. Of course their motivations are different. Han was a mercenary and smuggler and was only in it for the money without a dog in the fight, but eventually friendship drove him to unlikely heroics. Finn is some kind of ultra pacificist pussy who flips the script and decides that murder is not for him, and is just fleeing from danger the entire film, ironically nonchalantly murdering all the dudes he grew up with no remorse until he reads the script, realizes he is going to be the love interest in the future films and and so 180's and is all let's go save that girl i literally just met and have shared all of 3 minutes of dialogue with.
Luke is the one who wants to save the girl. Han is the one he drags along with him. If Finn is Han, who is Chewie?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The girl in this case is Luke, not sure how you are failing to comprehend the comparison? TFA is a reskinned new hope. The primary difference between the two movies is in the original star wars, "getting the droid to X" was merely a plot device to introduce the main characters of the story, basically luke, and we follow his story from there. Where as in TFA they took a page from Jedi (it's all about the toys) and made BB-8 the main protagonist and his mission to get the map to the resistance was the entire film. The other actors come and go in supporting roles in his journey. I mean I admit its a cute droid and i'm sure they are going to sell a fuck ton of very expensive electronics and cell phone app controlled replicas of the mother fucker but seriously. Movie suffers from it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Luke is the one who wants to save the girl. Han is the one he drags along with him. If Finn is Han, who is Chewie?
This is the bit where some of the dynamics change, because the "escape from the Death Star" arc occurs at the beginning rather than in the middle of the movie. Poe is assuming the Leia role : he has the secret data, hides it in the droid he sends away when the "Empire" is going to capture him, is interrogated with torture (a chair rather than the that ominous droid with huge needle) and spill the beans (about the droid rather than the Rebellion base), then gets sprung by the disguised Stromtroooper (which, funnily enough, is a real Stormtrooper this time), etc. The whole thing occur separate from "Luke" (Rey is still on the planet, and barely has time to save the droid from the Jawa-like scavenger), so there's only "Han" around to save him, but that's a complete reprise of Leia's role, event for event. You even had Leia flying the Millenium Falcon while Han was shooting (along with Luke) the pursuing Tie fighters, which is exactly what happens (Poe flies while Finn tries to shoot down stuff).

As for Chewie, he's still himself. If you think about him in the original movie, there's very little of a role; he stands around, hoots mournfully when someone does stupid stuff, and does not advance the plot in any meaningful way in ANH except being set as a fake prisoner in the Death Star infiltration. And guess who's around during the Death Star infiltration? Our fearless heroes are Rey (Luke), Finn (Han), Han (Obi-Wan) and... Chewie on the ground for that sequence (and "Leia" isn't there since his escape was done at the beginning).

Note that, in the original script, Poe dies during the crash; Leia reprises her role as generalissimo and all the rest, which is why Poe gets thrown in various other roles because he's no longer "Leia" at that point (he takes over Luke's flying and Death Star ultimate destruction since Rey gets to do a RTJ fight scene rather than the original flying scene. Despite having been cast as the kickass pilot, probably even better than Poe).

iannis

Musty Nester
I think you can say this is a decent star wars installment. It should be, since it's a variation on the first one. That's fine, actually. But it does leave the question open, "Is the next one just going to be a variation on Empire?"

You know, even if they do three for three direct variations, as disappointing as that would be, that would still better than the prequels. By far.

If it were me I might be tempted to play it precisely that safe with the tentpoles. There are going to be spinoff movies coming out, that's where I'd take the risks.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
you are most likely correct Iannis. I fully expect 8 to be a carbon copy of empire and 9 to be a copy of jedi.

Yeah that's still better than the prequels, but not by much.

Royal

But it does leave the question open, "Is the next one just going to be a variation on Empire?"
I think most people assume it's going to end with the good guys in a less rosy position than TFA. So on that level, more than likely yes. Will it mirror a whole host of plot points from ESB? I'm kinda doubting it. I mean we're gonna get some. The Resistance is going to have to set up shop on a new planet. Luke will be training up Rey. Ren will probably be sent to finish the job Snoke gave him. Those really no way around those though since the pretty much have to happen to move the story forward.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The only thing I thought was stupid was that this pale shadow of the imperial military managed to make an entire planet into a ridiculous over the top super weapon. But every fleet fight in the entire movie is star fighters and like 1 star destroyer cause apparently they spent all their money on a planet blower upper with a hyperspace laser. Also no one seemed to give much of a shit about the planets that did get blown up.

The most refreshing thing is this movie had weak elements of story but really not many weak elements of acting. The lowest moment was Han turning into bruce willis from live free or die hard in that one gun fight, and that wasn't even bad imo. The weak parts of the story I hope get fleshed out as more material is released over the next few years. I fault disney for that since it definitely felt like they focused and edited the story with an eye towards relaunching a huge franchise rather than just trying to make the best movie possible and letting that relaunch the relaunch franchise in itself.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I assume in deleted scene #345 Poe was given his black x-wing to commemorate his little joyride.

I still expect Luke to fight unarmed and catch lightsabers in his hands and other monk shit. The same sort of stuff we always thought Yoda would do, really. He'll force choke ten Knights at once and drop fortune cookie wisdom like "A true Jedi needs neither the light nor the dark." He won't need to do any of that Neo kung-fu shit either. He'll just mime a ripping motion with his hands and tear fuckers right in half. Just a Tarantino gore fest, all while playing it calm and cool like his first appearance in ROTJ.

That's how my erotic fan fiction went, anyway.

Jive Turkey

Karen
All you guys complaining about how similar the character roles in TFA are to the OT need to realize that every single main character in the OT was an archetype of every character ever written about in every hero journey ever. If you think the OT made up those roles, help yourself to a book. "X was Y in this one!" What a boring bunch of sophmoric, cynical wankery