Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Fadaar

That guy
I've always thought that R2 was the biggest troll in movie history. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That theory is pretty damn good. I've always looked at R2 as the brains behind the droid duo, and always thought that there was supposed to be more than meets the eye to Chewie. And while this theory is not 100% fool proof (for example, they forget that Owen first bought the red droid, so that whole negotion to have the Jawas sell R2 seems off), then I doubt it can get any better. There's just too much shit to explain considering how lazy Lucas is. I think this will be my new cannon til something better arrives.
Well, his part on the Jawa thing was:

R2 and 3PO bail out in an escape pod. Landing in vaguely the right area of Tattoine, R2's first priority is transport. He arranges to be captured by a group of Jawas and, once on board their vehicle, he makes a deal with them (possibly using emergency funds stored elsewhere on the planet) to take him where he wants to go. The Jawas refuse to go directly to Kenobi for fear of marauding Sandpeople but they agree to R2's second request : transport to the farm of Owen Lars. They even get to keep the purchase price if they can sell R2 and 3PO there. R2 and the Jawas shake on it and they go through with the plan.
So, if the Jawas had an inkling that Lars would want an R2 unit, then its in their best interest to get D2 sold rather than red D4. They could have sabotaged D4 just in case. Knowing Jawas they could have blown its fuse remotely as Lars walked away. There's nothing in the theoretical deal saying he had to be sold to Lars, just that they got him to the area, being sold there was simply the best case scenario.

I thought the entire idea of R2 bribing the Jawas seemed a bit more far fetched in general, but its possible to accept it. Again, none of it jibes with the tone of the original EP4, but Lucas did this to you!

Caliane

there is no luck. the living force blew the D4's motivator. you guys are looking too deep, when its explained right in the movie's fiction, its the will of the universe, enabling Luke to get into action.
R2 was heading towards Obiwans location, in the canyons, and was captured by Jawas in the canyon. that part was not intended. the force then aligned to get them back on track, and into Luke's hands.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The D4's motivator blew because it was a piece of fucking junk, did you see that thing? I don't know what the fuck Uncle Owen was thinking picking that one over R2 to begin with. Just goes to show how fucking stupid he was. Sand People, Empire forces? Who gives a shit, that man and his offspring were too dumb to let live. Maybe next time you'll just let your adopted son of the living embodiment of the force just go ahead to Toshi Station for some power converters instead of buying useless R2 units to work on "moisture vaporators". Oh no you won't, because you've been incinerated dipshit.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The D4's motivator blew because it was a piece of fucking junk, did you see that thing? I don't know what the fuck Uncle Owen was thinking picking that one over R2 to begin with. Just goes to show how fucking stupid he was. Sand People, Empire forces? Who gives a shit, that man and his offspring were too dumb to let live.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
didn't see much at all from the D23 convention today as far as Star Wars goes, maybe tomorrow. I heard rumor there's going to be a Rogue One trailer or at least bigger teaser than they showed at Celebration. Last week JJ confirmed there won't be a new ep7 trailer this weekend but there will be one in early fall.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
rrr_img_106510.jpg

Well Disney certainly is upping the merchandising quotient... who knew you could have Star Wars makeup?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Just remembered this post and had a thought about it. I mean, he's already named Skywalker in Ep4, so at best they could have fixed it that Own and Beru weren't actually his relatives and just friends of the family, and they were dumb enough to keep calling him by his real last name? Unless they never actually confirm Anakin's last name as Skywalker in the original trilogy, then they could say that he took Owen and Beru's name, although it would be pretty goddamn weird for a family of desert hick moisture farmers to have the last name Skywalker.

Also, Vader didn't know Padme survived long enough to give birth did he? So it's not like he would be be searching for the kid. I mean apparently the force can't detect pregnancies and nobody ever invented ultrasound a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away, because they didn't even know she was having twins. But I guess Obi-wan wouldn't know that Vader didn't know that Luke and Leia were born, so it's still pretty stupid to bring them to Owen and Beru. I suppose he didn't want to give both kids out to total strangers and was too lazy to raise Luke himself.

But realistically he definitely should have taken Luke to some random ass planet in that gigantic galaxy with absolutely no importance or historical significance to the Jedi or the Sith, and raised the boy himself. And trained the ever loving shit out of him from the very first moment he displayed force sensitivity.
Don't forget that they thought anakin was dead. So he wasn't really hiding luke from his dad, who might have gone back to tatooine for sentimental reasons. Just from the emperor who didn't know the kid existed, and tatooine was an insignificant hutt controlled planet anyway that he figured the empire wouldn't be interested in for at least 20 years.

You could make a better argument against Bail appointing Leia to the senate where she'd be in close proximity to both the emperor and vader. Of course, Bail didn't know who vader was either, and I'm not sure if he knew anything about palpatine being a sith lord.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Unless they never actually confirm Anakin's last name as Skywalker in the original trilogy, then they could say that he took Owen and Beru's name, although it would be pretty goddamn weird for a family of desert hick moisture farmers to have the last name Skywalker.
They kind of do this indirectly - in the scene in RotJ where Yoda is dying he says 'there is another Skywalker' basically confirming the 'surname' of the family because Leia goes by Organa.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
He just says "there is another" unless that's some more special edition fuckery.
In Empire, yes, if you're referring to Yoda conversing with Obi-wan's ghost. I think he's referring to in Jedi, Yoda's last words before he dies: "There is another Skywalker."

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Confirmed. When Luke takes off for Cloud City in TESB, against Yoda's advice, Obi-Wan's ghost says "This boy is our last hope".. and Yoda says as the scene fades out "No, there is another..".

In ROTJ, Yoda's last words are indeed "There's... another... Sky.. wal... ker".. (seems to take longer for him to say it every time I watch that scene..)

Caliane

Don't forget that they thought anakin was dead. So he wasn't really hiding luke from his dad, who might have gone back to tatooine for sentimental reasons. Just from the emperor who didn't know the kid existed, and tatooine was an insignificant hutt controlled planet anyway that he figured the empire wouldn't be interested in for at least 20 years.

You could make a better argument against Bail appointing Leia to the senate where she'd be in close proximity to both the emperor and vader. Of course, Bail didn't know who vader was either, and I'm not sure if he knew anything about palpatine being a sith lord.
no, Obi-wan knew Vader was Anakin.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
But it seems likely he found that out some time in between Ep 3 and Ep 4, so he did think Anakin was dead when he brought Luke to Tattooine.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There should be a new trailer out in September to go along with a big toy sales event at Walmart. A friend said they would have the trailer playing during the event.