Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015)

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Uh, you do understand that they use the energy of the star to destroy planets in an entirely different star system right?
lol.

Dont be so hard on him, its such a preposterous thing that people are naturally going to be confused.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just imagine Frau Farbissina from Austin Powers shouting "Fire the weapon!" and that's about as much thought as you need.

Caliane

no. hes saying, how is there any life on that planet itself, if it eats the star? or is mobile as some of us suggested, meaning long? periods in hyperspace with no sunlight.

Nerd making up shit, thats not in the movie, in order to explain this shit incoming:
Perhaps we can explain the "sun going dark" as simply part of the planets rotation? The siphon, was stationary in the planet right? as the planet rotated, it would lose line of sight. "fully charged, and ready to fire" could simply have been when it spun away, and could no longer pull in any more plasma.
ALSO, we might be able to explain the plasma beam itself, as an orbital platform, unseen. A satellite that captured, and redirected the enegy down to the planet. Logic would say this platform would have been the weak link in defense, IF, the beam had not already begun to charge. But since it did start, destroying this platform would have been too late to stop the weapon, and thus, not the target of the attack.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Jesus christ yes let's press for explanations of scientific minutiae on the movie about space wizards and invisible forces.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
you can't sit there and shit on Disney for the media blits, marketing, and running IPs into the ground. When Lucas fucking invented that. Battle for endor, , starwars monopoly, starwars trivial pursiut, starwars the flamethrower.
And the pi?ce de r?sistance ...

SWCerealbox.jpg~original

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This thread has come full circle now.

Anyway, Disney is going to milk the fuck out of this ip. They are going to do so many spin off movies and series, its going to get ridiculous. I bet they are going to do like a side movie about Rey and how she managed to get that speeder bike whilst struggling to feed herself on the sandy outer rim world Jakku. Or a movie featuring General Hux and his rise through the ranks of the First Order. These are retarded ideas but I bet they do abuse they fervor out there and just crank out whatever they can for profit.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'd like to feed on rey's outer rim.

BTW I saw the movie, it was good, felt like star wars, actually felt like they remade a new hope. Good reboot though.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Uh, you do understand that they use the energy of the star to destroy planets in an entirely different star system right?
Yes I did get that, and it's arguably a bigger issue than my science nitpicks, because it makes no sense in-universe. Every ship has to travel through hyperspace to go anywhere, but the Starkiller weapon beams travel across the galaxy instantly. There is no point to other ships or armies, nor of characters travelling anywhere if there is galaxy-wide instagib weapon.

They wanted to outdo the Deathstar but overdid it on scope.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not defending the superweapon, I think it's quite possibly the dumbest, most unrealistic, and overpowered superweapon in the history of Sci-Fi. Top 5 at the very least. Just saying the effects on the system of the destroyed star aren't terribly relevant. Obviously some sort of technological magic keeps starkiller base itself habitable.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ok Draegan, what's next, are you gonna tell people to stop talking about lightsabers in the Star Wars thread?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ok Draegan, what's next, are you gonna tell people to stop talking about lightsabers in the Star Wars thread?
Talk about what you want. I'm personally surprised you have a problem with this stupid weapon but not with the age of ultron one.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Talk about what you want. I'm personally surprised you have a problem with this stupid weapon but not with the age of ultron one.
I don't recall ever even having an opinion one way or the other about the AoU weapon. I mean I'm sure I could pick at it, but levitating a giant chunk of rock up into the air so you can slam it back down to the ground isn't exactly on the same scale of ridiculous as a planet-sized mobile military installation with a weapon that can destroy an entire star system from anywhere in the galaxy.

There are easier ways to get hydrogen and helium... except it's clearly using energy from the nuclear fusion
I don't think there is any point at trying to pick apart that specific aspect of Starkiller base, it's so far beyond our current understanding of physics that it's basically just magic.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I don't think there is any point at trying to pick apart that specific aspect of Starkiller base, it's so far beyond our current understanding of physics that it's basically just magic.
I just thought that argument was particularly silly

"What do we need a fusion reactor for? We've got hydrogen and helium right here"

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
I'm not defending the superweapon, I think it's quite possibly the dumbest, most unrealistic, and overpowered superweapon in the history of Sci-Fi. Top 5 at the very least. Just saying the effects on the system of the destroyed star aren't terribly relevant. Obviously some sort of technological magic keeps starkiller base itself habitable.
JJ Abrams has proven he's not all that boned up on his science. He's more into the Fi part.

On the life and pristine Alpine forests part: I assumed the base somehow was mobile, so maybe it parks in a system, eats its star, then moves?

Totally stupid weapon though, especially considering how easily it was destroyed.

Maybe the next movie will feature a super massive black hole gun.. that an x wing will destroy with one shot....again.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Totally stupid weapon though, especially considering how easily it was destroyed.
You mean when the group infiltrated the base, had a master officer lower the shields, detonated within the weak spot from inside to allow fighters in, then had an amazing fighter run to successfully destroy it? Yeah, way2Ezm8.

Oatlord_sl

shitlord
There are easier ways to get hydrogen and helium... except it's clearly using energy from the nuclear fusion
I don't think that's how it works? You can't siphon off the energy from the fusion reaction inside the core of star by hoovering up hydrogen from its surface.

BUT IF YOU COULD....you would be advanced enough that you wouldn't do such a stupid thing. Again, many easier ways to destroy Republic scum if you're that smart.

Jive Turkey

Karen
I don't think that's how it works? You can't siphon off the energy from the fusion reaction inside the core of star by hoovering up hydrogen from its surface.
I mean, it's completely implausible either way, but it makes more sense that they were siphoning off the energy released by the fusion reaction rather than the hydrogen or helium atoms themselves... I realize 'energy' is a wishy washy term here, but I think it gets a pass in sci-fi.
Maybe they should've just fed ewok carcasses into some sort of steam powered death ray

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
BUT IF YOU COULD....you would be advanced enough that you wouldn't do such a stupid thing. Again, many easier ways to destroy Republic scum if you're that smart.
Like the Death Stars before it, part of the weapon's function was to inspire terror and awe in the remaining systems to allow them to be brought into line and exploited without destroying them.

There's not much to be gained by being the ultimate power in a galaxy full of floating rubble.